Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Would a nice 1st Gen Camaro be fun to drive/own?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a nice 1st Gen Camaro be fun to drive/own?

I see these cars and they make me drool, however I am not going to lie when I say that my only experience in a 1968 Camaro wasn't much fun... it seemed to be all bark and NO bite. The car had a 383 in it, it looked cool... it was an automatic, sounded nice but had no power steering and drum brakes. The damn thing was an attention getter and a looker but it was just NO fun to drive...

I was thinking about finding myself something decent... that looked good even if it was not a numbers matching car, I wouldn't even care if it was an auto or manual... but something reasonably fast, that I could drive a lot and not just have it as a garage queen. These cars must be reliable, easy to work on or maintain isn't it just that the parts are hard to find or expensive?

This guy on Bimmerforums.com just got rid of this baby... I just don't want to spend $20,000 bucks and end up wishing I had something newer that I could tool on or if these cars are indeed satisfying. I know they LOOK good and carry a huge cool factor, but I am wondering if it's a dumb idea to have as my ONLY toy... or are these cars fun enough to have that I would forget about being the fastest or in the best handling/braking car?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

It all depends on how you want to treat it really... you can take it to car shows and keep it garaged rarely drive it or drive it a lot and have it look and feel good. they are a huge attention grabber. id say get one and take it and do some burn outs and donuts then get it the way you like it. get just a roller and put ya an ls1 in it
Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I've got to go with VooDoo if I was going to get a first or even second gen camaro or firebird I'd really want to put either an Lt1 or LS1 and sixspeed into it to make it a fun car to drive but still have tolerable MPG.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm it'll be fun to drive.. im driving a 70 camaro (2nd gen) with a 454 putting about 500 down, gas sucks, it does not stop as fast or handle as well as newer cars but plenty enough to throw around a corner or whatnot, and it has plenty of bite oh and I have front disc rear drum
Old 03-14-2008, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroKidZ28
hmm it'll be fun to drive.. im driving a 70 camaro (2nd gen) with a 454 putting about 500 down, gas sucks, it does not stop as fast or handle as well as newer cars but plenty enough to throw around a corner or whatnot, and it has plenty of bite oh and I have front disc rear drum
Well to have one in nice condition, AND then swapped into an LS1 w a T56... that would send me way over budget... unfortunately. Wouldn't the modern engine and trans make the car feel unnatural?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stepdad has a 68 Camaro RS with a 327 in it, and you pretty much hit it right on the money. It's pretty much all original, great condition, with a few updates (heavier leaf springs in the rear, flowmaster mufflers, stereo, etc) and the thing is a serious attention getter. It sounds good, looks better, but driving it leaves a lot to be desired. I hardly ever drive the thing anymore because it pretty much just sucks. It's slow, the handling is extremely squirrely, and it takes a half mile to come to a stop from 40 mph. When it comes to taking a cruise in my SS or his car, I always choose mine because I'd just rather drive it.

If you're looking for something that is fun to drive and can rip around in, get a newer one. If you're looking for more of a head turner, investment show car, then look around for a first gen. You can definitely drop an LS1 and modern suspension in an old car, but it's gonna cost you big bucks in the long run.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can do all the work yourself, you can build a low budget LS-powered 1st gen. The 67-68 are cheaper to get into than the 69. Resale value on all three years is excellent though, and the more you invest into the car, the more you get out of it. There is a HUGE aftermarket for modernizing these 1st gen Camaros. There are several companies now that make complete conversion kits for putting an LS engine into them. The bad thing about a 4th gen is that they are a huge money pit and once you cross that $20K investment point, it becomes nearly impossible to recover any of your expenses. Put $40K into a 1st gen and do things nicely, and you get $40K back out of it (or more).

Here is one of my previous projects: www.ExtremeG.net

Here are some good forums to visit:

www.Pro-Touring.com
www.Lateral-G.net (scroll down on the intro page to see a TON of cars)
Old 03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

See that thing looks friggen awesome. The problem I think I might run into is all anticipation... then I get into one and I am nothing but disapointed. Kind of like that SMOKING hot girl that EVERYONE wants, and you never thought you could have...

Then you hit it, and it... well it sucked.

I don't have that kind of money to invest in a car, I really don't...

I will be taking out a $25,000 Cadet loan from USAA @ 2% and I will be a reserve LT (currently up for E-5 on the enlisted side). And I don't want to take out ALL of it, I think though whatever I buy I can get something awesome for $25,000 but I won't get to enjoy it as much because I have to think of the $450 payment once I am out of school. I would feel much more comfortable spending between $15-20,000 on something...

Maybe I should just find myself a nice C5 FRC? I thought of an EVO too... I live in Maine and will be moving to PA.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sort of defines my experience as well. Back in high school I drove a '77 Trans Am and a '65 GTO. Both were lookers, reasonably fast, but were a pain in the *** to drive, especially the GTO although it rode very comfortably. Fast forward to '96 when I bought my 3.8 Camaro brand new and was amazed how well it drove but power wasn't overwhelming. Then I get hit by a drunk drive in '06 totalling my Camaro so I upgraded to an '02 Z28 and am amazed by the damn thing. All of the short comings of the GTO and the Trans Am were nowhere to be found in my 4Gen. All of the creature comforts of a new car with the blistering accelleration of an old school muscle car. The best of both worlds in my opinion and wouldn't have it any other way. If I do ever get back into a previous generation f-body it will definitely be a weekend only car, no DD like my Z is now. These 4Gen's just completely rock!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

my friend had one just like you posted up about.....but just like you said, it wasn't fun to drive.

