Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spec Clutch Question

How many people having problems with the spec? is it because they us the stock flywheel instead of using a billet or alum flywheel?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:05 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Spec clutch are you talking about? I have a stage 5 in my car now and a new stage 5 with aluminum Spec flywheel new in the box.

What kind of problems are you asking about?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hear that the spec 3 is a hit and miss thing on if you get a good one or bad one
Old 03-15-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spec clutches seem to be hit or miss in general, but what are you talking about "stock flywheel"? Spec only sells a billet steel and an aluminum flywheel. My stage 3 lasted 8,000 miles, my brother's lasted 10,000.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Default smoked stage 3 spec,3k miles!

[IMG][/IMG]thank you for posting this thread cause this is reason i am on this site right now! i have/had a spec stage 3 ,with aluminum flywheel ,not that the flywheel should have anything to do with it. any way i did a engine swap fully forged bottom, heads and cam,brand new engine, so i obviously put a clutch in , drove the car about 3k miles ,break in , took it to the track once ,3 passes on m/t streets , the clutch is smoked , i was thinking it must of been something i did on the install ? ive been racking my brain , plus it was over a year ago, but now after reading numberous threads about this clutch , i am sure it wasnt the install , my question is what clutch do you guys recomend? i cant go through this again ,so spec is out, my car right now is putting down 425 @ wheels, i plan on bolting on approx 25 more hp , and spraying ,and i dont feel the zo6/ls7 clutch will hold, and im not spending 2 g's on a twin disc! your feedback is appreciated. anyone using the ram?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

I hear textralia has a very good product, dont have any personal expierince with them but they come highly recomended. Heres the link, see what you think... haha that rymes

http://www.textralia.com.au/

supposed to hold 750hp, should have you covered...
Old 03-15-2008, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Listen to my story (I'VE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS).
I just spent $900 on a new spec 3+ clutch and steel flywheel + $350 for the install. The fist time i started the car with the new clutch and flywheel, all we could hear was grinding.The flywheel wasn't centering up to the starter, and the starter drive was ruined. So I bought another flywheel from centerforce (alum) and a new starter that cost me $930 including install, picked the car up friday. When I first get in the car everthing is ok (kinda jumpy) when I drive down the road a little ways, when the car warms up it make noise. Everytime I engauge the clutch (push the clutch to the floor) i hear a chattering, and It's louder than it should be. When I let the clutch out it stops. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in, when the clutch is pushed in it makes the chattering sound. The noise gets louder when I'm driving and have to shift, but if i'm not shifting and I'm riding there's no noise. Whats going on?? Now The transmission shop has to pull my transmission for the third time. I Have to send the brand new flywheel back to spec, so I can get my money back, and a refund for the installation.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran a Spec 2 for about 45,000 miles and only replaced it because I was moving up to a 408 and needed a Stage 5, After I got it balanced initially it worked flawlessly. My Stage 5 is starting to slip now and the pedal is up high, so I guess it's about gone. I think only about 5,000 miles but this is a drag car with many 5K launches. Next time around Spec twindisc or Textrailia twin disc.