Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Making the GTO go 'round corners faster

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making the GTO go 'round corners faster

Hey guys, I'm getting a new car this spring, and I'm down to a few candidates, the most likely being a 2005 GTO. Problem is, I've owned three cars, two of which both had curb weights under 3000 lbs (the third car was an L67 Buick Riviera... great ride (and motor), but the thing fought you the entire way if you tried pushing it into turns), and I've gotten a bit spoiled on how a car that light handles.

The main thing keeping me from just pulling the trigger on the GTO is the weight. All the reviews I've read say the car corners predictably, but rolls quite a bit under hard cornering. I'd likely do new wheels and a couple of other weight saving mods, but I think the rest would be in the suspension.

So what does it take to make this car eat the curves? I don't mind a sacrifice in ride quality - don't quite want it Z06 harsh, but it doesn't have to be luxury-car smooth. Input from folks who've dropped their GTO's and/or put harder springs in or different sway bars would be highly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Panoptic
Hey guys, I'm getting a new car this spring, and I'm down to a few candidates, the most likely being a 2005 GTO. Problem is, I've owned three cars, two of which both had curb weights under 3000 lbs (the third car was an L67 Buick Riviera... great ride (and motor), but the thing fought you the entire way if you tried pushing it into turns), and I've gotten a bit spoiled on how a car that light handles.

The main thing keeping me from just pulling the trigger on the GTO is the weight. All the reviews I've read say the car corners predictably, but rolls quite a bit under hard cornering. I'd likely do new wheels and a couple of other weight saving mods, but I think the rest would be in the suspension.

So what does it take to make this car eat the curves? I don't mind a sacrifice in ride quality - don't quite want it Z06 harsh, but it doesn't have to be luxury-car smooth. Input from folks who've dropped their GTO's and/or put harder springs in or different sway bars would be highly appreciated.
Hotchkis sway bars front and rear are a must. Shocks and struts (either koni's, pedders GSR's or some other brand, your choice here). Lowering springs if youd like it lower, pedders made a 0" drop spring. You will need a whole lot of bushings (xmembers, diff insert, radius rods, strut bushings, etc. etc.).

You will need a good set of wheels and tires to get the bet out of your suspension mods also. Im sure I and many members here could go on and on about this.

But what do you want out of the car exactly?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AshyLarry
But what do you want out of the car exactly?
I wish we got that for every post...LOL

What Larry said.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by geeteego
I wish we got that for every post...LOL

What Larry said.
Well im sure its something like this. Reliable, fast, handles, cheap, nice to drive

Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

the gto handles fine just as it is
Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 AM
On The Tree

^^^Yeah, but it handles much better with a little bit of help.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Yea, I have the Pedders Track II kit on the car and it's way better than stock. I would say the only thing to add to a Track II kit would be front and rear sway bars, and better tires. Mine is also lowered 1" in the front and 1/2" in the back.

Quick Reply: Making the GTO go 'round corners faster