General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

good plan? advice very much welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good plan? advice very much welcome

alright well i am a new member but not new to the site. i have been on here everyday for the past couple months just reading stuff and i am finally close to bceoming an owner. the cars i am choosing from are either a 98-02 WS6 or a 98-02 SS. but here is what i plan to do with my money. i am on a budget of $9,000 a year [or right around] for mods alone. i broke it down into sections, 3 parts of 4 months each. i plan to buy mods at the end of each month and put them on with a friend of mine. i have 5 or 6 real options on cars so that is not a problem. i did alot of number crunching, resreach, and shopping around and here is waht i have so far:

Section 1
month 1
-UD pulley, lid, (self) p&p stock TB, SPEC stage 2+ clutch kit
month 2
Kooks Headers
month 3
TSP True Duals
month 4
X pipe---dont know where from yet
~extra $$=$650

Section 2
month 5
-saving month, no mods
month 6
-Moser 9 inch
month 7
-BF Goodrich Drag Radials [ideas on good size appreciated]

so far that is all i have. in section 2 i will have about $200 left to spend or save. other mods that i would like to do are:

-TSP MS4 Camshaft, PRC Spring Kit & Pushrod Package
-complete fuel system from Nasty Performance ]pretty sure thats where im going..trying to stick with sponsors]
-direct port nitrous [150 shot??]

after that, i really don't know what i want to do. my goal before the nitrous would be to 430RWHP-ish or maybe slightly into the 11s. i dont think either of those are too unreasonable. a friend of mine has an SS w/ full bolt-ons, fuel system and a MS4 and he got 420rwhp & stock clutch ran a 11.xx, not too sure but he didnt spray his 100 shot.

i am going to keep this car for a couple years as my daily driver [yes with the ms4] and it will see a decent amount of track time also.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.
any further advice is very much appreciated. i am not set in stone on this plan but i think it works pretty well in progression of what i get. if you have thoughts/comments please speak. ideas on changes good, and i would definately like to hear about ideas for the final 5 months i have open.

[PS- year two will be a saving year most likely for a turbo ]
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Section 1
month 1
-UD pulley, lid, (self) p&p stock TB, SPEC stage 2+ clutch kit Good choices
month 2
Kooks HeadersGood headers
month 3
TSP True DualsGood choice
month 4
X pipe---dont know where from yet
~extra $$=$650Jegs has a budget one and I'm sure TSP does also

Section 2
month 5
-saving month, no mods
month 6
-Moser 9 inch Good choice, get the upgrades
month 7
-BF Goodrich Drag Radials [ideas on good size appreciated]Good choices Get some ZR1 17x11 in the back then 315/35/17

Get a Fast Toys 85mm Lid, SLP 85mm Maf and a Fast Toys Ram air. Also where are your suspension mods? I would stop with the usual bolt ons and do suspension then look into the cam and heads etc
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

also look in getting atleast an LS6 intake if you get a pre01-02 car. With your plans it would probably be better to buy a FAST 92/92 or wait for the weiand
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 PM

thanks..
i wasnt gonna go to far with bolt-ons. just enough to support the other mods that benefit from them. but i was thinking of making the final 5 months all about suspension. i know thats a big deal when wanting to get power down to the wheels.

as for the goals...cracking 11s and 430rwhp sound doable after all that plus susp.??

random question: when should i go for a new driveshaft? [around what power?]
Old 03-11-2008, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

11s is possible i have seen them do 11s with less hp. but they had a killer suspension set up. you will need a new drive shaft when you buy the 9 inch rear. because the length will be shorter.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 PM

thanks.

im set on the 9" cuz from what ive found hear, alot of people are making mistakes. alot of ppl go with 12 bolt. on here thought i found
12 blot = auto
9 inch = 6spd

how much will a carbon fiber one run you? i know its the best [lightest, most durable, splinters instead of shattering taking parts with it] and i know its expensive but just how much??

everyone get the advice flowing!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Get a Fast Toys 85mm Lid, SLP 85mm Maf and a Fast Toys Ram air.
Sure,NO!!,Not worth it

Originally Posted by LSx F-body
thanks.

im set on the 9" cuz from what ive found hear, alot of people are making mistakes. alot of ppl go with 12 bolt. on here thought i found
12 blot = auto
9 inch = 6spd

how much will a carbon fiber one run you? i know its the best [lightest, most durable, splinters instead of shattering taking parts with it] and i know its expensive but just how much??
]

You are right, m6, go 9 inch. Make sure you don't forgot about suspension, at the least get some LCA's. Carbon fiber DS is around 350 from what i've seen.

Last edited by chavez885; 03-12-2008 at 01:29 PM.