Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AHHH!!!! This damn car! Help me out....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHHH!!!! This damn car! Help me out....

well today i felt like fixing my boost settings for 10 pounds and i did. so i went out to romp on it and i hit my rev limiter in first gear going into second because i was starring at the boost gauge anyways some black smoke came out the back, ive hit the limiter before and it did the same thing so i wasnt to worried about it. i turned my boost controller off thinking that was anough for today and run it at 5 pounds right off the wastegate and now it builds boost slow as hell and maybe only gets 3-4 pounds at most!. i looked under the car, checked all the piping thinking i might have blown a boost pipe but everything looks fine. no leaking oil. and no engine noises. the car seems to run fine until i want to get on it, it still runs fine at wot but without it building boost it feels like a dog. i hear the turbo spooling and everything. you think it might be the turbo? and what could of been the black smoke? i let off right after it hit and just coasted so it didnt bounce.

atleast the 2 second right at 10 pounds was fun , i need to invest in a shift light asap!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

I would think that the black smoke would be from running rich under full boost but if it was excessive smoke like a large cloud it may be something else.

With the controller off and it's not building full boost either you have a leak on the exhaust side, leak on the charge side, a damaged impeller or propeller, or sticking open wastegate.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

the wastegate is not sticking, i checked that also because thats what i thought was happening. i checked all the charge pipes from the back to front (sts rear mount) i will take a better look at the exhaust today. i mean the turbo sounds fine, would i hear anything different with a damage turbo? this is confusing. the car runs PERFECT, i just drove it this morning to get detailed but i builds maybe 1psi now at wot. i might try to turn my boost controller on and turn up the boost to see if it is the wastegate. but then again if the turbo is bad i dont want any metal pieces flying into my intake............

any other suggestions? no CEL's either
Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

cant you take off a vacum line off you wastegate to see if it is broken so it stays closed? im guess the line on top of the wastegate? i will just let off if it does start building boost.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

You can do that but you have to be super careful not to overboost it!

If your only building 1 psi @ WOT you've definately either got a damaged turbo or an exhaust leak if you have fully checked the charge tubing.

I had an exhaust guy weld a hangar on my piping near the right rear wheel so it would help support the turbo(didn't have a welding machine at my disposal at the time of install) and he did an improper weld (ended up welding right through the pipe) and a few moths later it broke loose but I could barely hear it even outside the car.

Not untill I put the car on a lift did I find it. I put my hand over the exhaust pipe(with a glove of course)so it would build more pressure in the exhaust while idling and then I could hear it clean as day pulsing out of the hole.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

ok hopefully its just a leak somewhere. if i were to take off the turbo, what should i check for? shaft play and check the blades? i dont see any oil around the turbo so i guess thats a good sign. i guess if somthing did come off, im lucking i have 100 feet of piping that piece has to go through........ whenever it clears up today i will look at it again.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i would check the shaft for play and the fins on the impellers for missing fins or maybe even a noticable gap between the impeller and housing
Old 03-16-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Definately look at the clearances of the housing and check for damaged fins. Are you running an intercooler?

When driving you can feel that the car is not making boost correct? This will help rule out a faulty boost gauge or wiring.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Check all of your vacuum lines to make sure one did not come loose. Under higher boost levels, this is more common if you do not have them all wire tied, happened to me once.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

i checked all the lines and they seem to be on good. and yes the car is noticably slower and i dont hear the wastegate opening so i know its not hitting atleast 5 pounds, the gauge is showing 0psi, the wastegate is closed and the bov is closed so they arent leaking. i just dont see how the car can be running so good with a blown turbo and i checked the exhaust side today and it looks normal.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

o yea and no intercooler
Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

Even with a damaged turbo as long as it's not creating a complete blockage it can still provide enough air to run the vehicle.

Definately check the blades and get back with us to see what's goin on! Also BE CAREFUL but spin the blades to ensure that they are turning freely. I have seen a few turbos lock slam up but you said you heard it spool so that would almost rule that out but it's worth a check.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

yea its a sts rear mount so u can definitly hear the turbo spooling no question. i will work on it tomarrow. thanks for ur help
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

are you sure there are no boost leaks? on the intake and exhaust side? i myself have had both things happen..... I would think that a damaged turbo would make the car run like ****, because thats what happened to my car and it wouldnt build any boost whatsoever. With an exhaust leak, my car would barely build boost at all, like 1 psi, and after awhile i had oil coming out of my tailpipe from it...
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wwmost
thanks for ur help

No problem man, that's what were here for. I always want to see a fellow rear mount guy succeed. There are so many people out there doubting us it's nice to have another member to prove them wrong!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i have my money on you having a boost pipe leak. check on tears in couplers or popped off pipes
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

thats what i HOPE it is. i tried to look really good yesterday, as best as i could for how hi the car was. maybe i will try to tighten every coupler. because this feels like it did when my charge pipe popped off my tb a little bit but was still on there. its doing the same thing, thats why that was the first thing i looked at.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

well opon further inspection i went under the car while it was running and felt every piipe, coupler and connection and found out my cat is leaking like crazy. its coming out of the side of the shell. i guess when i hit the rev limiter it blew the cat. so i guess thats a good thing that the turbo isnt blown. i guess a race pipe is gonna go on in a couple of days. will the cel come on?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:50 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No CEL, you should be OBD1. Get rid of that cat and you'll make more power too!