General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

17/18 rims confuse speed sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17/18 rims confuse speed sensor?

i have the vette c5 17/18 wheels. it is how i bought the car.. the car also had the abs inop and brake light on in the dash. i was wondering if those lights would be on because of the different size wheels rolling at different speeds... 17's are 25" and 18's are 26".

any input on running different size wheels?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no issue.

that's not the cause of your problem. if the overall height of the rear wheel differs from that of stock, your speedo will be off, but it will not render the ABS inop.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheels can affect your speedometer, if your ABS light is on, the sensors are either dirty or bad, could also be the ABS unit as well. ABS light has nothing to do with wheel size, same as your e-brake light.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadGTho
no issue.

that's not the cause of your problem. if the overall height of the rear wheel differs from that of stock, your speedo will be off, but it will not render the ABS inop.
My car's abs inop light used to come on everytime I put the car on slicks. I do believe that different wheel sizes will cause the light.

My lgith would come on under hard braking with different size rear tires on
Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
My car's abs inop light used to come on everytime I put the car on slicks. I do believe that different wheel sizes will cause the light.

My lgith would come on under hard braking with different size rear tires on
beleive as you wish.

that has NOTHING to do with rim size. if the standover height of the slicks is different than stock by a bunch then that can have an effect.

if your sensors were in perfect shape, you would not be experiencing that issue.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Exclamation

beleive as you wish.

that has NOTHING to do with rim size. if the standover height of the slicks is different than stock by a bunch then that can have an effect.

if your sensors were in perfect shape, you would not be experiencing that issue.
...overall tire height is what triggers it.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

I meant a taller overall wheel, not just a larger rim. In my case it happened on the same size rims with a larger tire
Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
I meant a taller overall wheel, not just a larger rim. In my case it happened on the same size rims with a larger tire
Yes sir, that will do it.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by CRAGER
...overall tire height is what triggers it.

Peace,
Craig.
This was asked yesterday...I told them more than one sponsor said if difference in overall height is 1 inch or more...YES...It WILL TRIGGER ABS. PERIOD..... [One of the sponsors sells ABS DELETE KITS.]
Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The difference between front and rear overall size actually IS what causes the light in situations such as this. The abs system can not do its job when the front/rear are spinning different speeds, because it doesn't know if you lose traction or not since the wheels are not all spinning at the same rate. If you go up or down in size, either front or back without the other, it will trigger the light.

In the OPs situation the fronts are too short, therefore spinning faster than the rears (which are the correct overall diameter/circumference), so his ABS shuts off.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

that is what i was saying.. my tires up front are 25 inches tall. my back ones are 26 1/2 tall...
Old 03-14-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Second Club

if the overall height of the rear wheel differs from that of stock, your speedo will be off, but it will not render the ABS inop.
this is an incorrect statement, and it will

why did you think I was trying to say anything about rim size? I said "wheel"
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
The difference between front and rear overall size actually IS what causes the light in situations such as this. The abs system can not do its job when the front/rear are spinning different speeds, because it doesn't know if you lose traction or not since the wheels are not all spinning at the same rate. If you go up or down in size, either front or back without the other, it will trigger the light.

In the OPs situation the fronts are too short, therefore spinning faster than the rears (which are the correct overall diameter/circumference), so his ABS shuts off.
Hmmm, never heard of that, good to know.