Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharging Firehawk - Questions

Old 03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Supercharging Firehawk - Questions

I'm new to this forum. I, for the most part, know what goes on under the hood, but when it comes to certain performance modifications, it gets a little confusing to me - especially now with all the queer emission laws.

Anyways, I'm planning on supercharging my 2000 Trans Am Firehawk (LS1 / MM6) this year at East Coast Supercharging in New Jersey. If anyone has any experience dealing with them, let me know your thoughts. I also want to keep the car "as original as possible," meaning if I put any parts on it, I want to limit my options to SLP. I plan on getting the cold air intake kit, chip upgrade, headers, LS6 intake manifold, polished heads, a very mild cam, and valve springs - basically, a top-end overhaul.

The thing is, I'm not sure what compression ratios are engine-safe wth a supercharger and I guess I'm not quite sure what order to do the work in... Should I put the supercharger on BEFORE or AFTER all the other parts?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think u should start by reading the stickies in this section about turbo/supercharging there is a lot of information there.What kind of power are u looking for.How much boost are u planning on running.Forged rods and pistons are a very good idea.Forget the chip ugrade and get the car tuned.Personally i would wait till u get all the other parts of before supercharging the car so then u dont break parts when u put it on.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I did look through the stickies there. I'm looking to get 500hp, dependent on the supercharger I get. Unfortunately, I don't want to change the Firehawk hood, and ECS only sells a couple small SCs to accommodate that. As far as programming... ECS uses LS1Edit to tune all their installs. I plan on doing all the work myself except the supercharger... so I should just wait and have it tuned afterwards with LS1Edit?

I also heard that too high of a compression is not good for supercharged motors. Is that true?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a procharger, you shouldnt have to change the hood (i believe the intercooled vortech kits had hood clearance issues), headers, ls6 intake, tune and fuel.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the mechanic building my car pushed out 560rwhp and about 615 torque out of a bone stock 2000 SS with a rear mount turbo
Old 03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Just a few thoughts...

If you're looking to keep the car as original as possible, you're not going to want to put a supercharger on it.

You will not need to buy a cold air intake if you plan on doing this, as it won't be of any use.

I also see no reason you should need to change your hood. I know Vortech and ATI kits both clear the F-Body hoods.

You'll definitely need to get the car tuned after a supercharger install.

Keep reading and searching this section and you'll become overwhelmed with the amount of information here. It may help you decide better if this is something you really want to get involved in.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hawk - I thought about a turbo, but in my own opinion, just reading about them and the little experience I've had with them - they're very fussy and hard to maintain. A centrifugal supercharger is mush easier to install, and much less finicky. I actually decided on a SC because of a guy I work with and his input and experience with it.

Also, I don't know if you guys already know this or even care, but I found a place to purchase LS1-Edit:
http://carputing.tripod.com/LS1main.htm

Thanks for the input, guys! Keep it coming! I'm just getting into this, and still learning a lot about it, so THANKS!! And sorry if I may sound dumb now and then... because I am.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

enjoy your firehawk!!! dont let it sit in a garage, they look better driving down the road then collecting dust. i'm on the learning curve as far as turbo'ing. hopefully i'll get my hawk back by the end of the month...
Old 03-16-2008, 05:07 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
I'm new to this forum. I, for the most part, know what goes on under the hood, but when it comes to certain performance modifications, it gets a little confusing to me - especially now with all the queer emission laws.

Anyways, I'm planning on supercharging my 2000 Trans Am Firehawk (LS1 / MM6) this year at East Coast Supercharging in New Jersey. If anyone has any experience dealing with them, let me know your thoughts. I also want to keep the car "as original as possible," meaning if I put any parts on it, I want to limit my options to SLP. I plan on getting the cold air intake kit, chip upgrade, headers, LS6 intake manifold, polished heads, a very mild cam, and valve springs - basically, a top-end overhaul.

The thing is, I'm not sure what compression ratios are engine-safe wth a supercharger and I guess I'm not quite sure what order to do the work in... Should I put the supercharger on BEFORE or AFTER all the other parts?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!!

This list may help you out.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=540

This is the supercharger combination that I recommend. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharging Firehawk - Questions