Drag Racing Tech - Ozite carpet finally installed!

View Full Version : Ozite carpet finally installed!

lunatik
03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello! I'm finally back and have finished the install. I just typed this twice and my patience is running thin so its going to be a quick and dirty. Also pics should be up in a few minutes. I used no heat gun or weights. This is the dark grey ozite.
I unrolled the ozite from the hatch and squared it up in the interior using the factory crease in the carpet. I started the project using four inches of overlap to tuck under the trunk carpet. I glued it down to the flat horizontal area in front of the ttop hole. I then trimmed the area that sits under the rear speakers and plastic moldings (conservately). I then glued it the next flat area behind the rear seats. If your not going to use your rear seats leave more material to cover the mounting bracket tabs. After that glue sets I then glued the carpet to the top of the trans tunnel about five inches back from the back wall forward. Let it set! Then I used my thumbs and fists to contour the carpet to the concave areas under the rear seat buckets. You'll hear and feel the fibers giving and moving.
Next I glued it down to the floor under the rear seat buckets. Then I trimmed some off of the area that sits under the mid speakers and plastic moldings. Now for the hardest and most time consuming part. I didnt remove the rear seat bucket mounting brackets and had to contour around them. Take your time and take breaks. I spent several hours here. After its satisfactory glue it from tunnel outwards.
Next, I split the carpet down the middle where the carpet meets the shifter area. I would trim little if any in the area next to the shifter and brackets. The carpet formed nicely to the floor boards and under the seats. Again, glueing from tunnel outwards. This is where I had to make incisions. To cure a fold I sliced out a thin triangle and laid the aft piece over the front piece then glued it. Also, I would leave at least an inch of carpet above the door sills/ weather strips when trimming. I wasnt conservative here and barely have enough to tuck under the plastic moldings here. From this area forward the carpet was nice to me and formed nicely around contours. I have pics and will be coming up with those in a minute.

SilverGhost
03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
sweet lets see the pics..i need to redo the carpet in the camaro again.

where do you get this stuff and what does it weigh?

lunatik
03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Here ya go. 11 lbs before trimming. I trimmed about 2 pounds off.

Phil99vette
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Not sure if I missed it but what glue did you use?

lunatik
03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Not sure if I missed it but what glue did you use?

Oh, 3M super 77. I Did'nt even have to use half of it and I sprayed everywhere.

Harley-Davidson88
03-16-2008, 09:25 PM
That looks pretty sharp. I need to do that to mine. :cool:

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Should of relocated the airbag mod and done a center console delete

lunatik
03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
That looks pretty sharp. I need to do that to mine. :cool:

Thanks! I didn't accurately keep track the time but I started at about 3:30pm today and finished around 7pm ish. I also put in 5 hours yesterday. If i had to do it again I would have to completely open up a weekend.

lunatik
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM

I'm still debating how far I'll take this weight reduction. I will get rid of the steering wheel for sure as I've found this Grant wheel that will look great. That will take care of the driver air bag. I like the stealth appeal and will try to make the car light as possible while keeping it looking close to stock as possible. Light weight seats are in the near future as is a fiberglass hood. Those are the two none stock appearing mods I will do. All else will be under the radar stuff.

LS1crazy01
03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Im surprised to see the spare tire still in that should be the first to go. And the carpet looks bad ass man!

lunatik
03-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Im surprised to see the spare tire still in that should be the first to go. And the carpet looks bad ass man!

Thanks, yup the spare tire is an easy one but, 1) this is my daily driver and the trip to work and back is 60 miles a day. 2) weight just above and behind the right rear tire is not a bad place to have it :D. Once I get the front lightend up and a strip minded suspension in there I wont need the rear ballist and it will come out. I've owned the car since Jan 06 and haven't gotten very far mainly due to me being away from home so much :bang:.

rmata
03-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Looks good man. I have the ozite in black sitting in my living room. I should be getting around to installing sometime this week. So you think it'll be easier to cut off the back seat brackets?

JL ws-6
03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Looks very good. you did a very good job with that. I have done this once myself, and had to cut/seam the rear area where the seats were, this time I am going to start in the back and work my way foreward like you did. I have alot of cage to go around which isn't gonna make the task any easier unfortunately.

Hopefully it will look as good as yours does though!!

InsaneAuto86
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
looks great! I need to do this as well. The stock carpet is heavy!

InsaneAuto86
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM

Any pics of an A4 with a center console delete?

Big Mike
03-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Looks awesome, good job! I plan on using the same...

1_bad_ss
03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Damn that turned out great. I'm ordering mine soon just debating on black or grey for my ebony interior

lunatik
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks good man. I have the ozite in black sitting in my living room. I should be getting around to installing sometime this week. So you think it'll be easier to cut off the back seat brackets?

