General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Plugs seized or stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs seized or stuck

didn't use anti seize last time I put in tthe NGK TR 55's.

went to pull the number one plug today, and it wouldn't budge. I'm guessing breaker bar will be only way to budge it.

What do you guys think? will I have problems?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

get the engine warm, that might help. How much did you torque the plugs last time?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say hand tight then a quarter turn.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use a breaker bar, as gently as possible. And get some anti seize for this time of course.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get something with some extra leverage, and have some band-aids handy for when it breaks loose and your hand inevitably flies into something pointy/sharp. You won't be making that same mistake again.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Just get something with some extra leverage, and have some band-aids handy for when it breaks loose and your hand inevitably flies into something pointy/sharp. You won't be making that same mistake again.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. I'm looking forward to the number 8 plug.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

if you have headers ..maybe even stock not sure tho never did it, # 8 is easy from the bottom.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Teching In

a breaker bar and SLOW on breaking it loose.

jason
Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Transamman
get the engine warm, that might help. How much did you torque the plugs last time?

DON'T warm the engine up and then try to break them free. That is one thing that you NEVER do with aluminum heads. When aluminum is heated, you have the potential of pulling the threads and causing major headaches. You soak them down and heat them up when you have steel heads. When the car is hot and off, spray them down and let them soak and cool (overnight is a good amount of time) this gives it time to sink into the threads and start to work. Then use slow, smooth even pressure when loosening. Also, don't "over" anti sieze them. If you do that, when the car heats up, the antisieze gets into a more liquid state, and could run onto the electrode and cause problems. Seen it happen a few times
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
DON'T warm the engine up and then try to break them free. That is one thing that you NEVER do with aluminum heads. When aluminum is heated, you have the potential of pulling the threads and causing major headaches. You soak them down and heat them up when you have steel heads. When the car is hot and off, spray them down and let them soak and cool (overnight is a good amount of time) this gives it time to sink into the threads and start to work. Then use slow, smooth even pressure when loosening. Also, don't "over" anti sieze them. If you do that, when the car heats up, the antisieze gets into a more liquid state, and could run onto the electrode and cause problems. Seen it happen a few times
+1 dude dont heat them up and try and work on them. really bad idea. just like blackduk98 said, pull the wires off and then soak them. slow and steady pressure and they will come out. i would use pb blaster. i use that stuff for everything mechanical on the car. good luck!!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
EXACTLY, on another note when applying anti-sieze try not to get any towards the tip of the plug, like the upper half. Midway and on down and your good to go : )

jason