Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano lowering springs and drag racing?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano lowering springs and drag racing?

Just curious as to how Strano springs and drag racing work? Will my 60ft times be affected as much with Strano springs versus my stock springs. I'm not wanting drag springs, I'm wanting the look of a lowered car without losing too much driveability, so from what I've researched here, Strano seems to be the way to go.

I have a local shootout coming up in a few weeks, so basically I'm trying to find out if I should wait till after the track event to install the Strano's.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

You should install some lower control arm relocation brackets. im guessing they would affect your 60 times, but not sure by how much.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, all in good time. It sucks having to piece things together over time. I figured Mr Strano himself would've answered this question by now.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing... ive wondered this also
Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me three, would like these springs with the koni's for the street/strip.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Better question is, how much are you leaving on the table going with Koni over a drag shock like Q1a or whatever.

Doubt the springs will matter much at all, but Im no expert. LCA, TA, and shocks are going to matter a lot more than springs over our stockers, from what I read on here.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't answer it the way you'd like. The springs aren't meant for drag racing. Any lower and stiffer springs hurts weight transfer to some degree. The same effect as you get in terms of body roll when you lower. Ever notice "drag" springs are tall and soft? Of most lowering springs I think mine are some of the best launching. I don't run super stiff rear rates, and I don't slam the car.

As for the shocks. All I can tell you is that if you turn Koni's down in front they don't launch bad. More than one guy in the 1.6's on Koni's and springs, and one many pulled a 1.50 on stock springs and Koni's (better than on QA1/Afco combination)

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Of most lowering springs I think mine are some of the best launching. I don't run super stiff rear rates, and I don't slam the car.
Good enough for me. I guess I'll just wait to install your springs, then I'll always have something to compare it to once the springs are on.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I can't answer it the way you'd like. The springs aren't meant for drag racing. Any lower and stiffer springs hurts weight transfer to some degree. The same effect as you get in terms of body roll when you lower. Ever notice "drag" springs are tall and soft? Of most lowering springs I think mine are some of the best launching. I don't run super stiff rear rates, and I don't slam the car.

As for the shocks. All I can tell you is that if you turn Koni's down in front they don't launch bad. More than one guy in the 1.6's on Koni's and springs, and one many pulled a 1.50 on stock springs and Koni's (better than on QA1/Afco combination)
Thats good enough answer for me as was leaning towards the koni's and stock springs but would really like the strano springs. You can't have everything though!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

ill be putting some strano's on also let me know if it affected your 60ft. i wont be able to see if it messed with my times for another week or so. Im doing the LCA and relocation brackets which i heard you need when lowering a car.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Let us know in THIS thread, if you would. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did it?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

I have yet to install them, I went to the shootout and ran an 11.15 on a crappy 1.73 sixty foot (spinning), then ran out of nitrous. So, I'm waiting to go back and net my 10.99 slip before truly messing up the launch, but I'll definitely post back in this thread when they're on and I've launched on them.

Joe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strano lowering springs and drag racing?