LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94z28...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94z28...HELP!!!

My brother has a 94z and everytime he drives the thing is dies now. He drove it a mile down the road and it shut off 8 times. If you let it sit for a second it will fire right back up. Do you guys have any clue what this could be? If any of you propose a suggestion and its right i'll contact you and paypal you some cash for helping Not a ton, just and incentive for being helpful.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

I would start by changing the fuel filter.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

ignition switch maybe?
Old 03-15-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definatly sounds fuel/ignition related. Check the easy stuff like fuel filter, and that all the spark plug wires are attached to the distributer, and that the coil wire is hooked up properly.

Is it sending any SES codes? This will help determine what is going on. Also, what else is it doing? What specifically does it do when it dies? Do the RPM's just fall dead even while trying to give it gas? Does it sputter around for a while until it dies? Does it die when at idle? Or only on the road? More info is really needed.

Next thing to check would be the fuel pump, or ignition coil as either of them being bad would also cause the car to die. Does it have fuel in it? Sometimes the gauges can say they have fuel in them, but really can be faulty and you can be running the car out of gas. This actually happened to me not that long ago. The gauge said I had between 1/4 and 1/2 tank left and it was bone dry! Also, try pulling a few of the injectors to make sure their not clogged.

How many miles are on the car? What kind of shape is it in other wise? If it hasn't been kept in good maintenance shape, it might be a ton of different things.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

The car has 45k original miles on it. The car also has a new fuel filter, plug, and wires and all are installed properly. It doesnt matter if your driving down the road or just idling, sometimes the car will just shut off on it own but will start right back up. I also have some more info that was just learned about yesterday. My brother was just looking over some of the fuses and found that the 20 amp fuse for the AIR pump was melted down really good like something shorted out bad. Well he just pulled it out and the car has ran fine ever since. The car was having problems charging and idling with a surge every once in a while, but now since he has taken the fuse out it runs fine.....what the heck could this have to do with any of it?????
Old 03-17-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure. But if its running "fine" now, I would keep driving it to make sure. Then I would look a little closer into the fuse box, and check out the wiring that the wiring to the AIR pump is correct and not fused or attached incorrectly.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds to me like the airpump is fried
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I'll look into the AIR Pump and see what i can find. He's been driving it for a couple of days now and everything seems fine....actually, seen him at the gas station this morning on the way to work and when he left it sounded better than fine...lol.....but i think he may need to go get some new tires now cuz he left most of them by the gas station. Thanks a lot for your input and i'll keep you updated with what we find out.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had the same issue on my car, turned out i was blowing the PCM IGN fuse.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

SlowZ28, You brother may have other problems, the air pump fuse is in the box under the engine cowl and the PCM fuse(s) are in the main fuse box. So they are not feed by the same fusable link. Since the fuse was " melted down" it sounds like bigger problems than a bound up air pump. A bad pump should have just blown the 20 amp fuse. If the car was stalling, not charging correctly I would suspect a short drawing the battery voltage low enough (below 8-10 volts) to shutdown the PCM but not blowing any fuses or fusable links. That would be a pretty good short. If the fuse melted to the point where it became shorted out instead of open it may have cause it. If you are going to replace the pump I would check for melted wires before replacing the fuse.

Quick Reply: 94z28...HELP!!!