Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use a Monster torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever use a Monster torque converter?

They are supposedly good and have 3 yr. warranty. They also had an article in Camaro Performers. I just blew my converter today...It was a Dacco 2200-2400 stall. It lasted a year even through many nitrous hits, but I recently put the cam in my sig. in and today I floored it from 45, it grabbed and started pulling, then when it shifted it crapped out... lol oh well. My 87' Camaro did the exact same thing...must be an issue with these things.
Anyway, back to the question at hand. Anyone run one of the Monster Transmission products? (specifically the stall) I want a decent one that will handle good power, but I'm not paying for name.
website is www.eatmyshift.com cool name....

Last edited by BlackZ28629; 03-10-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would suggest you look at ours or one other the other sponsors, I do not know much about Monster but I do know here you will find the best backing in the business no matter which sponsor you go with

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Do not skimp on torque converters.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Launching!

materials and build is what it comes down to and like I said, Im not paying for a name. Anyone that HAS one of these please tune in, otherwise do not respond please. I am def. aware of all the $600 and up converters out there with brand names and without. It makes no difference to me what brand it is as long as it has the right materials I need and the build is good w/ good efficiency.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Am I gonna be the guinnea pig on this one? lol
Somebody's got to know something on these.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure it is the converter, something in the tranny could have broken as well. What stall are you looking for? What year model is your car??

Chris
Old 03-10-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I didnt think that all ls motors came with a 4l65e, that is what it says on their site about the 4l60e converter. As far as i know that is wrong so i would avoid buying parts from a company that doesnt know what they are building parts for.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your converter that blew up was a stock rebuilder type converter, and most likely a modified stock 12" unit. Horribly inefficient. I've got both a Yank in my LS1 TA, and a Precision Industries in my SBC Z28, and both work very, very well. Worth every penny. Never heard of a Monster converter. Why be a test bed for an unknown converter? Do you like to gamble? Just buy what's proven to work and work well. Yank and Precision Industries at the top of the list - and although I have no experience with the Circle-D converter, I hear they're pretty decent
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Launching!

It went all at once so when I take it out, I'll inspect the pump and make sure no debris was put into the tranny and change the fluid/filter. I doubt anything messed up in the tranny itself, but I'll have a look. And by the way, I thought that crappy "rebuilder type" stall did pretty well considering I sprayed the hell out of it and it did not even have anti-balloon plates. It lasted a little over a year with severe driving conditions, and I basically got it for next to nothing; so I think I got my moneys worth. As far as Yank and Precision, I am sure they have great products, but right now I'm trying to get back on the road ASAP not spend $700 on a converter when I can get one for $300. Plus the Monster has a great warranty which I've not seen with other performance type converters. If no one has tried it, then how can anyone know? I am a scientist so I like experimentation even if the result is not favorable; that is how you progress and gain invaluable knowledge and information. Try new things. If everyone stayed the same and played it safe, the world would be at a stand-still and it isn't. Therefore we find that experimentation is essential to the progress of life itself; in all aspects...whoa didn't mean to go all philosophical...lol

Oh and the 4L65E has a lock-up while their other category (4L60E) has NO lock-up..only difference. I asked one of their techs to make sure.

Last edited by BlackZ28629; 03-10-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

If its a money issue of getting the car going right now. I've got a TCI 4400 for a 4l60e that i've had good results with that I can give ya a good price on. I dont know what size stall you were looking for? I respect that you like to experiment, I've done a fair amount myself. I just dont get a good vibe from this company. There was a craze a while back about Redneck Performance. They sell transmissions and converters for a good price on Ebay. I remember a lot of people taking a plunge and trying out their products. They were convinced that this was the product to have and would post up with their awesome results. I'm still waiting to see these results. I knew someone personally that bought one of their th400 converters and experienced something like 17% slip, lol. I'm sure their are people that run these Monster products, otherwise the company would not be in business. Maybe the owners are too embarassed to release their results though. Most of the time you'll only hear feedback when a product rocks or when their is something completely wrong that warrants a complaint. the mediocre ones just seem to slip by and continue to take peoples money. Roll the dice if ya want, I just have a feeling you're gonna get burned. If you do go for it be sure to post results good or bad though, just so people will know in the future.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can also respect your desire to experiment, but when I find someone or several that have already experimented for me, I am not about to drop the cash on gamble with poor odds. I am always trying new things to have that edge over my competitors, but when an idea is shared that is proven, I'm all over it.

I have learned over the years that one should not cut corners on cylinder heads or torque converters. A poorly built cylinder head can take out the engine and a poorly built converter can take out a good transmission. Both would be costly lessons.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackZ28629
As far as Yank and Precision, I am sure they have great products, but right now I'm trying to get back on the road ASAP not spend $700 on a converter when I can get one for $300. Plus the Monster has a great warranty which I've not seen with other performance type converters.
Many, many members have proven that a $300 converter is just that, a $300 converter. You mention you want a converter made with good components and to get that you have to pay for it. As for warranty, all Yank converters come with a three year warranty as well. I don't know what Precision's warranty is, but I know they stand by their product.

If you do try them out, more power to you and please let us know the results! I'm always interested to see how other products work.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Launching!

thanks for your input guys...I was actually set on a TCI3000 but I just came across this company and it seemed like it was one of those fate type deals...could be a crappy converter but I have googled them and no one has seemed to use their converter for LS1 cars. All the customer reviews are from people with street rods and such. They all had good things to say but then again they probably don't punish their drivelines like we do. I'm not fully set on what I am gonna do yet, but I will def. post up results if I go with the Monster so that everyone will know. I'll even get a techII to look at efficiency.

NOw that I think about it, the TCI is not that much more...What do you guys think about TCI?

Last edited by BlackZ28629; 03-11-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

i ran across these folks on ebay they have been selling 5years with 100% positive feed back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...spagenameZWDVW

i looked around on there web site and kept getting that too good to be true feeling.
maybe ok though be sure to post back if you give them a try.

Last edited by sreve; 03-11-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Launching!

looks like I am prob. gonna be a guinnea pig for this one, but at least my courage to try something new will help all others in the future
I think the main reason Im going with this one is because the anti-balloon plates that will be added will only make the total price $320. Also has an option for diode stator...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Good luck and let us know how it comes out I can say we pay that or more in materials alone for ours so I will be curious how they work , May have to call them

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

I would be honored to be the first to say I told you so and you are welcome
Old 03-12-2008, 04:46 AM
TECH Addict

'*PLEASE NOTE: If you have a 4.8, 5.3, LS1 or 6.0L engine - You have a unique style 4L60E called the 4L65E (found in most all late model applications), Click Here for pricing and information on 4L65E torque converters.'

Didn't know we had 'unique' style tranny and never heard of such a thing. My build sheet lists as 4L60E.

Plus, $135 to $249 for a performance verter? Good luck to you on this one. Advertised verter 3 year warranty means NOTHING after it takes a **** and spreads fragments all thru your tranny and trashes that in the process.

Hell, I'd install a factory verter back in before this - I even have one I'd sell ya...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Launching!

GOOD NEWS GUYS! I interrogated the tech and found out that the converter would be from Dacco! (I can get one of those for nothing) I'm so glad I dug into it more! Thanks for all your input. I believe I am gonna go with a TCI.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What stall speed are you looking for. I offer a 3000 LS1 for $350. Great economical converter.

Chris

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use a Monster torque converter?