LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

few last questions! (lifter/pushrod help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default few last questions! (lifter/pushrod help)

Ok so I'm done building the motor and it's in the car and been cranked a few times just letting it idle for ~30 seconds. I am having a few second thoughts on a few issues I'm having.

Here are my questions:

1.) I went with the 503 cam with stock replacement (federal mogul) lifters BUT have seen that a good amount of people WITH stock/replacement lifters have the power fall off between 57xx and 6k. Could the brand of lifter be the problem? Should I go with LS7s?

2.) My motor is a 355ci LT1 but my heads have been decked to achieve a 11.2:1 CR(with addition of Impala head gaskets). I am using stock length hardened pushrods. Did I choose the right length? Should they be shorter because of the upped CR?

3.) I am using Scorpion 1.6 RR with guideplates and Comp 918 springs and am having a real issue with getting them adjusted. Anyone else have this problem? Do you think the reason why I can't get them adjusted is because my lifters are bleeding out?

I appreciate the help and suggestions. Figuring out answers to these questions would definately make me rest easier haha.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be fine with those lifters. You might want to get a pushrod length check tool ,you can get them from summit or whoever and the pushrods not being the right length is probably the cause for your lifter adjustment problem or maybe your springs/valves arent seated right.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Travis,

you really ought to check pushrod lenght with a pushrod checker. I hate to say it but it would have been best to do it with the intake off so you could drop in a modified stock lifter to stay solid. Once adjusted the roller should start about 1/3 in position onthe valve tip, move torwards the center and come back (way I do it anyway)