Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Have TCS but no button

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have TCS but no button

My 2002 Camaro SS has traction control but there is no button to turn it off if I Want to. Can I install a button or switch to turn it off and on as I please? If so, how difficult is it to instal? I would prefer a button instead of the one that turns it off automatically when the car starts.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Should be an asr button next to the camaro logo above the radio.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Launching!

What makes you think you have TC?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
What makes you think you have TC?
X2....i have a feeling it might be the "no trac" light on the dash. If so then don't worry, all cars have that, with TCS or not
Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reddevilSS
My 2002 Camaro SS has traction control but there is no button to turn it off if I Want to. Can I install a button or switch to turn it off and on as I please? If so, how difficult is it to instal? I would prefer a button instead of the one that turns it off automatically when the car starts.
can't have TCS and NO button.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Banned

Look on your drivers door RPO list for code NW9, and make sure the vin on the door sticker matches the cars vin.
And look under the hood, there should be a cable from the throttle body to a small electric motor looking thing, take the cover off (two or three clips to bend up with your fingernail), you will see the gas pedal cable, TB cable, and cruise control cable. If you don't have the code or the motor with the cables connected to it you don't have ASR.

PS ASR is a lot different than, and is not traction control.
If you're used to driving a car with traction control it will modulate the brakes, work the throttle, etc and sometimes bring you back in control of the vehicle.
ASR simply regulates acceleration by using that electric motor to push the gas pedal up (you will feel it on your foot) it also retards timing.
Might be rare but if you drove a car with traction control and got used to it then drove one with ASR you might get in trouble.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Unhappy It's possible

I have code NW9, the black box with the three cables, and the light on the dash on start-up. No button though. I pulled the button cover and didn't see anything behind it.

So here's what happened. I took it to a shop to get the transmission fixed, and everything was fine, but after I blew up the torque converter and got that fixed, I got it back with a reset clock and apparently ASR is on now.

I'm assuming the previous owner did something to it that the shop undid. So it is possible to have ASR with no button to turn it off . When I first got the car, I swore it was going to kill me. With ASR on, it's just a fast, yet somehow docile car. How awful. I'm gonna call both of them and see what I can do to fix it.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Should be a plug right behind the radio bezel. one plug is for fog lights, other is for asr. I have a switch in perfect shape if your intered in it pm me.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old owner prolly removed the switch...its connected to the fog light switch pull that harness and look as far back as you can...they have to be there..

old owner might ahve had the thing that makes the asr off until you turn it on...then removed it before he sold it to you
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by daniel6718

old owner might ahve had the thing that makes the asr off until you turn it on...then removed it before he sold it to you
now theres a thought. could be.
i'm confused though. you said they reset the clock. you mean the odometer????
Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel6718
old owner prolly removed the switch...its connected to the fog light switch pull that harness and look as far back as you can...they have to be there..

Thats what I was thinking also.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by michaelg589
now theres a thought. could be.
i'm confused though. you said they reset the clock. you mean the odometer????
Talked to both the shop and previous owner yesterday. The shop said they had to disconnect the battery when taking the starter out and forgot to set the clock the last time. He suggested that my car was having issues with not downshifting at the right time because the '98s had a "hole" in the shift mapping or something that confuses the computer. I had thought that the previous owner had it retuned on a dyno, which would've closed that gap, but now I take everything he told me with a grain of salt.

I called up the previous owner, and he swore over and over that it didn't have ASR.

I want to do the daytime running light delete, so when I'm fishing around back there for the box I'll see if the switch just got shoved back there and covered over.

But I'm not even sure I really have it in the first place. I pulled the power connector from the ASR box and it didn't seem any different and I still had cruise control? Someone mentioned a fuse? Is that the ASR BAT fuse or the TCS fuse? I tried them all and the ASR light didn't stay on, so maybe someone did change something?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Got an ASR switch and plugged it in. The switch light stays on, but nothing happens when I push it. Not sure how it was disabled.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about. Just move on. LOL.

Quick Reply: Have TCS but no button