Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Question

I've got an 02 camaro with c6 wheels, 18's in the front and 19's in the back. My question is that when I make any kind of hard stop my ABS kicks in, is there any way to keep this from happening? It sucks. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your ABS is not calibrated for the variance in overall diameter differences (assuming there is as you've not indicated your tire sizes).

ABS can be quite difficult to work around when modifying your car. It can be good in some situations, for all intensive purposes for what most people use the F-body for...is quite the hindrance.

We have an ABS delete kit that would bring your braking back to normal...actually with our kit, you'll have the ability to fine tune your front/rear brake bias. It will also drop ~15lbs from the front of your car.

Kits are located at http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_ls1.html

I posted a link to what one of our kits look like in your car... https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/881911-abs-delete-people-come.html
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

my car stated doing this abs activation as well after putting m/t radials on the rear is this something that can be corrected with out deleting abs...its kinda scary trying to bring this beast to a hault when it thinks the wheels are sliding
Old 05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull fuse under the hood to disable the abs. your abs light will be on though.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by caliswangin916
pull fuse under the hood to disable the abs. your abs light will be on though.
That will deactivate ABS but you won't have any bias control regarding front/rear pressures.

When removing/disabling ABS, using an adjustable proportioning valve is the best way to take full advantage of your braking capabilities. This is why all of our kits include the adjustable proportioning valves.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

so there is no way to reprogram or alter the abs cause mine seem super sensitive to slight change because i have 275/45r17 front and rear but the rear mickeys are slightly taller
Old 05-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

With an actual Tech II, you might be able to adjust what is necessary...I've asked HPTuners on multiple occasions to include this in their tuning software, and they flat out refuse due to possible liability issues, and rightfully so. The ABS module itself is what is responsible for front/rear brake bias, so simply disconnecting it sends too much bias to the rear.

I said screw it and tossed the ABS altogether...it wasn't worth it for me on a car that doesn't get driven in inclement weather...ever.