General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Got the forged 347 for turbo build. now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got the forged 347 for turbo build. now what?

I've got the motor purchased. I recently bought a 99 Firehawk w/ quite a few miles & has a bad block in it. I also got an extra running longblock LS1. So basically I have 2 longblock LS1's, one with a bad block, the other in running condition, and a new forged shortblock that I will be using. If I can get around $2500 for both of the LS1's, I should have about $4500 total with my savings. What should I do? The LS6 clutch will need to be upgraded. The 10 bolt rear end upgraded eventually but I'd rather get the turbo going first since it cost more... probably wait for a good deal through classifieds on here. The last owner said 3rd gear was kinda messed up, so the transmission MAY need rebuilt. who knows I haven't drove it yet. What do you guys think should be my agenda? Clutch next? Exhaust setup with little backpressure? then what?

Last edited by candlelit; 03-19-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would concentrate on the motor swap first. Get the new motor installed and ready to go. There will be small odds and ends required you don't have for the motor swap. You always run into things, trust me. After the motor is button up I would move on to rectifying the tranny problem. Since you have a forged motor and are looking to turbo, while in the tranny go ahead and buy you a nice clutch such as a Tex (very strong and nice driving clutch research the manual tranny forum). After you get that taken care of I would take the rest and get some SFC's and other suspension parts. Buy the rear when you actually need it. After buying the above if you have any money on hand put it towards the turbo setup.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
I would concentrate on the motor swap first. Get the new motor installed and ready to go. There will be small odds and ends required you don't have for the motor swap. You always run into things, trust me. After the motor is button up I would move on to rectifying the tranny problem. Since you have a forged motor and are looking to turbo, while in the tranny go ahead and buy you a nice clutch such as a Tex (very strong and nice driving clutch research the manual tranny forum). After you get that taken care of I would take the rest and get some SFC's and other suspension parts. Buy the rear when you actually need it. After buying the above if you have any money on hand put it towards the turbo setup.
Well put. No real sence in putting a turbo on the car if the trans/rear are not built for it yet. You can baby it around as far as the rear end goes but that trans/clutch is a must. Id get the car ready for big horsepower as far as strenght then get it all ready then start on the turbo
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a plan to me! not sure what, if anything, I'm going to need on the trans. guess I'll have to pull it out after I have the car running & driving. which kinda sucks since I'll be right there doing the motor swap
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could pull the tranny while the motor was out. Do you know what its symptoms were? That would make it easier on the tranny shop instead of them having to hunt for a problem. If you wanted to do it the hard way you could get it running to find the symptoms and then pull it. That just seems like a lot of extra work to me. You said the car has a bad block, does it run at all? If not ask the previous owner to describe the tranny problems for you so you will know what to tell the tranny tech.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

That makes no sense to me to do the turbo build first.......

You'll snap the rear, mess up the transmission even more and not be able to hook at all with stock suspension.....so much for a 550 rwhp car right?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by link138
That makes no sense to me to do the turbo build first.......

You'll snap the rear, mess up the transmission even more and not be able to hook at all with stock suspension.....so much for a 550 rwhp car right?
I recommended to do the tranny, suspension and get the new motor in first. Then move to the turbo build. I would not replace the rear until it goes. We have got this covered with out the attitude. Read my first post, the op agreed and said he would go that route.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure exactly if the previous owner knew what he was talking about, but he said 3rd gear is sometimes hard to get into compared to normal? It could be many things though. but yeah I think I'll use that 10 bolt until it goes. many have actually ran 10's with the 10 bolt and it's still going, so I'll see what mine can do. I'm not planned on launching the car hard so that will help.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea get the motor in it will nickel and dime you to death
Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by crzytown69
Get the engine in and drive it around for a while before you decide what the next move will be. The car will let you know what you need to do next REALLY soon after you get it back together

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-20-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crzytown69
what do you mean by that?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

He means that there will likely be more costs to getting the engine in and ready to roll than you anticipate and all of the small things will add up. It will be better for you if you only worry about getting the engine in and ready to go and see what money you have left before you worry about what comes next

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup what scoggin said im already like 1500 over budget... there was always one last thing i needed or i broke (too many beers lol) all the joking aside though i didn't have my torque converter all the way seated and i cracked my front pump putting the tranny back in and now im out the money to replace that....it adds up quick !!!!!