Thanks everybody! That black should look great. That is the color in my 68. If your not going to every use the back seats again then cut them off. I shoud have not trimmed that area out on mine cause for now I wont be using it. But I dont know where I'll take this Camaro with my modification endeavors so I'm not going to cut out brackets for resale purposes.

lunatik
03-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Looks very good. you did a very good job with that. I have done this once myself, and had to cut/seam the rear area where the seats were, this time I am going to start in the back and work my way foreward like you did. I have alot of cage to go around which isn't gonna make the task any easier unfortunately.

Hopefully it will look as good as yours does though!!

At some point in the distant future I'll need to have a cage. So I must ask, how are you tailoring the carpet around the cage bars? I'm assuming the cage is through the floor and welded? The only solution I'm seeing for me is to cut the hole in the carpet and slice a seam line from there to the outside edge. Any better ideas or is that it? And thanks for the props! Its not as hard as I thought it was going to be.

JL ws-6
03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Yes, I will put a cut and just wrap the carpet around the hole ans seam it, thats' really the only way to do it. But I have removed the rear seat brackets because 2 of the cage bars are there now, so I don't have quite the task to deal with.

It's alot of work, but as you know, it can look good.

Coach 02 A3 Z/28
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Looks nice.

Coach

1_bad_ss
03-17-2008, 11:57 AM
What color is your interior? What would you guys run with ebony

lunatik
03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, I will put a cut and just wrap the carpet around the hole ans seam it, thats' really the only way to do it. But I have removed the rear seat brackets because 2 of the cage bars are there now, so I don't have quite the task to deal with.

I have no dought you'll bless us with some pics. That's going to look mean as Hell!
It's alot of work, but as you know, it can look good.

Looks nice.

Thanks Coach!

Coach

What color is your interior? What would you guys run with ebony
I have the medium/dark grey imterior. My 68's interior is black on black and I'm partial to it :D. Black can tastefully go with alot of color IMO. Specifically? I don't know man.

Reject
03-17-2008, 09:06 PM
really good job on the back seats, dosnt look like a bulldog's body roll's in the back

lunatik
03-17-2008, 09:33 PM
really good job on the back seats, dosnt look like a bulldog's body roll's in the back

:rotflmao: The trans tunnel ribs looks like wrinkles. If I wasnt keeping the back seat option I would have cut the tabs and rear bucket mounting brackets on the floor. That would have looked better IMO and would have saved hours of time in carpet install too. This carpet lays very well. I'm surprised a little.

Reject
03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
oh no like i have seen some where it looks like fat chick rolls, it's just like wtf did the guy not even try?!

your's i really like, looks like you took the time

Rogue86
03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Did you weigh your stock carpet?

Fast_94_Z
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
do they make the ozite carpet in black? also where can you buy this stuff?

rmata
03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
do they make the ozite carpet in black? also where can you buy this stuff?

Yes, I have black ozite waiting to be installed tomorrow. Go to www.yourautotrim.com

Beaflag VonRathburg
03-18-2008, 01:18 AM
I'm going to have to order some really soon. I too am debating on the black vs. dark grey right now.

InsaneAuto86
03-18-2008, 07:31 AM
I think I might do the back half in ozite and just have the floor mats up front. Dont want it to wear thin..

lunatik
03-18-2008, 04:56 PM
oh no like i have seen some where it looks like fat chick rolls, it's just like wtf did the guy not even try?!

your's i really like, looks like you took the time

Thank you! The areas between the trans tunnel and rear seat buckets took several hours by themselves. I wish I could have done it without seams (which are near the console area). The areas near the rear seat bucket mounts on the floor took a little longer. I like getting stuff done right-the first time.

Did you weigh your stock carpet?
32 lbs. I meaured twice. I was a little dissapointed in that I thought it weighed more. So the weight savings is about 23 lbs :bang:. If the scale is off I have no other to go by except my fishing scale and they are known to be the most accurate :eyes:.

rmata
03-19-2008, 01:21 AM
hmmm.....I didn't weigh mine, but it sure felt a lot heavier than 32 pounds. I was guessing somewhere around 45, but I don't have a scale so I'll go with what you measured.

I cut off the back seat brackets today and it does look like it'll help make it a lot easier when you put the carpet in. I would have got around to installing it today, but a storm came in. I can't wait til tomorrow though :)

ty_ty13
03-19-2008, 10:02 AM
i tried gluing this stuff down a year ago and i couldnt every get the stuff to stick using the 3M spray glue...... whats the secret?

lunatik
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
hmmm.....I didn't weigh mine, but it sure felt a lot heavier than 32 pounds. I was guessing somewhere around 45, but I don't have a scale so I'll go with what you measured.

