Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

17 year old turbo pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 year old turbo pics

ok well you have all been wanting pics my turbo set up well here they are ...i did all the work my self so bare ith me lol on some of the turbo pics there is tape but just for test trials so dont mind that...

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

tubing looks small, what diameter?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Looks better than what I could come up with. You probably have some power trapped in your small DP is it 2 and 1/2? Also, the intake also looks really restrictive.
Looks good and when is it getting tune/running right?
Jerrad
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Just curious but wouldn't the MAF reading be inaccurate being before the turbo and not in the actual charge piping before the TB?

Wouldn't the charge piping move with the suspension if it is suspended from the rear axle on the pass. side rear?

Also what is the device that acts as your 90deg. into the intake? Not sure of the design internally but wouldn't it slow down/decrease efficiency if it is not a smmoth curve into the intake?

Once again not critcism just honest ?'s and possible pointers!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The maf should be up front, the bov is to atmosphere in which should recirculate in this case. Exhaust is to small IMO at a minimum and so is the cold side but could probably suffice if needed. I really don't like the intake charge 'thingy' going into the T/B either but would probably work. Once running right, you absolutely need a fuel upgrade so you might as well do it now. A racetronix kit and 42# at the bare minimum. FI is not cheap and can't skimp out on, which could cost you a nice low milleage motor. All in all, great job taking on this project at 17. Hang in there you will get it, just don't let the motor see any boost without a tune.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

im not trying to knock you but you could have definitely done a better job building a front mount kit then this rear mount stuff. to each his own.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some concerns on ground clearance among other things. That maf should be in the intake pipe near the intake in normal location. I am not sure those rubber rad hoses will hold boost. I hate to say this but think I would take it off,sell what I could and then buy a used sts or save up for an actual sts kit or buy a used front mount possibly.

Without having access to mandrel bending machine and some people with serious fabrication skills its going to be hard to make a system that works well and doesn't drag on the ground and rip off the first speed bump or train track you go over.
If the used sts or used frontmount kit is still too much I would go for heads,cam ,headers or possibly nitrous route. With carefuly shopping they could be done for 1000 to 2000 especially if you shop used on the boards.And you can do heads,cam and heads as budget permits or nitrous on a stock engine with a few safeguards and upgrades..fuel pump,window switch to name two.

I think you have bit off a bit too much here. We would like you to succeed,its great to try out stuff but this is starting to remind me of some honda setups I have seen in the past.

Again please don't take this the wrong way but its hard to do a good turbo system without spending some good amounts of money.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

It think you need to tuck it up closer to the body, and might just be the pics but the charge pipes do look small. You can get mandel bends from summit, jegs, ect. just really plan out what you are going to need. Silicone couplers are fairly cheap on ebay just make sure they are at least 4 ply. Def get a silicone 90 to go into the intake that design is going to kill your airflow. Keep at it.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

do you have a scavenge pump? I dont see one in the pics and you need one to pump the oil back to the front.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also do you have any pics of where the exhaust pipe attaches to the tubo? Also the flange where the turbo attached to the exhaust looks like its a different size.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

That turbo/piping/etc. looks like it is going to choke the motor and not help it.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, but as a few people have state...things need to be changed.

Remember a set of truck manifolds, box of 2.5in bends and some flanges are all inexpensive to purchase. It really isn't that hard to do a FM with a set of truck manifolds at all.
J
Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I give you props for doing this at 17. I wouldn't ever have dreamed of it, and honestly didn't even know how a turbo system worked until I was about 22.
I hope you get it lined out, but more often than not a home grown turbo kit (especially rear mounts) have alot of trouble making the power they're capable of due to insufficient piping and lack of a good cool intake charge. But hey, if I doesn't work out it's a good experience and you can always sell that turbo for a good set of ported heads and a cam that will require much less time/effort to make similar power.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i bet you half the people in this thread cannot even weld, let alone have the ***** to take something like this on when they were 17 years old.

I commend you on the effort, hopefully you could get some of these issues taken care of.

What i see:

Maf placement
piping size
clamp type/ connector type (may want to try bead rolling if you can)
Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ping King
i bet you half the people in this thread cannot even weld, let alone have the ***** to take something like this on when they were 17 years old.

I commend you on the effort, hopefully you could get some of these issues taken care of.

What i see:

Maf placement
piping size
clamp type/ connector type (may want to try bead rolling if you can)
youre right i wouldnt attempt something like this. it would have been better thought out and not tried to be thrown together because of money constraints. if you dont have the money to do it right i dont think you should do it in the first place but thats just me. i commend the kid for trying this but i also think some mistakes were made in planning.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Ok what it looks like to me in the pic's is you don't have the hot side(exhaust from the engine) even hooked up to the turbo? Hook that up and you should be good to go.

You need to move the mass air upfront closer to the throttle body. The mass air I don't think would even read correctly with that long of a wire extension(from what I hear)

Also you need to just buy a 90* coupler to put on the throttle body and do away with what you got that will probably kill your hp and boost.

So far it looks like your headed in the right direction just needs to make some changes. Also PLEASE get that thing tuned before you make ANY boost or you'll probably be looking for a new block. Atleast a base tune!!!! You also need to change injectors out and the fuel pump. On my car I have already ran out pump at only 5 p.s.i. with a 255lph walboro. So you really need one of those.

It looks like in that last pic you have the exhaust side of the turbo mounted to the panhard bar. I might be wrong on that but that is what it looks like to me.

http://www.ststurbo.com/ls1_installation_pics This is what you want it to look like!
Old 03-14-2008, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Interesting, but as a few people have state...things need to be changed.

Remember a set of truck manifolds, box of 2.5in bends and some flanges are all inexpensive to purchase. It really isn't that hard to do a FM with a set of truck manifolds at all.
J
Hes right, look for a FULL write up with lots of pics soon

Sean
Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done kid. Sure, there could be some refinement, but damn, you did it which is more that most kids your age can say.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the others... at least its a real turbo and not some electric blower fan in the intake. do some more research and you'll get it.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason you're getting all this constructive criticism is because we've all learned from our (many) mistakes and don't want to see you fall into some obvious holes.

My hat's off to you for even trying a project like this - don't give up, you just need to chip away at each problem as it comes. That's what pioneers do...

Jim

Quick Reply: 17 year old turbo pics