Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled intake, intake port dirty on one side

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled intake, intake port dirty on one side

This car had the Heads/cam done at 85k miles. It currently has 97k on it. The previous owner swapped the LS6 intake for an LS1 before he sold it. We put an LS6 back on it last night. I ran it at the drag strip last week and after it idled for about 10 minutes in the staging lane it smoked pretty heavily during my burnout/staging. It cleared up fine as soon as I hit the gas though. Judging by how it is driving I know it is running at least a little on the low end/idle.

When we pulled the intake off the heads on the left bank were pretty clean. The intake ports ranged from a slight yellow coloration down to a deep brown. You could still see the reflectiveness in the metal through it.

The right bank was a completely different story. The #2 cylinder's intake port actually had enough grease (oil/fuel mixture) caked on it to the point that airflow might be restricted a little. It took a paper towel to get most of it off. The 4, 6, and 8 cylinders looked better but they were still black in comparison the the left bank. The car has the stock PCV system in it still.

I was thinking that the PCV was dumping oil into the intake in a way that it only flowed towards the right bank. The combination of that and the rich idle make it smoke pretty heavy when applying throttle after a long idle.

Am I missing anything here? Could the PCV be dumping that much oil in?

Hopefully I'm going to get it tuned in the next month or two. It runs like a scalded dog, especially since the intake swap. This situation just worries me. When I pulled up to the line at the track I thought some piston rings decided to take a walk on me. I absolutely hate driving a car that is using/throwing/leaking/burning oil. It managed to go through a quart in about 2 tanks of gas (HARD driving, hence the possible pcv issue). I have only put about 600 miles on it since I bought it.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you rering it? Just wondering since you thought you dropped some rings? Try to a comp test of leakdown test.

First thing I was thinking was PVC also.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

No I didn't. The smoke made me think that something went wrong for a second.

Quick Reply: Pulled intake, intake port dirty on one side