Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for info on direct port fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on direct port fuel system

I have a nos pro shot fogger direct port coming and I'm gonna need a fuel system. I was figuring on running a holly blue pump. Anyone have pics or setup information? I'm curious where to mount the fuel cell, regulator and filter. Also which ones to get. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Looking for info on direct port fuel system

Without going into a long answere check this diag out on this site:

www.producteng.com/images/Diagrams/PUMP_INSTALLATION.gif

This will give you the idea of what lines to use and what not. As for what pump to use, here is a formula to figure out what will be needed:

Use a hand held calculator and plan on .5 lbs/hp-hr (gasoline). Methanol Alcohol requires about 1.0 lbs/hp-hr. Use .7 lbs/hp-hr when planning a gasoline system for nitrous assist.

EXAMPLE: You have a 650 hp engine. 650hp x .5 = 325 lbs/hr (gasoline). Although you need to know how much your fuel weighs, assume for this example that it weighs 6.2 lbs/gal. 325 lbs/hr 6.2 = 52.42 gal/hr. Dividing by 60 (minutes per hour) yields .847 gal/ min (GPM).

After you figure out how much horsepower your going to make use the formula to determine what pump to use. My self personally I use Magnaflow fuel pumps. For my nitrous system that is seperate from the FI I run the Quick Star 300 and this pump is mounted some what below the fuel cell that is a 1 gall Jazz mounted in the location where the battery used to be and below that you will be able to mount the pump. You will understand once you see. IMO I wouldn't use the Holley blue pump for one its probably one of the oldest out dated pumps still on the market and has a tendancy to wear the rotor fines out and cause psi to drop! One thing I would recommend is to never scrimp when it comes to the fuel system for the nitrous, this is what makes the power and without it well, you will find out fast!

There are cheaper pumps out than the Magnaflow that will do the job, just make sure to do your homeworker and know what requirements your engine will need. And for regulator to use: Holley Blue regulator the $20.00-$25.00 dollar version. Believe it or not this is the regulator of choice for nitrous and will work great.

Good Luck!

Jim
Old 07-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Anyone else?
Old 07-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the MagnaFlow Star 300 pump. It is running at 26 psi and the regulator( MagnaFlow also ) is at 19 psi. I ended up tapping into the main left fuel tank for the fuel supply and fuel return rather than going with a seperate fuel cell. This is because there is no good place to mount one in a C5. I used -8an SS braided line from the fuel tank to the pump and to the regulator. From the regulator to the solenoids I used -6an SS braided line.