Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to adjust Koni Fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust Koni Fronts?

So I bought the koni package from sam strano, and now my front end is bouncing up and down everytime I hit a bump, I believe when they installed my shocks and springs they set all of them to full soft, so I need to know how to adjust my fronts to firm them up. Anybody have any links or pics themselves to show me? Do I need any special tools?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also do the shocks have to be off the car to adjust them?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

koni yellows should be externally on car adjustable
Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are yellow, but how do I adjust them ? I have the 4th gen in the rears for the **** adjust behind the seat, but how do I go about adjusting the yellow konis?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.greenfries.info/Koni_shocks.htm

Look at the 2nd to last picture, it shows an adjustment window. You use an allen wrench to turn the slot forward and backward. If you bought the package from Sam, 2 things. It came with the instructions on how to adjust (mine did in the official Koni box) and you can call Sam for help.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.5 mm allen wrench is the correct size IIRC. I have mine in the glove box.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah, but when you try to adjust them on the car, the coils are in the way. I adjusted mine where I thought I wanted them, but then wanted to soften them. I could move the adjuster about half a sweep and then the coil was in the way. Is there a trick to this?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes. Use a jack to raise/lower the control arm, thereby compressing/decompressing the spring. This will help you get the coils out of the way.

-Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I tried that but compressing the spring only pushed the coils closer together, making it more difficult. I had the best access with it fully decompressed, but it was minimal as described above.

I was wondering if there was some kind of tool that you could snake in there.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried using the short end of the allen wrech?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jack the car up like you would if you were going to pull the wheel off. then put a jack stand under it(car), then you can adjust your shock. It should be fairly easy now to adjust your koni.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Hopefully you installed the koni so that the adjustment window is facing you. When mine were first installed, they were facing the opposite direction
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
So I bought the koni package from sam strano, and now my front end is bouncing up and down everytime I hit a bump, I believe when they installed my shocks and springs they set all of them to full soft, so I need to know how to adjust my fronts to firm them up. Anybody have any links or pics themselves to show me? Do I need any special tools?
This is why I want to speak to everyone, in person, with the shocks in hand before the install. No matter who is putting them on, the owner needs to know details about adjusting and installing them both.

Never, trust a shop to do exactly what you want, and NEVER assume they "adjusted" the damper correctly. I don't talk to the shops, I talk to the car owners about adjustment and install and they can disperse that information on down to the installer as needed.

First, the adjustment slot needs to be facing directly outwards. Very often (most times) when this is not made VERY clear the slot ends up any random place and can't be reached when the shock is on the car. If the slot is not visible, the shock will have to come off to be adjusted because it was installed incorrectly (and the install should be corrected at that time).

Also, don't assume they are set anywhere. When you gain access to the adjuster you need to run to the end of the range and back to confirm or see the initial setting. Full soft with my springs (based off of the term "package" you used), would be too soft in front.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: How to adjust Koni Fronts?