Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve job on ls6 head

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve job on ls6 head

I was wondering how much more flow you could get with a ls6 head with 2.05 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves with a 4 or 5 angle valve job and stock ports. Compared to a ls6 head that has stock valves and ported intake and exhaust ports. Does anyone have a flow sheet to compare the 2. The reason I ask is because I would like to keep the tip in throttle response I would have with the stock ports. compared to the sluggishness of hogged out ports

Last edited by crimsonwarrior; 03-09-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe you would gain more from a properly ported head and stock valves than to just add larger valves alone. You're still dealing with the same port which can only support a certain amount of air at a certain speed. You can make a stock valve act like a larger valve by changing your intake lobe profile but then that throws the volumetric efficiency in the toilet if you're not a high rpm...or the rpm intended for the cam you have...you lose the port velocity. A lot of throttle response is dependant on the cam timing and the intake closing point, it's not only about the intake port size or shape.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
I believe you would gain more from a properly ported head and stock valves than to just add larger valves alone. You're still dealing with the same port which can only support a certain amount of air at a certain speed. You can make a stock valve act like a larger valve by changing your intake lobe profile but then that throws the volumetric efficiency in the toilet if you're not a high rpm...or the rpm intended for the cam you have...you lose the port velocity. A lot of throttle response is dependant on the cam timing and the intake closing point, it's not only about the intake port size or shape.
It seems you could get more low and midrange power from a proper valve job than you could with the huge ported runners that most sponsers here advertise except for AFR and ET that has the small runners. Every dyno graph I see here the cars with heads that have huge runners the power doesnt really come on till 4k rpm and is a turd below that. It just seems to me with a proper valve job you could make just as much power with a proper valve job with stock ports
Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you're better off, keepin the stock valves and investing in some bowl work...