Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 chevelle ls1 conversion. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 chevelle ls1 conversion. Need help.

I have purchased an ls1 to put in my 69 chevelle and was wondering what all i will need to do to get my car running. Does anyone know if the oil pan will clear, do i need to put a sump in the tank, or anything else that i need to know about putting the ls1 into the car. I'm also planning on leaving the th350 that i have in the car in with the ls1. I am really clueless about what all i need to do and need any suggestions about the conversion.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This swap is now common practice, if you search on Chevelle or A-Body you will find many that are completed and running.... as well as on going projects. Research and you will find all of your answer and many different ways of doing what you want.

Suggest you also some of the vendors of kit.. S&P, BRP, ATS, Hooker, Edelbrock.

Depnding on what adapter plate you use.. that will answer your question on if the Oil Pan will fit. F-Body, CTS-V and LH8 pan are your options.

Yes your TH350 will with the correct Flexplate or adapter.

You can read up on my project by following the link in my Sig. Any of the A-Body project threads will give you good information.. A few Chevelle project that are on going are Stealth71, John 67, pist0lpete as well as a few other GTO's, Olds and other GM A-bodys...

BRP and Edelbrock have both just released kits that are complete bolt up..

good luck.. once you have reseached and learned a few thing.. come back and ask some specific questions.. and we will be glad to help...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

BRP engine mounts, LH8 oil pan kit, and crossmember. Hooker swap headers work great. Below is a 408 LSx 4L80E setup that I just finished using this setup.

Scott

Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Default Tank and cam

Do i need to get a sump put on my tank or will the original pickup be fine. Also which fuel pump would you suggest getting. Any suggestions on the cam. I am currently looking at a 233/239 cam. Any thoughts, thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is highly recommended that you use a sump in your tank around the Pickup. Fuel Starvation is not a good thing for a FI engine.

The most popular pump are the Walbro 255 ones if going intank, else the Aeromotive are also a great setup, but costly.. but a lot depends on what your goals are and type of driving and budget.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I always use tanks from Ricks Hot Rods, but thats not in everyones budget. Someone makes a unit that allows you to keep the stock sender, and install another intank unit in the top of the tank. You did need to cut a hole in the top of the tank, and install the ring. Not sure of who it was. I'm sure someone will chime in. It also had a tray in the bottom to pickup fuel from.

The cam will work put is a little big. It would require a 3500rpm converter, and some 4.10 gears. In a non lockup trans with that setup, its not going to be very enjoyable on the highway. Great weekend around town car though.

Scott
Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't want to modify your stock tank and a Ricks' or Rock Valley is out of the Budget.. You can do what some of other A-Body guys have done. Use a late model B-body tank (94-96). it will fit in your stock location with a very small trim of the frame and with modified tank straps. The tank is already sump'd and you can add a Walbro 255 pump. I use the Racetronix Pump and Wiring kit with a 95 Impala tank. You will have to make a acccess hatch for the higher sender unit.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

we did the conversion on our A body using our standard mounts, we did have to use a aftermarket oilpan and box the frame.... I have the mounts also available in a 1" setback configuration....

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...457/C/S%202370

http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc...id/86959/LS1GM

Quick Reply: 69 chevelle ls1 conversion. Need help.