LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bad Starter again

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Bad Starter again

I swear I have zero luck with starters, the car does this randomly, but when you turn the key, you get nothing, starter is dead. Then eventually you turn it enough, it will crank and then start up. It could go a few weeks and never do this again. So far its always started just gotta turn the key a bunch of time, battery is always left on maintainer to retain charge. The car used to do this when an old starter I had went bad a few years ago, but it was only when the car was hot. Now it does randomly, I can see the volt gauge move when I try and crank it, so power is going some where. Just seems like the symptoms of a starter going out. Only other thing I could think is maybe an ignition switch, but I can see the volt gauge move, the cars sending power to try and start, the starter isn't either getting it or not working.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the ignition switch to me.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by smoknta
Sounds like the ignition switch to me.
Went out there just now, started with no issue. In situations like this, I just wish what ever was bad would just break so I could trouble shoot it. The ignition switch has been in the back of mind, but it seems a lot like starting electrical problem.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

I have been having this same exact problem on my LT1 thirdgen. I thought maybe it was because the starter was so dirty from oil. I haven't figured out this problem yet, as it is stored currently and I haven't put the starter back on yet. I will be taking it out soon, though, and will report anything if I find anything out.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 AM

I busted out the trusty service manual, its either a bad ignition switch or a battery issue. Just have to wait for it to do it again so I can follow the trouble shooting. Its looks more and more like a electrical issue then a ignition switch. Your suppose to watch what the lamps do when you turn the key and go from there.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Teching In

I'm having exactly the same problem. Let me know if you figure this one out.
I'd also appreciate some troubleshooting tips.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

I actually think it's the solenoid on the starter. I was going to try another one to see if it fixed the problem.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:28 PM

I have the dealer service manual, the problem is either electrical or a ignition switch, you can follow the tree and rule out what it possibly could be. How ever it hasnt done it again, so I havent had the chance to diagnose it.

Quick Reply: Bad Starter again