Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, converter wont slide into trans any further.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, converter wont slide into trans any further.

I am in the middle of swapping a th400 into my car in place of the old t56. I have read all the writeups and know that some people have issues getting their converters seated all the way into the trans. I got the converter slid into the trans as far as it seems to go. I bolted the bellhousing to the motor, and there isn't any space between the converter tabs and the bolt holes in my TCI flexplate. In all of the writeups it says there should be some space between them. Does the converter need to go in further? Or could it just be the design of the TCI flexplate? Because the flexplate mounting points actually extend of the face of the flexplate about a 1/4''. If the converter isnt seated properly, what can I do to get it to move in futher? I have pushed, jiggled, spun the converter, but it doesn't seem to go in any further.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have an 1/8" or so pullout from the convertor when you go to bolt it up to the flexplate. If you squeeze the converter in there , you can ruin the front pump. Measure the converter mounting face to the mounting flange on the th400 difference. There are specs that it should be within
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Just noticed that people with this flexplate should grind off all the powder coat on the mating surfaces of the flexplate. Thats a pretty shitty design IMO. Looks like Ill be pulling the trans back off tomorrow. Hopefully this is the problem.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you using the spacer that comes with it?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

No I didnt use the spacer because the converter is from yank and I think they make the converter so no spacers are needed. Do I still need to use the pilot spacer thing?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
No I didnt use the spacer because the converter is from yank and I think they make the converter so no spacers are needed. Do I still need to use the pilot spacer thing?
You think? You can't just assume on this.
They make converters for th400's that go behind old gen 1 small blocks, these have the short pilot that would need a spacer to bolt properly to an LS engine.
If you want a th400 with a LS pilot to go behind a LS engine you need to specify that with them when you order.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
You think? You can't just assume on this.
They make converters for th400's that go behind old gen 1 small blocks, these have the short pilot that would need a spacer to bolt properly to an LS engine.
If you want a th400 with a LS pilot to go behind a LS engine you need to specify that with them when you order.
I KNOW its specificly made for to bolt directly to an LS engine. It will be fine as soon as I get all the damn powdercoat off the flexplate mounting surfaces.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
I KNOW its specificly made for to bolt directly to an LS engine. It will be fine as soon as I get all the damn powdercoat off the flexplate mounting surfaces.

Do I still need to use the pilot spacer thing?
Then you don't use the pilot spacer.