View Full Version : got my Midwest Chassis fab 9"!

GregWS6&z28
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
just in time! I had been talking with Eric before Christmas and put my order in just around New Year. Yesterday I got the rear and put it in and today went through the break-in process. I didnt come across any issues other than dealing with the brake lines. The rear comes so you can feed the brake lines through some stock style clips and a guide which I did not use. I didnt remove my calipers for the install so I didnt have to bleed the brakes. All I did for this was cut the stock brake LCA braket off and secured it to the said guide that was welded to the axle tube. I bent my brake lines so it would look a little better.

THE REAR IS DEAD QUIET!!!!!! All thats left to do now is get the anti-roll bar welded and set. Thanks again Eric! This rear is a work of ART. I have no doubt this will hold up to whatever I throw at it. Now on to the pics............
As it came crated. Alot of time was spent crating this up.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4822.jpg
Bolted and tied down.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4827.jpg
Parts that come with it
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4825.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4833.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4832.jpg

Where the brake line junction bolts
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4829.jpg
Where the ABS sensor bolts to the housing(sensor not included)
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4831.jpg

my garage
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/SSwannabee99/HPIM4835.jpg

uphigh07
03-19-2008, 06:43 PM
sweet looks great about how much did all of that cost you, i need one soon also and did he build the driveshaft loop and what not?

GregWS6&z28
03-19-2008, 07:01 PM
sending PM

RAGENZ28
03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Any reason you picked the "S" series 3rd member over the PRO iron nodular?

GregWS6&z28
03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I didnt need anything too fancy. this will do just fine.

RooRnZ28
03-19-2008, 09:08 PM
wow.... looks really good. i cant wait to get mine in!

94nitrousedLT1
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Looks good he did a great jo on my cage and I should be getting a rearend from him soon. What do you think of the antiroll bar? I'll be getting basically the same setup.

GregWS6&z28
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
the roll bar is very nice. I like that he powdercoated the endlinks too. I'm taking it tomorrow morning to get the tabs welded and then will do some more break in miles.

getusumws6
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
oh oh oh shits hot right. zero noise in mine too! amazed

SS DNA
03-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Was this rear end a complete bolt in ? or did you have to do any cutting, welding, bending, etc ?

GregWS6&z28
03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
complete bolt in, except me cutting off the brake brackets that go to the stock LCA mount

ssvert99
03-20-2008, 01:34 AM
^^^ this was the customers choice. there are attaching clips and tabs for the rubber hose to clip on if you so desire to do it that way. you would have to disassemble the hoses and pipes, reposition onto the supplied mount, and bleed the brakes to do this. the brake liones are probably the hardest part of the install. other than that, it is truely the most complete bolt-in assy you can buy.

GregWS6&z28
03-20-2008, 07:32 AM
^^^ this was the customers choice. there are attaching clips and tabs for the rubber hose to clip on if you so desire to do it that way. you would have to disassemble the hoses and pipes, reposition onto the supplied mount, and bleed the brakes to do this. the brake liones are probably the hardest part of the install. other than that, it is truely the most complete bolt-in assy you can buy.

word. brake lines were probably the most difficult. pretty hard for me to cut those brackets while dangling

daniel6718
03-20-2008, 03:19 PM
hmm cant wait till i have mine tomaro....ill be posting pics

_JB_
03-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Looks great! You have some balls to have the car in the air on grass!

wrd1972
03-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Looks to me the jackstands are on plywood. I would consider that fine.

Sideways240sx
03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Looks great. May be one of my next purchases.

Chris

Websy21
03-21-2008, 11:08 AM

I noticed that too but the rear is sweet and I am gonna get me one of these bad boys too!

Beaflag VonRathburg
03-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Haha, your garage looks a lot like mine at the house. Mine's the end of the driveway where it meets the road. I need some money badly. I've got to order three of these things now that I have the 93.

383lt1impala
03-22-2008, 12:31 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

SIC LSX
03-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Sweet! Any lets no if its loud ;)

supernaturalta
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
That rear is an absolute work of art. I've been rackin' my brain trying to figure out what I'm going to put in my car out back. I just found my answer. :nod:

SS DNA
03-22-2008, 08:30 PM

Can you tell me more about noise issues with this rear end ??
Can you built a compltely quiet 9'' ?
Is the Torque Arm noisy ? Im guessing because of the rod ends.

MrElectric03
03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
DAMN!...That looks great! Its nice to see a company taking care to crate it up like that. Im sure after my H/C swap I will be in need of one, I bet I snap my 10 bolt like a twig!

ssvert99
03-23-2008, 11:13 PM
any rearend other that the stock 10 bolt with the stock suspension components is going to "transmit" more noise than the stock setup. not that is "makes" more noise, just transmits more. the ring and pinions associated with performance upgrades will always be a bit more noisy than a stock gear, even in the stock rearend, so it depends on what you are after. "completely quiet" and "performance type rearend and suspension assembly" are usually never associated together.
i will tell you that this rearend and torque arm assembly is probably the quietest on the market for the type of setup it is. the torque arm is connected to the crossmember with a pivot link. there is a Energy Suspension poly bushing in the bottom of the link to eliminate the noises usually associated with performance torque arms.

so to sum it up for you... can i build a "completely quiet" performance rearend? probably not. but neither will anyone else, and don't let anyone else tell you they can. any rearend other than the stock 10 bolt will cause the car to have a different "point of resonance" than it was designed for, and will have noises. it's physics, not quality.

do my torque arms make noise? no. they may transmit more noise into the car from "road input", but they do not "make" noise. this is the nature of a performance based suspension component. the rod ends on the rear of the torque arm are soild, and fixed to the rearend when installed. the heim joint in the front of the arm is a aircraft grade(chromemoly), teflon lined component. the teflon liner lubricates and insulates the metal to metal contact, thus lessening any noise.

