LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Reccomended Opti change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reccomended Opti change?

When is the most ideal time to replace the opti? My car has just under 90k and I was going to install headers as well as change the plugs and wires. many people say not to replace, wait until it goes. Others say to replace it now
Old 03-14-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

does your car run fine? are you changing the waterpump? if yes to running fine and no to changing the waterpump i would wait no sense in buying parts you dont need until you need them.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97badass
does your car run fine? are you changing the waterpump? if yes to running fine and no to changing the waterpump i would wait no sense in buying parts you dont need until you need them.
Exactly the situation. But changing the plugs and wires and leaving the opti is like changing your oil but leaving the same filter on, correct?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

not really, as long as the optical sensor isnt giving you problems then you are ok. usually you would treat it like a rear mounted distributor where you change the cap and rotor during a tune up, but the placement of it keeps alot of people away because of the waterpump removal.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

All of my previous cars had a cap and rotor, or the ignition control modules(fwd GM cars). I guess it's habit to want to rplace the opti from past tune ups.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its not broke dont fix it. how many miles on it?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

a wise man once told me, if your opti works, don't **** with it.

you get the picture =P
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
a wise man once told me, if your opti works, don't **** with it.

you get the picture =P
i live by them wise man's words!!
Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hbgben
When is the most ideal time to replace the opti? My car has just under 90k and I was going to install headers as well as change the plugs and wires. many people say not to replace, wait until it goes. Others say to replace it now
My opti is at 147K and gives me zero problems. I changed the water-pump around 120k and wires about 4-5 months ago. Do not fear the opti, its not THAT bad, especially if you have a vented one.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!! If its running good save your money for a rainy day, you will need it!!
Old 03-15-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!! If its running good save your money for a rainy day, you will need it!!
He didn't ask for a tongue twister
Old 03-15-2008, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

At that milage I would consider a cap and rotor change. As said it just gets neglected because of reduced accessibility and cost. I think a lot of the "dead optis" are caused by letting the cap and rotor completely fail. If it gets too hard for the spark to jump where it is supposed too it can try and find another way and back through the optical sensor would be a BAD path for it to take. I bet more optis have been replaced due to bad cap and rotor than because of a bad sensor, most guys just buy into all the opti hate online and never take the time to understand anything.

If you pull the pump to replace the cap and rotor I would be prepared to replace the pump, at 96K miles I replaced the whole opti because I was young and dumb and bought into all the opti hate, it was NOT the problem and I reused the WP which began weeping a few thousand miles later so I had to pul that all apart again. Did not hurt the new opti though either. A little dielectric grease like on sparkplug wire boots put on the seal of the electrical connector for the opti goes a long ways towards keeping it water tight.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
At that milage I would consider a cap and rotor change. As said it just gets neglected because of reduced accessibility and cost. I think a lot of the "dead optis" are caused by letting the cap and rotor completely fail. If it gets too hard for the spark to jump where it is supposed too it can try and find another way and back through the optical sensor would be a BAD path for it to take. I bet more optis have been replaced due to bad cap and rotor than because of a bad sensor, most guys just buy into all the opti hate online and never take the time to understand anything.

If you pull the pump to replace the cap and rotor I would be prepared to replace the pump, at 96K miles I replaced the whole opti because I was young and dumb and bought into all the opti hate, it was NOT the problem and I reused the WP which began weeping a few thousand miles later so I had to pul that all apart again. Did not hurt the new opti though either. A little dielectric grease like on sparkplug wire boots put on the seal of the electrical connector for the opti goes a long ways towards keeping it water tight.
Good explanation, thanks

Quick Reply: Reccomended Opti change?