Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing wiring leads from PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing wiring leads from PCM

I'm gonna be modifying a stock B-Body LT1 harness to retrofit an LT1 into my 87 Chevy pickup. I'm removing some un needed pieces from the PCM wiring like transmission (staying TH400) and a/c wiring. Now can I safely clip these flush with the pcm connector and fill the connector with silicone?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No sure what a B-Body PCM and Connector looking.. but you should be able to remove the pin and wire from the connector.. There are tools for this job.... most parts stores will carry them. Snap-on or MAC tools will also carry them.

Sometimes the tool looks like star shaped tool with various pin tools... they will look like tubes, picks, forks, etc.. just slide in the correct tool to release the tang on the pin and the pin should just slide out the other side (wire side).
Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i used some liquid electrical tape from wal mart after i plucked the wire,
Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Use a small screw driver to open up the connector on the back side where all of the wires exit. It assembles like a clam shell. The hold the connector vertical with the colored end up and you will see two white tangs that retain a colored cover red, blue, black, clear. Then depress the white tangs that are on the left and right of the colored plastic pcm connector and remove the colored retainer. Then if you lift up on the pins using a small pick while pulling the wire from behind the wires will slip right out. They are the same pins an LSX harness uses. On the unused wire holes use a tube of silicone that has a very small hole in the end and lightly fill the empty hole to prevent water intrusion into the pcm.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The small blue and red covers come off real easy but make sure you mark the connectors for C1 and C2 first. To remove any unnecessory wire, just cut it about an inch behind the pcm connector and simply push the short piece out the front. No special tools required.

Quick Reply: Removing wiring leads from PCM