Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bronze fork pads for road racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bronze fork pads for road racing?

I'm building a T56 for a friend that is going road racing with it and got to thinking with the repetitive shifting in road racing if the bronze pads might wear out prematurely and if the stock plastic pads might me more durable. I have torn down one of mine with just a few thousand miles on it of ripping around on the street and saw noticable wear on the bronze pads.
Anyone have any feedback on this?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
wrencher

I would think the bronze pads would hold up better in an situation IMO?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They should hold better in the road racing application than the stock plastic ones. I would and have always used them in our road race applications.

Amber
Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

I dont iunderstand how you think the teflon pads will last longer than the bronze pads?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

As I said, i've seen it in one case on a trans with <5k miles street driven that the bronze pads had very noticable wear. I've seen a street driven 85k mile stock trans with little markings or wear on the plastic pads.
I have seen a tranny with 25k miles on it, used in more drag situations where banging the gears as hard and fast as possible, that the platic pads were pinched from the high loads. Typically, in a road race application, you are slightly easier on your shifts if you want your transmission to last a 50-100 lap race where you may shift 15-25 times a lap. Lighter loads on the synchros and fork pads but more time for metal on metal wear vs plastic on metal.
These are just thoughts of mine, I have no road racing transmission wear experiences and would like to pick the brains of some who may have.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
As I said, i've seen it in one case on a trans with <5k miles street driven that the bronze pads had very noticable wear. I've seen a street driven 85k mile stock trans with little markings or wear on the plastic pads.
I have seen a tranny with 25k miles on it, used in more drag situations where banging the gears as hard and fast as possible, that the platic pads were pinched from the high loads. Typically, in a road race application, you are slightly easier on your shifts if you want your transmission to last a 50-100 lap race where you may shift 15-25 times a lap. Lighter loads on the synchros and fork pads but more time for metal on metal wear vs plastic on metal.
These are just thoughts of mine, I have no road racing transmission wear experiences and would like to pick the brains of some who may have.

But #1 You have ATF in between the pads on the shitf forks and synchro assemblies where the keys and blocker rings sit in(I forgot what they were called) and on theoutside of the piece, the fork pads sit on... I took my car road racing after the rebuild and it held up just fine...

and #2 its bronze on steel... bronze is softer as is the teflon...
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 AM
11 Second Club

then again i do have some diffculty getting teh car to get in reverse and downshifting back to 2nd..

Quick Reply: Bronze fork pads for road racing?