LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Aftermarket heats

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket heats

With the AFRs on the LS1s, there are people who have recorded better fuel economy. Is this the same with the LTX style engines? If so, which companies are you guys using to get your best efficency?

Chris
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

honda is great one
Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Heads arent something you buy to get better gas mileage
Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most of the tested AFR stuff for the LT1 is DECADES old gen 1 heads with converted cooling, not a performance inprovement much less an efficiency one. The eliminator stuff is untested. Spending thousands to gain a miniscule amount of fuel economy is NOT saving a dime.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Launching!

Well...thanks for the positive post. I guess making the car more efficient does not matter to most even though that is what makes a better driver all around and seldom kills performance. I guess I will go elsewhere to try to find what I am looking for.

Chris
Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by seawalkersee
Well...thanks for the positive post. I guess making the car more efficient does not matter to most even though that is what makes a better driver all around and seldom kills performance. I guess I will go elsewhere to try to find what I am looking for.

Chris
You got this backwards dude.....
performance generally=less mileage
Cars run on gas and air
the more air you stuff into an engine the more gas it takes to combust

go ahead and buy AFRs....some of the most expensive heads on the market in order to MAYBE save yourself a few pennies at the pump. way to use your brain

and id like to hear the phone call when you call afr and tell them your looking for some heads to get good gas mileage
Old 03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Launching!

I bet you are the kind of guy who will tell someone they need to do a search and then post a "holy post revival" when there is a question on a two year old post. Why dont YOU do a search and see what I am talking about. I am not suggesting that you just bolt on a set of heads TO get better fuel milage, I am simply asking who has aftermarket heads and has made an improvement. If you want, I will copy and paste from the threads I have seen it on for the LS1's. That way it takes the trouble out of your day and you can save it for the insults towards me....

Chris

Last edited by seawalkersee; 03-14-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Had to delete some stuff that may look bad...
Old 03-15-2008, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Default well cummon!

Well Man,
I don't think any one is trying to be offensive towards you here, but I mean cummon. This is a v8 performance sight dealing in power oriented discussions that rarely if even ever have nothing to do with economy. I know what everyone is trying to say to you, it's just some cracks don't take it to heart.
Having said that I don't understand why your going the route you are with the v8 power. Maybe a import with forced induction or motorcycle is an idea you may consider. The smaller displacements will certainly burn less fuel.
I'm sure you can do it if you realy want and don't let any one discurage you, but I don't know who would have that kind of info on what your going to do and how much do you want to spend?
Old 03-15-2008, 04:55 AM
TECH Regular

I bet you are the kind of guy who will tell someone they need to do a search and then post a "holy post revival" when there is a question on a two year old post. Why dont YOU do a search and see what I am talking about.
When did i tell you to search?

I am not suggesting that you just bolt on a set of heads TO get better fuel milage, I am simply asking who has aftermarket heads and has made an improvement.
Chris
Well...thanks for the positive post. I guess making the car more efficient does not matter to most even though that is what makes a better driver all around and seldom kills performance.
you state "Making the car more effecient makes a better driver all around and seldom kills performance"

If effeciency=gas mileage like you are implying then it sounds to me like your are suggesting to bolt on heads to get better fuel mileage and you didnt like the answer of people who tried to tell you that there would be little to no fuel mileage gains because that is not the point of an aftermarket head. You then decide to whine about searching for some reason.....

I guess I will go elsewhere to try to find what I am looking for.

Chris
PLEASE DO....
Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Nope...I am not even saying that I am trying to get 40mpg or anything like that. I am simply trying to see if anyone gained any MPG by going to an aftermarket head when they were using it as a driver and not a race car. I mean, if you could get an aftermarket head that would out perform the LE2 style port and get you better milage, would you not go for it? Just asking, then the other people started to post.

Chris
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Chris
There are things we do in the name of efficiency with an eye towards power. Heads is NOT one of them and you are making an incorrect assumption about the quality of AFR heads. They have a great treputation because when they came out DECADES ago the OEM heads were garbage that was easily improved on. m The LT1 heads are a huge step up from that old OEM stuff though and until the Eliminator lineup AFR did almost no updateing to their designs, grossly outdated and propped up on a reputation that long ago should have expired. Yes there are guys going fast with them on LT1s but they are the minority and they have extra money in porting them and usually GOBS of money in the engine and car and you still see other guys with ported stock going faster with "less".

If you want to sucessfully mod your car you will need to learn that reputations are maybe MORE often bought than earned.

If you want to buy used AFRs a friend is going to be selling a TPIS ported set, so he can put Advanced Induction ported stock castings on the car, because the Advanced Induction ported stock heads are a BETTER head based on results not magazine articles, not outdated info from someone racing 20 years ago, not inexperianced kids on the internet.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The things that INCREASE fuel mileage are:

Off road pipe

Catback

Underdrive pullies

CAI

MSD or similar ignition box

Possibly a tune.

All of my cars in the past got BETTER mileage with JUST those mods.

You go PAST those mods above and it goes down...and we all know why.

I had two 5.0 Mustangs, even with the mods above AND a 3.73 gear they came close to 30 mpg on the HWY....AND ran in the 13's. But that was back when the speed limit was 55, 70 was hauling ***...alot different now.

David
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 AM
11 Second Club

Ignition baxes are unlikely to help on cars this new, with the 100K mile target tuneup interval they did a good job on the spark.

Gears often help milage as stock setup are often on the verge of lugging the motor. 1500rpms on the highway is NOT a good thing.