B-Rad420
03-24-2008, 01:00 AM
So is this an alternative to the M9 it just has a shorter torque arm and dosent replace the trans x member. Also seems like it would be quieter because of that poly bushing. Any rough price quotes for a bolt in housing with torque arm and mount/drive shaft loop. Housing dosent need sway bar mounts (want to use factory style bar), axles, bearings, no lowering brackets, phb, or lca's.

supernaturalta
03-24-2008, 08:45 AM
So is this an alternative to the M9 it just has a shorter torque arm and dosent replace the trans x member. Also seems like it would be quieter because of that poly bushing.

It looks like you can get a torque arm that mounts to the transmission crossmember or the shorter one that mounts to the tunnel brace. I think if you do a search you'll find his pricing, and find it VERY competitive with similar alternatives. :D

ssvert99
03-24-2008, 11:09 AM
So is this an alternative to the M9 it just has a shorter torque arm and dosent replace the trans x member. Also seems like it would be quieter because of that poly bushing. Any rough price quotes for a bolt in housing with torque arm and mount/drive shaft loop. Housing dosent need sway bar mounts (want to use factory style bar), axles, bearings, no lowering brackets, phb, or lca's.

the M9 is the same basic style "fabricated" design as mine. the M9 only has one torque arm option(trans xmember mounted and solid connection). i offer tunnel and trans crossmember mounted designs. both use a poly bushing mounted pivot link.

base package includes housing with all standard features, axles, complete nodular iron center section, chromemoly adjustable torque arm and crossmember for your application. true "bolt-in" assembly.
the standard features of the housing are: lightest weight/strongest fabricated design, drain plug, stock style anti-sway bar brackets installed, 4 hole relocator style lca brackets, brake line retaining clips, brake hose mounts, e-brake cable mounting brackets(98-02). some of these features are not even available on the others.

base package starts at 2600.00 shipped

getusumws6
03-24-2008, 02:09 PM
i've put 250mi. on my rear and i'll say my rear dosent whine at all (load/coast) and my torque arm (tunnel mount) dosent make noise. dont mean to intrude,just stating facts!

GregWS6&z28
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
its all good. mine is doing awesome. havent put as many miles as you but will get the fluid changed out before race season starts. The solid anti-roll bar I have is something to get used to. the links do make a slight noise on a bump, but that lets me know it works.

Nimitz87
05-19-2008, 06:48 PM
hopefully that S case will hold up:engarde:

looks awesome, congrats.

Chad

daniel6718
05-19-2008, 07:28 PM
ive put about 250 miles on mine no noise on the freeway at 70..or in shutdown at 110...ive never heard it at all...havent broken it either...

GregWS6&z28
05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
yep, im spraying a 150 shot out the hole and the rear hasnt even flinched.

cobrakillerta
05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
ive put about 250 miles on mine no noise on the freeway at 70..or in shutdown at 110...ive never heard it at all...havent broken it either...

its all good. mine is doing awesome. havent put as many miles as you but will get the fluid changed out before race season starts. The solid anti-roll bar I have is something to get used to. the links do make a slight noise on a bump, but that lets me know it works.

i've put 250mi. on my rear and i'll say my rear dosent whine at all (load/coast) and my torque arm (tunnel mount) dosent make noise. dont mean to intrude,just stating facts!

Do any of you guys get any banging/clunking from the torque arm?
What about any noise from a start/stop as the torque arm moves/loads/unloads on the pivot?

HSESWS6
05-20-2008, 10:21 AM
What about any noise from a start/stop as the torque arm moves/loads/unloads on the pivot?

We installed mine this last weekend and it had limited street break in before going to the track launching of a 6800 RPM clutch dump on MT 28x10.5 Drag and getting the front tires off the ground. It performed flawlessly and I have not heard any noise out of the rear end at all (accel/decel) and I have not noticed any difference in noise from the torque arm / trans mount that replaced a BMR adjustable with trans relocation. There also were not any issues clearing my 4" exhaust or hitting the tunnel.

daniel6718
05-20-2008, 10:40 AM
i cant hear it at all..its mounted by rubber...its the same as a poly.rod ended lca....if you have any kinda exahust you can hear then there wont be an niose at all...and you get the benefit of it not moving basically at all during launching

GregWS6&z28
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
ive heard the pivot joint a couple times, but thats ok. that lets me know the power is transfering :devil:

ssvert99
05-21-2008, 12:48 PM

the front of the torque arm is mounted to the pivot link with a teflon lined aircraft heim joint. the pivot link is attached to the crossmember with a Energy Suspension poly bushing that eliminates the noise. for the track-only cars i offer a solid type pivot bushing.

ICRAZY6
05-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Had mine long enough for breaking and trip down to Atlanta, Ga and no noise what so ever! Ran the car in the 12's with street tires just need to put the M/t's back on. Great product!!!! Couldn't be happier!

2SlowTTop
05-21-2008, 02:17 PM
:drool:
Looks to pretty to put under a car.. LOL