It sounded cool, looked cool, but man, My 88 mustang used to KILL that thing in all aspects..

I wouldn't own that thing EVER. His gf ended up making him sell it because it was such a downer of a daily driver.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 PM

I had a 77 T/A in High School. Was fun in a straight line. Did not stop for **** and handled like garbage. Car was 8 years old at the time though.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Our 67 is a ton of fun to drive, but long rides kill your back. We swapped in an LS1/T56 combo, and updated the brakes/suspension. The car is a real attention getter, gets 27mpg, starts every time, and handles very well. The lack of arm rests and cupholders can get annoying if you are in the car for a long time. The buckets from that area are not exactly comfy for a long haul. I put a soft side cooler on the console for long rides to give an arm rest, and usually will roll up a towel to put behind my back. We have XM hidden in the car, and that helps a bit. Even doing the work ourselves, we have a few pennies invested.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

In my opinion, a 1st generation Camaro is not a good choice for a daily driver. I have a 1969 Camaro...and I just love it, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But, they just don't make good daily drivers. They are 40 year old cars and they drive like it. They handle terrible, don't stop well, burn a ton of gas, and constantly break because of their age. The only way to make one a good daily driver in my opinion would be to take the car and completely rebuild it new. New suspension, disc brakes, new wiring, and new engine and drive train...as was suggested before, an LS engine would be a good choice because of the gas mileage...but that would be a hugely expensive process.

I have had my '69 Camaro for 5 years now, I bought it for $8500 in 2003 with a 350 in it and now probably have close to $20,000 into the car (now has a 396). Its just now starting to be a reliable driver...but it gets about 8-10 miles per gallon.

These cars make wonderful weekend/sunny day drivers. They grab attention and the girls love them...but they aren't a good choice for a daily driver. If you are in the $20K price range for a attention getter performance car, get a Corvette or some other LS car.

I bought my '69 as a "toy" car that I can tinker with and drive on weekends...and I love it for that. But, I would never use it as a daily driver.

Last edited by CamaroDMD; 03-16-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Wanted to add photos :)
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that even though they look great, they are 40 year old technology. As Tony mentioned, they can be customized to suit your tastes and still bring a good return on the dollar value. I've had 2 classic muscle cars and yes I know they are not 4th gens when it comes to today's standard of handling and such. But I daily drove one all through high school and college and I'd do it again. You just need to understand what shortcomings they have (opinions and what you can "deal with" vary) then address them.

My Nova still get 13 mpg highway which for a non-overdrive SBC with 3.73 gears and runs mid 11s off the jug isn't bad IMHO.

I'd say buy one and get a beater for your commuting needs.

Derek
Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

There are modern fixes for all of the old school technology issues that all of you speak of and with most of them you can retain the stock look. I'm looking for a 67 or 69 to DD and I may wind up DD'ing my current 69. BTW, if that 383 was a pooch something was wrong with it. Mine is a 350 and it will get up when I want it to.

Last edited by Elite_Hot_Rod; 03-20-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 AM
12 Second Club

Not exactly a '69, but the technology is all the same!

I daily drove my '80 Formula for about two years before getting tired of it and buying the Z28. If you have it set up right, they make awesome cars. My problem was that I had no heat or air conditioner, no power steering, and a gas guzzling '69 vintage 400 with a damn TH400 hangin' from it's ***. The thing shook and shimmied over bumps and had a leak or two, but got tons of attention and looked a hell of alot cooler than my Camaro.

For the price, you can't beat a 2nd gen F-body. I paid $3,800 for mine and put about $1,300 into fixing little mechanical this and thats.

If mine had the amenities that my 4th gen does, I would still be driving it every day.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Just bought a 69 Camaro

I had a 69 Camaro back in high school and college and sold it a few years back. It was nicely equipped qith a procharger and intercooler and make close to 500 HP ar the crank....nothing too fancy but alot of fun. These past few years I have missed vintage muscle. Granted the Mercedes I have as a daily driver has spoiled me with modern creature comforts, a nice V-8 that gets great gas mileage, and substantially better handling and braking--yeah I know its not a chevy!

I still missed the "feel" of an old musclecar. Was doing some searching these past 3-4 months and just bought this 69 Camaro with a twin turbo 383 with a Holley stealth ram injection setup. Its backed up with a 4L80E and a factory 12 both with 3.73s out back. No cancer whatsover and all it really needs is some interior, a good paintjob, and a suspension to put all the power it makes to the pavement (i.e. a four link!). Its ran 10.7s at the track on 12 psi on the factory suspension. Also has some comforts like power steering and power disk brakes that make it more drivable.

See pic of the motor here:
http://www.racingjunk.com/post/10788...69-CAMARO.html
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think a 1st gen with modern drivetrain, suspension, and brakes (maybe even interior upgrades?) would be a lot of fun to have. You'd get the look of the 1st gen with the fun and performance of a modern muscle car.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS#1531
I think a 1st gen with modern drivetrain, suspension, and brakes (maybe even interior upgrades?) would be a lot of fun to have. You'd get the look of the 1st gen with the fun and performance of a modern muscle car.
I couldn't agree more. But, the original post mentioned a price of about $20K and I don't think that could be done for anywhere near that. Now, if I had around $40K or so to spend on my car...that is exactly what I would do. I think it would be sweet.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Man, i just seen a 69 100% done.... Clean *** Hell.

Had a 396 Race engine with 600Hp.
Disk Brakes
Power Stearing
12 Bolt

Only think was it ran on Race Gas.

*Crys*

Quick Reply: Would a nice 1st Gen Camaro be fun to drive/own?