Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating a little bit, what can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default overheating a little bit, what can i do?

soo if i sit at idle for about 30 minutes the temp. will start climbing over 210 degrees. this is annoying because i always have to make sure it doesnt go over 210(i usually have to hold a 2k rev for a minute to bring it down). i tried "STOPS OVERHEATING" by PRO-BLEND and now it just starts overheating INSTANTLY! right when i start the jeep, the temp. just climbs at a pretty fast rate going past 210- also i just drove it (its about 50degrees outside) and it went down to about 208degrees- without this product it would stay in the 190's easily in this weather

soo obviously coolant additives are just snake oil, what else can i do? my trans. cooler is infront of everything (trans cooler then condenser then radiator) everything is closely together. should i put about a 3inch space between the trans. cooler and the condenser/radiator?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bleed the system. There could be air in there. Also how did you fill the coolant?How I did it was fill the engine from the top radiator hose, replaced it then filled the radiator.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schitzo
bleed the system. There could be air in there. Also how did you fill the coolant?How I did it was fill the engine from the top radiator hose, replaced it then filled the radiator.
how do you bleed the system(this is an ls1 btw). i just added to the radiator cap til it was full, then ran it till the thermostat opened and topped it off
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was referring to the LS1. Definetly sounds like an air in the system issue. Here are a few threads that can help

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=bleed+cooling

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Just a thought, but what temp thermostat are you using? PCM controlled electric fans? Stock LS1 fans don't even come on until something like 225 degrees.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Just a thought, but what temp thermostat are you using? PCM controlled electric fans? Stock LS1 fans don't even come on until something like 225 degrees.
i was using the pcm to control my fan(i only have one) but something went wrong with it so now i just run the fan all the time. im using the stock 190 thermostat

also, what are the "head vents" and the "vents" they are using in the directions to bleed the system?

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 03-13-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

210 is not overheating for the LS engines. They can run around 220 to 230 plus all day long and not hurt them. It does kill power but is not technically overheating. In comparison to the old SBC's and BBC's it is hot. However unless it's boiling the water it's not hot. But idling for 20 to 30 minutes and having the temperature get up to 210 sounds like the cooling system and fans are performing quite well.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had pcm tuned at wait4me. I have been idling the car for 30 minutes or so and and my temp stays around 190 or 195. The pcm is turning on the first fan at 190 deg. Is this normal? My second fan has not even been turning on. What temp will the pcm kick on the second fan? It has been about 55 to 60 deg ambient during these idle runs. I know the second fan kicks on via the pcm because it did the first couple of times I started the engine and did have low coolant level in the system. Sense I have installed a gauge and completely filled the sytem the second fan has yet to kick in.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

My car does the same thing. i never saw the temp go pasted 210 Until i change the coolant and now i have air in there and it goes past 210 ALL the time and i dont like that.
I going to try to drain it and fill it though the hose.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Launching!

As long as the filler neck on the radiator is higher than the rest of the motor you should be able to get any air out of the system. If its not, then you will never get all of the air out if you fill it on level ground. You could try jacking the front end up and then filling with coolant and see if that works. Use about a 50/50 water to coolant mix. 210 is not hot, and if its not boiling over then you should be fine. Mine will only reach 210 while idling, which is where the fan turns on at, and it will cool the motor pretty quick back down to 190 where it is programed to turn off.

Is yours staying at 210 with the fan on?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link that Schitzo posted above will prolly solve your overheating problems. It talks about how to get the air out of the system and the steam vent.

Also TXjeepTJ, the pcm controlled fan output is a ground. So if you wired your relay backwards like I did at first, the fan won't come on. You need battery voltage on the relay winding and when the ground from the pcm is applied, the relay will operate.

My first fan kicks on at about 210 and cools the engine down to 190 quickly when idleing. I still have not installed the steam vent but will before hot weather gets here.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 55chevy
This link that Schitzo posted above will prolly solve your overheating problems. It talks about how to get the air out of the system and the steam vent.

Also TXjeepTJ, the pcm controlled fan output is a ground. So if you wired your relay backwards like I did at first, the fan won't come on. You need battery voltage on the relay winding and when the ground from the pcm is applied, the relay will operate.

My first fan kicks on at about 210 and cools the engine down to 190 quickly when idleing. I still have not installed the steam vent but will before hot weather gets here.

yea the pcm stopped sending a ground to the relay, so i just have it on all the time
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StngKlr
As long as the filler neck on the radiator is higher than the rest of the motor you should be able to get any air out of the system. If its not, then you will never get all of the air out if you fill it on level ground. You could try jacking the front end up and then filling with coolant and see if that works. Use about a 50/50 water to coolant mix. 210 is not hot, and if its not boiling over then you should be fine. Mine will only reach 210 while idling, which is where the fan turns on at, and it will cool the motor pretty quick back down to 190 where it is programed to turn off.

Is yours staying at 210 with the fan on?
Yes the fans stays on . With the fans on ,it doesn't go above 210 BUT it doesn't drop to 190. I have even changed the fan settings to come on sooner.

Quick Reply: overheating a little bit, what can i do?