User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Whats required to become a moderator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats required to become a moderator?

Just curious.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good resume
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Speed Density
A good resume
In what? Forum moderation?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by meandmyls1
In what? Forum moderation?
lol, nice
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

I thought the requirements were a keyboard, monitor and a string of drool out of the side of the mouth. Can someone prove me wrong? I'm just wondering.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

A certain level of maturity is the first thing. A good ability to convey your thoughts in written form in a constructive manner, a willingness to help others with little to no tangible benefit, a level head, a specialty or area of expertise currently needed on the staff, experience to share, the ability to rise above petty differences and not take things personally. Free time to devote to moderating your section/s.

Finally, not asking a question about becoming a moderator
Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not asking about it is the first step. Administrators typically look for long time outstanding members who frequently visit the board. A person that helps others out to the best of their knowledge, and aren't afraid to ask for help when needed. Persons who get along well with others, and are quick to help settle an argument or prevent one if possible. Just your all around good samaritan. On another forum I'm on, the mods played an April fools prank on us. Some of them banned themselves and created a controversy about why they were banned. The other mods then posted up a Moderator Application thread to try to find some replacements for the ones who were banned. I fell for the joke, and submitted my application, which was more so of a series of questions that were asked that I answered. Next thing I know, I'm asked by the admin if I would still be interested in becoming a mod. I said yes I am, and he made it so.

Point is, you pretty much have to have luck on your side. Becoming a mod is no easy task, unless the current staff already happens to know you personally.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

How often do you need to be in front of the computer?
I've found myself a few times actually falling asleep on here at 3 am searching for who knows what. (thats what I meant by drool out of the mouth, as in falling asleep, someone informed me that might come off as sounding rude the way I worded that).
I'm just wondering how involved it is, what Cyphur said seems to sum it up pretty good.
Also wondering because some moderators seem in a bad mood. Is there a time limit you have to put in per day?

I think if there were a better understanding between users and moderators things MIGHT go smoother, maybe not.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How often do you need to be in front of the computer?
I've found myself a few times actually falling asleep on here at 3 am searching for who knows what. (thats what I meant by drool out of the mouth, as in falling asleep, someone informed me that might come off as sounding rude the way I worded that).
I'm just wondering how involved it is, what Cyphur said seems to sum it up pretty good.
Also wondering because some moderators seem in a bad mood. Is there a time limit you have to put in per day?

I think if there were a better understanding between users and moderators things MIGHT go smoother, maybe not.
There are no time constraints about how much you need to mod or how many hours a day you need to put in. No one gets paid for their efforts by doing so. But if you're going to be gone for a while, it's always customary to let the other mods that you will be taking a leave of absence briefly. When a mod sounds like he's in a bad mood, it's probably because he/she is having to see another thread asking about something that has been discussed the upteenth million time. Most new members don't understand that the search function can lead to a vast amount of information... But instead they just create a new thread about it. It gets old quick. That and having to deal with childish behavior day in and day out doesn't help much either.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many orifaces are you willing to offer?

I heard there was a goat involved in the process.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the requirements were a keyboard, monitor and a string of drool out of the side of the mouth. Can someone prove me wrong? I'm just wondering.
not comments like this...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by staringback05
not comments like this...
I already said that was me at night reading hours of posts using the search feature, I think I fell asleep on the keyboard at 3am. I said it may not have been worded right but hopefully people see the point, and that is staying on the computer too long.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cyphur
A certain level of maturity is the first thing. A good ability to convey your thoughts in written form in a constructive manner, a level head, the ability to rise above petty differences and not take things personally.
Well I guess a director doesn't need to conform to these requirements?

Originally Posted by CRAGER
A "cheque?" We call them check's here ....dictionary.com, and $2,000 to install or $4,500 for one to be installed is retarted, and I believe a village is looking for you guys.
INSTALLED????..how about DO IT YOURSELF! But again, it does not cost 2k to install one.

What "carrier" this guy has? Its a 3-series carrier, thats what all stock ones are. It was ALL already cover before the wonder twins came in here with their A4 bable.

Peace,
Craig.
Insulting a Canadian member.

How is the info wrong newb? Wrong like you were saying he could go through the traps in third when he clearly stated he had an M6 newb? And you don't have a damn clue about financial advice when you have an A4 with preload and doesn't snap ring gears. But you want him to **** away money in a 10-bolt that will break ANYWAY. Damn newbs.

Do YOU have an M6, have you even broken a rear? If not then STFU newb.

Thanks,
Craig.
Well this meets none of the above in my opinion.

But he's probably a buddy of someone and we can just sweep this under the carpet right?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Can't wait to see the backlash from this.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

And posts from you in that thread:

I have a six speed you dipshit...
I've broken real rears like Dana 60's with M4's and big blocks. You know real race cars, not weekend warrior street cars like you apparently drive.
newb, what a dick, 40 something posts and that's how you judge a persons automotive experience.
This is just an attempt to drum up meandmyls1 supporters. Whatever works for you. I offered advice for OP not to waste money in a 10-bolt, you wanto to scream bloody murder and throw names around. And yes you're a newb, deal with it.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Second Club

Fkin right craig. btw happy post 7300
Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Banned

And posts from you in that thread:
This is just an attempt to drum up meandmyls1 supporters. Whatever works for you. I offered advice for OP not to waste money in a 10-bolt, you wanto to scream bloody murder and throw names around. And yes you're a newb, deal with it.

Peace,
Craig.
Am I a newb, or is this my fifth account? hmmm What do you know about me other than the fact I have 50 or something posts, nothing.
Director, is that wanna be moderator?
Thanks for the two points, like I give a **** really.
I'll go to every wifi coffee shop it takes to keep creating new email addresses and new accounts, how will you ban that?
Thats pretty cleaver the way you bring an arguement about one god damned word in one post and make me look out to be in the wrong.
You're a dick period. And may all the moderators band together to keep you in the right. Dick.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Ohhh. Poo. CRAGER's no fun.

I'm going to join meandmyls1 *** club! We're going to have T-shirts that say "CRAGER: Racists against Canadians!"
Old 03-14-2008, 02:18 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Exclamation

Am I a newb, or is this my fifth account? hmmm What do you know about me other than the fact I have 50 or something posts, nothing.
Director, is that wanna be moderator?
Thanks for the two points, like I give a **** really.
I'll go to every wifi coffee shop it takes to keep creating new email addresses and new accounts, how will you ban that?
Thats pretty cleaver the way you bring an arguement about one god damned word in one post and make me look out to be in the wrong.
You're a dick period. And may all the moderators band together to keep you in the right. Dick.
Goodbye Mr.5 accounts, I can see why the others were banned. lol
Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Goodbye Mr.5 accounts, I can see why the others were banned. lol
****** A right.

I should jot that IP address down, just to check against all your other haters.

FWIW, he's showing up as using an ISP in Tyler, Tx.