Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Purchasing an STS Camaro, would like some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing an STS Camaro, would like some help

Hey guys, I will be traveling a good ways Friday to purchase a 2002 Camaro Z-28 with an STS turbo system on it. Mods are as followed.

STS Turbo T60 w/ FMIC and meth/H20
42# injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Comp 918 Valve springs
Comp chromoly pushrods

I have been around turbo'd cars for a while but not V8's. My buddy going with me has been around LS1's forever, but not turbo's. I was wondering what some of you guys recommend that I look over before purchasing the car. I plan on taking a jack to get under the car and everything. I really want to make sure all is well before purchasing and figured you guys could give me some good sugestions on what to do.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compression test. Had I done that I wouldn't be going through a motor build right now
Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a compression test and hopefully he's an honest guy. Any leaking from the unit itself . If he has been running over 8pds consistently and doesn't have anything done besides pushrods and valve springs, there could be problems. Check the tranny for slippage etc...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Teching In

He seems honest, but obviously I am not 100% sure. He said low boost is 4.5psi which the car has always ran on. He said it was tunned for 9psi and ran it 4 times at the track at 9psi on street tires and after those 4 runs he has not done it since. So besides those 4 passes it has always ran 4.5psi. The motor has 59K miles on it. I will not be able to do a compression test because I will be meeting him on his lunch break and dont have alot of hours to do things, thats the only thing that sucks.

Hey Trans Am coupe, the guy is in Sarasota, FL, you woudnt be able to check the car personally tomarrow and give me some feadback before Friday could you?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

LOL. I would but I'm actually in Saudi Arabia rite now...sorry lol. What you could do though is tell him you wanna take it to a garage before anything is final, maybe he would let you keep it overnite??? Worth a try
Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
LOL. I would but I'm actually in Saudi Arabia rite now...sorry lol. What you could do though is tell him you wanna take it to a garage before anything is final, maybe he would let you keep it overnite??? Worth a try
doesnt sound like a bad idea, if you are serious about purchasing the car,
he shouldnt have a prob. with it unless hes hiding something
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Banned

Yea, flash the cash at him, he won't resist unless he's hiding something
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Yeah, thing is, he lives in West Palm, FL and works in Sarasota occasionally. I am going friday because Sarasota its alot closer then West Palm. I have the money in hand, but not sure if I will have the time to let a shop do a compression test and all. Anyway I can tell anything without actually doing a compresion test or no?

Besides the compression of the motor, anything els you guys would reccomend checking? Seems like the compression is the only thing.........
Old 03-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Or if anyone knows a buddy in the Sarasota area that could take a look at it tonight that would be great.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

pull out the dipstick and let it run, if it puff's out white smoke, could be fried rings
Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
pull out the dipstick and let it run, if it puff's out white smoke, could be fried rings
Sweet, thanks for that suggestion for sure. If it puffs white smoke out of the muffler or dipstick hole?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Dipstick
Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much are you paying for the car? Whats the mileage and the mileage while under FI?
Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Bring an 8mm wrench or socket. That is the standard size for the hose clamps. Pull the intake clamp to the throttle body and check for oil mist in it. Also check the rear pipe from the turbo for the same. If there is oil in the intake it clues you in that there could be probs w/ the turbo oil system. Also, oil on the MAF (if it's not SD tuned) will rob the car of considerable power and increase the chance of knocking.

Check the intake pipes under the car for dents. Small is ok, but a large dent will restrict flow. That's not a deal breaker, but I'd argue the proce down for the cost of a replacement pipe. They usually run around $100 each, give or take.

See if the car has a wideband O2 installed. If yes, this is an excellent way to check the tune when test-driving. It also means the guy took interest to ensure that the engine was running safe.

All the other checks mentioned above (such as compression checks) are a good idea too
Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
How much are you paying for the car? Whats the mileage and the mileage while under FI?
The car has 59K miles on it and has had the turbo kiton the car for a while, I think a couple years. The guy says he is selling it b/c in West Palm and Sarasota he doesnt get to enjoy the car due to traffic and work. He says he rarely gets into boost which is 4.5psi. As I said above he got a dyno tune on 9psi and ran 4 passes at the track and that was all he ever did on 9psi. I am paying 13K for the car..................
Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Schantin
Bring an 8mm wrench or socket. That is the standard size for the hose clamps. Pull the intake clamp to the throttle body and check for oil mist in it. Also check the rear pipe from the turbo for the same. If there is oil in the intake it clues you in that there could be probs w/ the turbo oil system. Also, oil on the MAF (if it's not SD tuned) will rob the car of considerable power and increase the chance of knocking.

Check the intake pipes under the car for dents. Small is ok, but a large dent will restrict flow. That's not a deal breaker, but I'd argue the proce down for the cost of a replacement pipe. They usually run around $100 each, give or take.

See if the car has a wideband O2 installed. If yes, this is an excellent way to check the tune when test-driving. It also means the guy took interest to ensure that the engine was running safe.

All the other checks mentioned above (such as compression checks) are a good idea too

Thanks alot man, I appreciate the information. It does have a wideband and he said due to the weather changing it runs kinda rich right now. Right at 11.0 afr's...............

I will print out what you typed and take it with me to check things out
Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
The STS oil system is just a **** poor setup and if there is oil in the intake, that could just mean they didn't redo their pcv setup. No point in a guy losing a sale because of it. My two cents.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeramey
The car has 59K miles on it and has had the turbo kiton the car for a while, I think a couple years. The guy says he is selling it b/c in West Palm and Sarasota he doesnt get to enjoy the car due to traffic and work. He says he rarely gets into boost which is 4.5psi. As I said above he got a dyno tune on 9psi and ran 4 passes at the track and that was all he ever did on 9psi. I am paying 13K for the car..................
Ok I was just wondering how long the FI may have had to cause harm to the motor. If he has driven it as he says all should be fine. The car is not high mileage by any means and you are getting a really good price. I say go for it.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reocamaro
The STS oil system is just a **** poor setup and if there is oil in the intake, that could just mean they didn't redo their pcv setup. No point in a guy losing a sale because of it. My two cents.
The oil return pump for the STS is a crappy design. If the check valves are clean on oil return and the relays are good it should not leak oil into the intake piping. A lot of oil in the intake charge pipes is a clue that a relay is bad or the check valve is stuck/bad. You'll see oil in the exhaust pipe too if that's the case, as the oil gets pushed past the rings in the turbine (due to too much pressure). Poor wiring connections to the oil pump can also cause this. An improper PCV design will either allow oil into the intake manifold or blow the dipstick out. In either of those cases there should not be oil getting back into the intake pipe to the throttle body or onto the MAF.

As I stated before, a little oil in the intake pipes is not a deal killer, but it's hard on the engine, will decrease power, and can produce knock (mainly if oil is on the MAF, cause it screws up the readings). If run for a long time like such, it can cause damage.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jeramey,

The car you're talking about is Buck's Camaro, right? I was considering buying that from him almost a year ago (he mentions me in his original For Sale post) and he does seem like an honest guy. Of coarse, I don't know him personally, but he gave my wife and I a test drive and the car runs very well. I didn't have time to check the compression or MAF, but as far as I could tell, the motor and turbo were sound. He did have receipts for everything and the tuning shop he used is pretty well known down here.

Keep in mind, I saw this a while back and things might have changed if the proper maintenance wasn't performed. But at the time, the car ran like a champ.

If you do end up getting it, keep us posted. I'd like to see if anything's gone wrong with it during this time.

Hope this helps,
Vince

Quick Reply: Purchasing an STS Camaro, would like some help