LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam and Port Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam and Port Job

I recently had Comp Cams 07-503 B installed along with a port job on the heads. I'm told the heads are now identical to LT4 heads. Along with everything else I have a K&N FIPK, 52mm TB and an SLP LM2 exhaust. I havent got the car back yet but does 400rwhp sound even remotely close at this point? Also what would be the bennefit of having a PCMforless tune? Would my car run crappy with the PCM programmed for the original stock setup?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK if you were told "identical to LT4" and a tune has not been discussed these are two gigantic red flags that would cause a knowledgable person a lot of worry. Not going to come close to 400rwhp. Guys talk like it is the norm, but it takes above average work to hit it and better yet to hit it with good drivability and lowend torque.

That cam is OK nothing more and not a 400rwhp in a 350 cam.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT1forever
I recently had Comp Cams 07-503 B installed along with a port job on the heads. I'm told the heads are now identical to LT4 heads. Along with everything else I have a K&N FIPK, 52mm TB and an SLP LM2 exhaust. I havent got the car back yet but does 400rwhp sound even remotely close at this point? Also what would be the bennefit of having a PCMforless tune? Would my car run crappy with the PCM programmed for the original stock setup?
lol

We've lost another one to "lt4" heads.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

The mechanic has been working at a well known local speedshop for quite a while now. He specializes in porting and gets quite a bit of work. Not to mention he has a very good reputation. I may be a newb but I doubt I'm getting screwed over in any way.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know your numbers if you get her dynoed
Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Will do, I've been chomping at the bit for the past month waiting to get her back. Figured I'd better get a little more beef to shock the LSXs around my home town. What would be a more legit estimate for my setup?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The mechanic has been working at a well known local speedshop for quite a while now. He specializes in porting and gets quite a bit of work. Not to mention he has a very good reputation. I may be a newb but I doubt I'm getting screwed over in any way.
Well if they were "ported" and are now identical to LT4s then they weren't ported much at all because the LT4s barely flowed more than LT1s stock.

Nothing wrong with LT4 heads but any set of LT1 heads ported correctly will be way better than stock LT4s.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do, I've been chomping at the bit for the past month waiting to get her back. Figured I'd better get a little more beef to shock the LSXs around my home town. What would be a more legit estimate for my setup?
No way to tell since ported heads aren't created equal...
Old 03-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Launching!

I don't think I saw Long Tube headers mentioned, but I would make sure to run them as well if you can. With the headers, even OK heads, and the 503 cam on an M6 tuned you should see 350 to 370 RWHP. Not the 400HP you are looking for but not a huge distance away either. Plenty more than enough ammo to take down most LSx cars in your area.
Bryan
Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PCMFORLESS
I don't think I saw Long Tube headers mentioned, but I would make sure to run them as well if you can. With the headers, even OK heads, and the 503 cam on an M6 tuned you should see 350 to 370 RWHP. Not the 400HP you are looking for but not a huge distance away either. Plenty more than enough ammo to take down most LSx cars in your area.
Bryan
Thats what I like to Hear! Yeah headers are on the to do list. Not sure what brand to go with. I'm sure theres probably a thread or 2 with some good info.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Thats what I like to Hear! Yeah headers are on the to do list. Not sure what brand to go with. I'm sure theres probably a thread or 2 with some good info.
Really can't beat the Pacesetters or Hooker headers for pricing and they perform pretty well. Kooks and others make really nice quality headers as well. On the Pacesetters and others with coating I have had the coatings ruin O2 sensors shortly after install, that is just something to be wary of.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PCMFORLESS
Really can't beat the Pacesetters or Hooker headers for pricing and they perform pretty well. Kooks and others make really nice quality headers as well. On the Pacesetters and others with coating I have had the coatings ruin O2 sensors shortly after install, that is just something to be wary of.
I went with the LT Non Coated Pacesetters, thanks for the advice. All that needs done now is a good old PCM tune.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

uncoated mild steel melts lots of stuff around them and are prone to severe rust damage when driven regularly in anything but sunny weather.

Put them on the car like that and you will be buying plug wires and god knows what else in short order.

You need to decide whether you came here for help or an ego stroking.

You should have taken the comment about header coating killing O2s as a warning to put the old O2s in the new headers and replace them a few weeks or month later not as a warning against coating.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You should have taken the comment about header coating killing O2s as a warning to put the old O2s in the new headers and replace them a few weeks or month later not as a warning against coating.
Agreed, I guess I should have been clearer on that, I was mainly warning just to leave the old O2's in for a little while to whatever it is on the coating has to burn off does so. I too recommend having the coating done. It has a lot of benefits for it's price.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
uncoated mild steel melts lots of stuff around them and are prone to severe rust damage when driven regularly in anything but sunny weather.

Put them on the car like that and you will be buying plug wires and god knows what else in short order.

You need to decide whether you came here for help or an ego stroking.

Your right, I totally misunderstood. My knowledge about headers is obviously not very good. My order has since been cancelled. I'm not trying to stroke an ego by any means. I'm just wanting a little more power.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
No way to tell since ported heads aren't created equal...
I like that avatar. Looks like LE3s.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

That avatar is trash and childish....but lets not get this started again.....

Quick Reply: Cam and Port Job