LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tuner cats- whats the first thing i need to do

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tuner cats- whats the first thing i need to do

ok i have had tuner cats for about two weeks along with my turbo install. whats the first thing to start adjusting would pulling about 5 degrees out of timing be good?what about maxing the maf tables at the higher frequencies? changing the injector size down a pound or two? I am currently all stock with a 255 fuel pump and running 5lbs of boost . i have been driving it easy staying out of boost but if i play with the gas when i hit anything over 3lbs it starts breaking up. it will be a month before i can afford injectors. please any advice would be a huge help
Old 03-15-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
ok i have had tuner cats for about two weeks along with my turbo install. whats the first thing to start adjusting would pulling about 5 degrees out of timing be good?what about maxing the maf tables at the higher frequencies? changing the injector size down a pound or two? I am currently all stock with a 255 fuel pump and running 5lbs of boost . i have been driving it easy staying out of boost but if i play with the gas when i hit anything over 3lbs it starts breaking up. it will be a month before i can afford injectors. please any advice would be a huge help
You already mentioned your problem. Everytime you hit anything over 3 lbs, your leaning it out and its breaking up. Don't drive it until you get BIGGER injectors. Might as well get 45-50# injectors.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your boosted i would suggest a speed density tune aka mafless
Old 03-15-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are using the MAF, definitely do not max the MAF tables, whatever you mean by that. If you touch the MAF tables at all it needs to be based on your observed fuel trim corrections from a datalog, and even then you have to do that carefully.

Don't change the injector size to anything different than the injectors you are running, but you probably do need bigger injectors, I would imagine 24lbs would be maxed with not much boost.

You only need to pull timing if you notice knock retard.

Basically you need to scan the car first before making any of those adjustments.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you look here?
http://www.monodax.com/forums/forums.php
you have started a few threads about this that i have seen.
the first thing is to make sure your WBO2 is configured and working correctly,
as well as whether on not you injectors are up to par.
you are flirting with disaster if you are idling/WOTing lean with boost.
you might want to look into taking your car to a shop to at least correct the
things you are not sure of.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Don't change the injector size to anything different than the injectors you are running, but you probably do need bigger injectors, I would imagine 24lbs would be maxed with not much boost.
Possibly the worst advice I've seen today so far. He does need bigger injectors, and running MAFless won't do anything better. You need a wideband and tune your car properly!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by halucinator
Possibly the worst advice I've seen today so far. He does need bigger injectors, and running MAFless won't do anything better. You need a wideband and tune your car properly!
lmao, did you even read what you just quoted?

Yeah he needs bigger injectors, that's what I said. I also said not to set the injector constant to something different than the size injector he has. When he gets larger injectors, then we will obviously need to adjust it for the size of those. The injector constant should be set to the size you have, that is basic common sense.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
lmao, did you even read what you just quoted?

Yeah he needs bigger injectors, that's what I said. I also said not to set the injector constant to something different than the size injector he has. When he gets larger injectors, then we will obviously need to adjust it for the size of those. The injector constant should be set to the size you have, that is basic common sense.
Oh jeez read it wrong.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol yeah i am trying to scrounge up the funds for injectors,and am still figuring out what does what in the tuner cat software.i am just trying to clarify anything that comes to mind on my situation.my turbo is big and dont spool under half throttle so i am not hitting boost unless i am getting on it, which isnt happening till some injectors make there way into my finances.Family+house payment=little money for my ride lol .But some 65Lb deka injectors is my current hurdle before i can do some major tuning. just a matter of time.

Quick Reply: tuner cats- whats the first thing i need to do