Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Removed true dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removed true dual exhaust

I had the idea that true dual exhaust was going to suit the needs of my new motor better. But with the lowered suspension and wanting the full 3" duals over the axle.....there just wasn't enough room. I'm going with a forged 383 motor pushing more boost from the ProCharger (hopefully about 12 lbs). I've now switched to a kook's catted y-pipe and went back to my old borla cat back. Much cleaner and definitely more room. I've got a custom 3" duals for sale btw.

Pics of 3" duals installed

Now with Kook's y-pipe and borla

Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

What cats are you using?

I want to switch to true duals because I'm tired of the rasp I get with my GMMG. Sucks that there isn't enough room to get the 3" pipes over the axle though.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Magnaflow cats. The "mufflers" on this setup are Sweet Thunder. I thought about redoing the portion over the axle to 2.5" but it would still have the issues with clearence underneath anyway. Is your car lowered? If not, this will fit better on yours than mine.

Last edited by ntimid8r; 03-10-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added sweet thunder link
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hey, I want your TD setup, please PM me with a price, I can send you the money by friday
Old 03-10-2008, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

PM sent
Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ntimid8r
Magnaflow cats. The "mufflers" on this setup are Sweet Thunder. I thought about redoing the portion over the axle to 2.5" but it would still have the issues with clearence underneath anyway. Is your car lowered? If not, this will fit better on yours than mine.
Mine isn't lowered but will be soon I think. Curtis has 2.5" over the axle and they fit pretty well. Those "mufflers" look interesting. How did you like the sound?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

pm sent
Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How low were you w/ your dual 3" setup? It looked pretty tucked to me but I'm guessing over the axle was the problem? Why didn't you route the other over the DS? I want duals but I'm slammed and don't know if it's possible so my just get a 4" setup instead.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DanWS6
Mine isn't lowered but will be soon I think. Curtis has 2.5" over the axle and they fit pretty well. Those "mufflers" look interesting. How did you like the sound?
I never fired the motor with those on, so I don't know exactly how they sound. These have been built for other guys locally and they sounded good. Fairly quiet at idle, then gets real loud in upper rpms.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SRZ
How low were you w/ your dual 3" setup? It looked pretty tucked to me but I'm guessing over the axle was the problem? Why didn't you route the other over the DS? I want duals but I'm slammed and don't know if it's possible so my just get a 4" setup instead.
I'm on Eibach Pro-kit. The duals are tucked up as tight as can be, but the cat is lower than the cross-member. Also the portion of the tubing by the differential, is even lower than that. It needed to be low so when I jack the car up, the rearend doesn't sit on the exhaust. Then over the axle is extremely tight, rattling is inevitable. I also have the spohn torque arm with the flat bar (for clearance). The duals sat on top of the cross-bar and will rattle there too. It's just not how I want things to be, I thought about going to a 4" system but not many choices there. Seems like alot of members use a 3" and borla with FI and are seemingly happy with it. From what I've been told, unless you're into the 800 rwhp or above....a good 3" system works just fine. So that's what I'm hoping. Plus the 3" alleviates all the scraping and rattling issues for my situation. For the most part.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myfast70
pm sent
return pm sent
Old 03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

What cats are you using?

I want to switch to true duals because I'm tired of the rasp I get with my GMMG. Sucks that there isn't enough room to get the 3" pipes over the axle though.
Im pretty sure if you get the upper pan hard bar it allows for more room with true duals...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

I never fired the motor with those on, so I don't know exactly how they sound. These have been built for other guys locally and they sounded good. Fairly quiet at idle, then gets real loud in upper rpms.
Interesting. I loved the GMMG back when I had cats and the car was stock but after ditching the cats and adding a blower I get too much rasp.

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
Im pretty sure if you get the upper pan hard bar it allows for more room with true duals...
I've looked into those before. I've never seen them actually in use to know they provide enough clearance for sure. Part of the problem too is the size of the rear. I haven't decided which one I'm going with yet.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
In the pic above, that is the BMR panhard bar relocation bracket to allow more room. Actually that part isn't the problem, it's the width of the two 3" exhaust tubes. Here's some more pics.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Interesting. I loved the GMMG back when I had cats and the car was stock but after ditching the cats and adding a blower I get too much rasp.
That's what I've heard from other guys taking the cats off too, it sounds too raspy.

I've looked into those before. I've never seen them actually in use to know they provide enough clearance for sure. Part of the problem too is the size of the rear. I haven't decided which one I'm going with yet.
In hind-site I was thinking about going to 2.5" just for "over the axle". So having a 3" for most of the system, then squeezing it down a bit to fit better in the tight areas. Just a thought.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

In hind-site I was thinking about going to 2.5" just for "over the axle". So having a 3" for most of the system, then squeezing it down a bit to fit better in the tight areas. Just a thought.
That's most likely what I'll do if I decide to go with the true duals. Thanks for showing the pick of that relocation bar.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

That's most likely what I'll do if I decide to go with the true duals. Thanks for showing the pick of that relocation bar.
I think that's the best situation for these f-bodies. No problem showing the pics.....glad it gave you a good view of the situation.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Curtis has 2.5" over the axle and they fit pretty well.
Who?
What?

Quick Reply: Removed true dual exhaust