I cut off the back seat brackets today and it does look like it'll help make it a lot easier when you put the carpet in. I would have got around to installing it today, but a storm came in. I can't wait til tomorrow though :)

I know what ya mean. Getting ready to pull the bumper support off and weather is ify here. I think the scale "maybe" accurate as it is ditigal. The carpet feels heavier than it really is because its hard to roll it up in a tight package to comfortably hold. Its an awkward bulk that I had to hold it with my hands very far apart and away from my body giving me little leverage.

i tried gluing this stuff down a year ago and i couldnt every get the stuff to stick using the 3M spray glue...... whats the secret?

I used the super 77 if that helps any. So your glue didnt hold its grip shortly after you sprayed it? weird. The only surface prep I did was swept the dirt n crap off the floor. I didnt wipe it down with Iso alcohol or anything. I held the can about 6-8 inches away and swept slowly. I didnt use that much. I think I have a half can or more left. After the spray made contact I wasted no time pressing the carpet down and smoothing the area out for a minute or so. I hope mine doesnt do that in such a short time. I'm not sure how it'll hold up in time dur to it being a daily driver subjected to floorboard heat. < if that even plays a role in this problem. Sorry if I couldn't help ya.

Phil99vette
03-19-2008, 06:02 PM
The 77 will probably peel up over time, Dap Weldwood contact cement is the stuff to use.

lunatik
03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
The 77 will probably peel up over time, Dap Weldwood contact cement is the stuff to use.

Oh, If there is a next time for me I'll try that instead. maybe Some people out there will see this and save a possible headache. Thanks!

Beaflag VonRathburg
03-19-2008, 11:11 PM
I've decided on black. I'm ordering mine right now. Now, I've just got to figure out the fuel system.

lunatik
03-20-2008, 03:56 AM
I've decided on black. I'm ordering mine right now. Now, I've just got to figure out the fuel system.

It's hard to go wrong with black carpet. That will look sharp! Good luck with that.

JL ws-6
03-20-2008, 05:17 AM
I used a cheap adhesive, sprayed it on the carpet, and on the floor. It stuck down pretty good.

The weldwood contact cement is by far the strongest stuff I know of, but if you ever want to take it back out, good luck.

Beaflag VonRathburg
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
It's hard to go wrong with black carpet. That will look sharp! Good luck with that.

That was my thinking behind it. I'm changing my whole interior over to black. $74.80 though for carpet.... :bang::bang::bang:

rmata
03-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I just finished up mine today. It took a couple of days, but that's because I had to keep stopping to help out a couple of friends with their cars. Wasn't that bad. The carpet is black, but it's hard to tell because the sun was so bright. I'm glad I cut those back seat brackets off :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/ruben_mata2/Car/DSC01084.jpg

lunatik
03-21-2008, 04:32 AM
That was my thinking behind it. I'm changing my whole interior over to black. $74.80 though for carpet.... :bang::bang::bang:

I know man. I didn't do the quick math and was like "cool only $15 per yard" before I ordered four yards and added shipping. Thats around $3/ lbs for the weight saving dollar per pound ratio in my case. If other people really did have heavier carpet than me then theirs is better.

lunatik
03-21-2008, 04:35 AM
I just finished up mine today. It took a couple of days, but that's because I had to keep stopping to help out a couple of friends with their cars. Wasn't that bad. The carpet is black, but it's hard to tell because the sun was so bright. I'm glad I cut those back seat brackets off :)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/ruben_mata2/Car/DSC01084.jpg

SWEET!! Damn that looks good. If I have to do this again in the future I'll cut my brackets and tabs off. Thats a clean job there rmata :D.

Hot Copper Z
03-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Where are you getting the ozite at?

Z06kern
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I just installed my ozite carpet a couple of days ago. The 3m general trim adhesive I used worked great. These are the best pics I have but I thought it turned out pretty good considering how light weight the carpet was.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/Z06kern/MVC-004F-21.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/Z06kern/MVC-002F-19.jpg

FASTFATBOY
03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Man those cars look NICE! Where is the cheapest place to get Ozite?

Those are the two best installs BY FAR I have seen.

David

cookba
03-21-2008, 04:00 PM
wow, i guess i will be adding this on my list of things to do. I want to add sound deadener first then put the ozite carpet ontop. anyone see a problem with the carpet no adhearing to the sound deadener backing?

Rogue86
03-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Wont the sound deadener negate a large ammount of the weight reduction?

Beaflag VonRathburg
03-22-2008, 12:12 AM
^ Yes.

You can get the carpet from this place: http://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html

lunatik
03-22-2008, 05:03 AM
ZO6kern, I see you took the Ozite further into the ttop/trunk hole a little further than I did. How far down did you apply the new carpet? Looks good BTW. I tucked the ozite (about four inches worth) under the stock trunk carpet and it looks like you still have it in.