General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What should I do, another TA or SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What should I do, another TA or SUV?

Okay guys, I have a question for you. As it sits I have the white TA in the sig with the mods. Here is the background. I'm not happy with the actual car itself, physically, it was in a fenderbender once and the back bumper doesn't line up 100% perfect, and I'm a perfectionist. I'm not too trilled about white, it is too dull for me, and I really miss my old blue TA. As it sits I pay $235/mo. for this car, and my insurance I pay every 6. I have been playing with some idea's so here is what I am looking at, 3 options:

Option 1:

Demod the white T/A and buy a stock T/A and convert everything over (please don't factor in the cost of switching things over into the decision, I'm not worried about that at this point), then sell the white TA as stock. After the white car was sold the payment on the new car would be $185/mo. with the potential of having less to pay every 6 mo for insurance. (the car is a 99 that I'm looking at). This obviously saves me in two area's. Here is what I see as positives:

Positives:

Less monthy costs after all is said and done, a car that I'm happy with the body etc. and has lower miles, a color I'm much happier with

Neg:

I will be paying for 2 cars, 2 loads of insurance etc. on a monthly basis until the white car is sold. With those costs, after those bills are paid, credit card, gas, misc. expenses etc. it would leave me w/$500/mo for basically groceries and going out (I'm a college kid, keep in mind). Keeping in mind, that after the white TA is sold I'm better off month to month and would have $735.00 for groceries and going out.

Option 2:

Demod the white car, sell the parts, pocket ~$5-6k, sell the car and purchase an SUV, paying about the same I am in payments and insurance month to month currently.

Positives:

$5-6k in pocket, no modding cost's on a monthly or yearly basis that I have right now. I would have a vehicle to go to the lake, snowboard, etc.

Negatives:

Same financial situation on a month to month basis. I would surely miss having a fast car, but I'm not sure if I would regret it. Thats all I can think of.

Option 3:

Keep everything how I am, the only positive here is I don't have to worry about 2 car payments for the length it would have taken me to sell the white car as stock, bad side is I'm not happy with it.

I know it was long, but what do you guys think, and why? If you see any more positives and negatives please point them out. Thanks for your input!

EDIT: Can a mod add a poll for Option's 1,2, and 3? I forgot!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not happy with it then buy the other one and put all of your mods on it. It wont take too long to sell. Go for it, there is no reason to keep a car you're not happy with.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

So there is one vote for option 1!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey TRUST, is there anyway u can maybe take it to another body shop to have them align it to your liking? your white T/A looks sweet man. but if you dont really like it, i would just demod it and get a new T/A and put those mods on your new fbod as well.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

I could take it to a shop and have them work on it, but then I'm out that money, and I'm still not thrilled about white.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I could take it to a shop and have them work on it, but then I'm out that money, and I'm still not thrilled about white.

yeah, then i would just DE-MOD it and sell it..
Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

i think if u arent happy with the car and u would probably regret the suv, i know i would, then do option 1.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

get it aligned and then painted your favorite color

OK maybe not. As it stands I wouldn't go for an SUV, I'm pretty sure you'd regret it in the long run. So I'd toss option 2 out personally. Is there a way you could maybe sell it first then buy the replacement? Would be better financially-wise but that would probably leave you in a hard place with no car...
Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

If I sold it first, I'd lose all my mods, or have to buy all stock stuff to replace them with, then sell it, then mod the other car, then sell that stock stuff. Not that I'm shooting down the idea, but it seems more hassle than its worth?
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

option 1
Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Is this car your DD? If it is keep it and drive it until you get out of school; then buy the car you want when you have more money. If you are driving the car to school everyday it may get door dings or even hit. Until your car is not a DD I would not worry about the issues you have brought up.

I had my 93 T/A painted and the first time I took it out and parked it in a parking lot someone bumped into it scuffing the paint. Many people don't respect cars as most people on this board do.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I like trucks/SUVs, but I could never have one as my only car.

IMO, if you don't like the T/A you have just because of color and body damage (but still like those cars in general), then just get another T/A.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Is this car your DD? If it is keep it and drive it until you get out of school; then buy the car you want when you have more money. If you are driving the car to school everyday it may get door dings or even hit. Until your car is not a DD I would not worry about the issues you have brought up.

I had my 93 T/A painted and the first time I took it out and parked it in a parking lot someone bumped into it scuffing the paint. Many people don't respect cars as most people on this board do.
It's not my DD and if I do drive it to school it is in the boondocks where people are too lazy to park, I never had issues with door dings etc. on either cars.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
12 Second Club

to bad its not an M6 or id take it off your hands. im looking for a white or red TA...

im sitting at the same power you are through an M6...

good luck with whatever you choose to do...
Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

why in the world did you sell your blue one in the first place?

What about option 4?

You said this is not your DD. Demod the white one right now, sell it, then buy another one and put the mods on.

You avoid the two payments and you still get a trans am you are more happy with.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

The only bad thing about option 4 is having to buy all stock parts, then once i buy another car, sell all the stock parts, otherwise it's a great option, however I'm impatient and I don't like being slow for long! Lol.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mmm yeah, i didn't realize you didn't get the stock parts (or at least most of them) with the car.

still though, Why did you sell your blue one lol.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
mmm yeah, i didn't realize you didn't get the stock parts (or at least most of them) with the car.

still though, Why did you sell your blue one lol.
I bought the white car bone stock, just sold all the stuff, lol. I have no idea why I sold the blue one!
Old 03-18-2008, 12:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I have no idea why I sold the blue one!
I remember telling you not to sell it, one of the times it was up for sale.

No one listens to me.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

I should have listened!