Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manley nextek dual users inside...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manley nextek dual users inside...

I got some new manley nextek dual drop in springs. There is a warning on the box that says "we highly reccomend to chamfer the i.d. of each valve spring. This will provide the necassary clearance to eliminate any contact between the inner corner radius of the retainer and the inner corner of the spring. Failure may result in undesirable stress concentrations and may lead to retainer failure." they go on and say how they want me to buy this manley tool to do the job. Any one run into this and what did you do?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

anybody?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you contacted Manley on this?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the manleys a long time ago, never chamfered anything because the retainers sat flat on the springs, didnt look like anything was interfering. I had the Ti retainers with them. No issues for me, but I'd recommend you check them well before you install them.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

You're supposed to chamfer the I.D. of the springs so that the retainers sit flat on the top of the spring. If the I.D has a sharp corner, it could dig into the radius on the underside of the retainers, and wear pretty quickly.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

i called futral today and asked them. they said for my application it was not necessary. The retainer will fit either side of the spring. I know this is a stupid question....but is there actually a top or a bottom side of the springs? I didnt think there was, each side looks exactly the same. This is my first cam swap and i am nervous and dont want to mess my car up.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taws6m6
i called futral today and asked them. they said for my application it was not necessary. The retainer will fit either side of the spring. I know this is a stupid question....but is there actually a top or a bottom side of the springs? I didnt think there was, each side looks exactly the same. This is my first cam swap and i am nervous and dont want to mess my car up.
Most consider the top where the cut off point is to the outside.

Depending on the coiler, the cut off could be straight or they might be tip conditioned. Then it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Manley nextek dual users inside...