Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut mounts breaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut mounts breaking

I've installed kyb gr2 struts and shocks in my camaro about a year ago and installed 2 new TRW strut mounts. One day while driving I hit a pothole that wasnt very deep and the driver side strut mount busted on me. The strut was fine and I limped it to my buddy's shop.

He installed a new strut mount by KYB in the drivers side and It worked for a couple months (just like the other). Today I took her out and drove around a bit since shes getting a cam headers etc tomorrow. I went over some train tracks and the drivers side mount busted AGAIN! They were installed correctly both times... Anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have lowering springs? If so, you may be running out of shock travel due to the shorter springs, which then bottoms the shocks and they go "solid", overloading the shock mount.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the stock springs in it. I installed KYB GR2 struts and shocks in it. Thats about it...

I installed them and the new mount at my school with my teacher helping me since I have not installed shocks/struts before. Worked for awhile then it broke.

Took it to my mechanic and he put in a new strut mount and same thing a couple months later it breaks...