General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car Craft LQ4 article

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Craft LQ4 article

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...ock/index.html

This article states that they took a stock LQ4, siwtched to a carb setup and MSD ignition and made 425hp.

If the stock engine is rated @ 335hp how did they get 425?

To me this really screws with the statement that they made 480hp with a mild cam swap and headers.

Does anyone have any insight into this?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Test Time
Right out of the used-engine cradle and onto our dyno test stand with the carburetor, MSD ignition conversion, and headers, this otherwise bone-stock 6.0L small-block maintained no less than 400 lb-ft of torque from 2,200 to 5,400 rpm and managed to crank out a peak torque of 439 at 4,400. On the horsepower side, the little 366 cranked out an impressive 425 hp. Generally, a 355ci Gen I small-block would need a healthy cam and some good heads to pull off power numbers like these. This power was encouraging but not really surprising. Because we knew the cam was tame, the next step was a GM Performance Parts Hot cam with specs that most enthusiasts would classify as mild at best.
Test 1 was with the stock, iron 6.0L short-block and production iron heads assisted with a GMPP single-plane intake manifold, a 750 Holley carburetor, and a set of 131/44-inch Kooks long-tube headers.
I'm guessing that the headers and intake helped, and maybe they turned up the timing? Gains do seem a bit on the generous side.

ADMIN
Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Teching In

That is what I am thinking. I don't want to go ahead and follow their article only to find out the power gains aren't real. I plan on sticking with the fuel injection and heads that I have and am aiming for 450hp. I'm just worried the cam swap, header swap and computer reprogramming won't get me there. Even a 115hp increase from a cam, header and reprogram seems generous.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

My subscription to car craft ended in 2001 because of **** like this. These tests IMO are one big advertisement.
Back in 2001 I copied one of their builds and it WAS a GEN 1, 355 with a mild Comp 268XE, 750 Holley, perf RPM intake and out of the box vortec heads. They said it made 420 hp.
So basically 7 years ago they were again taking a junkyard truck engine with vortec heads, swapping the cam and replacing the FI with a carb and claiming big hp, same thing they're doing here. And only 5 hp more with a 366 CI engine.
Since then they've done several other tests with vortec heads and big power claims. Now that the vortec gen 1 swaps are old, the new thing is the LS engines starting to hit junkyards.
Seems like a pattern.

Quick Reply: Car Craft LQ4 article