LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 Stroker plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT4 Stroker plans

I don't have any experience with LT1s but I understand cars pretty well..

But this is what I was thinking about doing to my 94 T/A with 190K (which still runs great)

I have a 2.5 Electric cutout and was wanting to bore and stroke it and while the motor is out get LT headers and a good clutch, since my clutch wouldn't stand up to much more power.. Would I need to tune it after doing that?

and next I was thinking of doing the whole LT4 conversion. I'd definately tune it at this point. But I've heard people saying the Lt4 is not the way to go. I know I'm not going to get 425HP out of it, but whats so bad with it? Would it be better to get a bigger cam?

This is all gonna be a while before I can do it, but after that I'd deal with the suspension, rear end, and the air and fuel system. Probably in that order... how does that sound?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see any reason to do an "lt4" conversion. You'd be better off getting splayed caps and converting to 4 bolt mains if you wanted to go that route. If you are serious about getting 425 HP (rwhp or flywheel?) Then you need to be looking more at getting your stock LT1 heads ported and a custom grind cam. A descent rotating assembly would hold 425 hp easily. I'm sure some of the more experience players will let you know more and correct me if wrong, maybe old man caprice will let you have it
Old 03-21-2008, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The best ported LT1 casdting available are done by a shop in Concord NC they will deliver MUCH more power for less money than the LT4 kit.

Have proven to deliver as much as 430rwhp from a stock shortblock with an as cast intake, when you compare that to the best case engine dyno 425hp scenario of the LT4 package, the LT4 package is a VERY poor choice.

You need a tune after every engine configuration change. Tuning and other modification HAVE TOP go together.