LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

quick question about pcmforless

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about pcmforless

ok dont shoot me down compleatly for this repeat topic, i tried search but couldnt find the answer i was looking for.

is pcmforless tuning the same or similiar to going and having a car dyno tuned? my car runs rich and im installing headers and need a tune bad right now and If pcmforless is the same as a dyno tune, i can save a whole lot of money with it...
Old 03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Teching In

not the sameas you will probably leave a little horsepower on the table.That being said I have excellent results with them and not worried about little bit I may be missing.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

everyone I have heard of loves their pcm4less tune, I have one and haven't gotten my car to run right yet, but I won't point fingers at the tune, I have faith its damn near perfect..
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a dyno tune, minus the dynamometer. In other words, no.

I've dealt with Bryan @ PCMforLess several times in the past. He's a great guy to deal with. While I'm sure he can tune your car on a dyno if he's physically there with you, his "ordinary" service is just a mail-order tune. In other words, there's no feedback from a dyno graph or wideband oxygen sensor readings -- he's just creating a tune based on what you tell him about your car, and he gets it as close as he can.

Mail-order tuning is better than nothing, but a dyno tune will always be the better option.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

With our mail order tunes we take past dyno tunes from cars the same as your setup and use that data to make our mail order tunes. We have found that they are VERY repeatable as long as the car is in good mechanical condition. I typically only see the tunes vary due to bad O2 sensors, vacuum leaks, dirty MAF's, etc....
Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive really liked my tune, it runs great, but i run somewhat rich, I called and asked about it and bryan said it was probably because i had bad o2 sensors (they were all brand new bosch) so i considered that and went and purchased all brand new ac delcos, still running rich, no vacum leaks. So since its never been quite right ill prolly haul it down to straight line or speed inc and get it dyno tuned. Dont get me wrong Bryan has exelent customer service and all of his tunes are pretty close, just wasnt quite close enough for me.

I would Highly recomend them

lol the only thing i have to complain about is i bought the car with a pcm for less tune on it so it was already in the computer and i got charged 175$ again instead of the 75 .
Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

is there any real hp to be gained with just a cold air and a magnaflo? or is it not really worth the money with out more bolt ons?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

any mail order tune isn't as accurate as say a dyno tune, but you dont need a dyno to get that accuracy. I know of tuners, eventually myself, who use the street more so then a dyno and have much much better results. This allows load references across the rpm band, rather then just WOT runs

Aside from that, Alvin is a very competent tuner and has many many satisfied customers...including those we've turned his way. But im sure he will agree, he can only be so accurate with mail order tunes
Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by t-rocks firehawk
is there any real hp to be gained with just a cold air and a magnaflo? or is it not really worth the money with out more bolt ons?
Yes, even on just a fairly stock car with just a CAI and exhaust we can still pick you up 15-20 HP, also we can lower the fan temps, get rid of the top speed limiter, plus if it is an auto we can improve the shift points and firm up the shifts. On the M6 cars we can delete the skip shift as well.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 355z28
Ive really liked my tune, it runs great, but i run somewhat rich, I called and asked about it and bryan said it was probably because i had bad o2 sensors (they were all brand new bosch) so i considered that and went and purchased all brand new ac delcos, still running rich, no vacum leaks. So since its never been quite right ill prolly haul it down to straight line or speed inc and get it dyno tuned. Dont get me wrong Bryan has exelent customer service and all of his tunes are pretty close, just wasnt quite close enough for me.

I would Highly recomend them

lol the only thing i have to complain about is i bought the car with a pcm for less tune on it so it was already in the computer and i got charged 175$ again instead of the 75 .
If you go down and get a dyno run with the air/fuel ratio I can adjust it for you as well. I will do it for you for just the charge for shipping since they made you pay for the full tune (unfortunatly the update fee only applies to the original owner)
Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^see great customer service! lol
Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

if i go with an OBD I conversion, will i still pass emissions?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

What about tuning shift points! I know that a dyno will tell you when to shift but how does a tuner from pcmforless or madz28 know where to set the shift points for a car with a automatic? Is there any benifits to changing shift points on a car with a stock cam?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by simster571
if i go with an OBD I conversion, will i still pass emissions?
Sorry for the delayed replies, I was visiting family over the holiday weekend.

No, unfortunatly the OBD1 conversion will not pass the plug in emissions test.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black96Z
What about tuning shift points! I know that a dyno will tell you when to shift but how does a tuner from pcmforless or madz28 know where to set the shift points for a car with a automatic? Is there any benifits to changing shift points on a car with a stock cam?
I set up the shift points based on the modifications and past dyno tunes. From past dyno tuning we know where different cams peak HP wise (they are very repeatable). A stock cammed car can benefit from the shift points bumping up, and this varies on how much depending on headers, valve springs, rockers, etc....
Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you had a tune already and then added lt4 springs and 1.6 roller rockers, would you need to adjust the tune?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
if you had a tune already and then added lt4 springs and 1.6 roller rockers, would you need to adjust the tune?
You would not have to have the tune adjusted and it will run fine. There are some minor tweaks that can be made to improve it a bit, but not much. If it is an automatic the shift points can be bumped up a tiny bit with the spring and 1.6 rr's.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by simster571
ok dont shoot me down compleatly for this repeat topic, i tried search but couldnt find the answer i was looking for.

is pcmforless tuning the same or similiar to going and having a car dyno tuned? my car runs rich and im installing headers and need a tune bad right now and If pcmforless is the same as a dyno tune, i can save a whole lot of money with it...
Bryan has nailed exactly what I asked him for both times I needed a tune update. The one thing that concerns me about you post is in your sig you mention K&N "injectors" (K&N does not offer injectors), you also state you have no idea the lb. rating. They will need to know this in order to get your tune right. If they give you a tune for stock injectors and you have 30's your still gonna run rich.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLOWNDFIZ
Bryan has nailed exactly what I asked him for both times I needed a tune update. The one thing that concerns me about you post is in your sig you mention K&N "injectors" (K&N does not offer injectors), you also state you have no idea the lb. rating. They will need to know this in order to get your tune right. If they give you a tune for stock injectors and you have 30's your still gonna run rich.

hmm i didnt know that...there is a sticker under my hood that says "FIPK fuel injection performance" i assumed that meant injectors, but if not, then I guess i stand corrected.

Quick Reply: quick question about pcmforless