Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 Vortec LS-series - are twin t70's possible

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Vortec LS-series - are twin t70's possible

bought a used 5.3 truck motor iron block aluminum heads, looking to twin turbo, i found a pair of t70's for 450... they look sick, and they will dimensionally fit in the car. What should I expect if i use them?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

I would expect a TON of lag lol.

I dont know too much else about it but unless you have 380+ cubes if not more it might have some spool issues. of coarse it all depends on the specs you build it with, cam choice, compression from pistons, or if you just use the stock motor (which would be retarded).

If your going twin turbo id either use smaller turbos or a bigger cubed motor.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy em, put em on. They will be laggy and stuff, but that is one hell of a deal. You could sell em and anything else you buy will bolt right on. Also depending on what exhaust wheel is on there, it might spool just fine.
I beleive some people think a little lag is the end of the world, but i find it to be a very nice thing when trying to hook on the street. And with a stalled auto you only have lag once, then all hell will break loose
Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

What he said. If you want to build the kit, planning for more motor later on, knock yourself out. But don't expect big things with the stock longblock.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
I would expect a TON of lag lol.

I dont know too much else about it but unless you have 380+ cubes if not more it might have some spool issues. of coarse it all depends on the specs you build it with, cam choice, compression from pistons, or if you just use the stock motor (which would be retarded).

If your going twin turbo id either use smaller turbos or a bigger cubed motor.
Tiago's old setup used twin 70's with a 346 and wasn't too bad according to him. Do you consider your setup to had a TON of lag?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Teching In

its the stock 325 but i figure that if people use these spec t70's on rb26 tt engines that are only 2.6L i think the 5.3 should spool nicely. no?, im planning on running 13-16lbs - (the 5.3 has a very boost friendly 9.2:1 cr) plus this is going to be intercooled air to air, ? would water to air be better?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Teching In

and a little lag of idle even up to 2800 rpm is fine by me, i dont want to have to worry about the rear end jumping out at 80 mph in 6th gear... p.s. I have a t-56 behind this thing
Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andy02Z
Tiago's old setup used twin 70's with a 346 and wasn't too bad according to him. Do you consider your setup to had a TON of lag?
My setup would spool fully by about 3600 rpm and with me shifting at about 7k I had a pretty usable powerband.

Like I had mentioned in my post before... it depends on his setup, what the application is (street use or track use), components he puts in the car (cam is a big factor that affects spool).

Plus tiagos setup was fully built, forged, etc...
Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000 Tran Zam
My setup would spool fully by about 3600 rpm and with me shifting at about 7k I had a pretty usable powerband.

Like I had mentioned in my post before... it depends on his setup, what the application is (street use or track use), components he puts in the car (cam is a big factor that affects spool).

Plus tiagos setup was fully built, forged, etc...
I'm not a turbo expert by any means and I wasn't downing your setup. I dont think he'll have a problem with them. Infact I think he will be able to spool them to any boost level that he can use on a stock short block with no problem. You said your self that the cam makes a difference. I would think a stock cam should make decent power at lower rpms and start to spool the turbos quick.
Like grr said for 450 its worth a shot and if they don't work, he can just bolt smaller ones on in the future.
If you can give some more info on your setup and goals we can better answer your questions.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andy02Z
I'm not a turbo expert by any means and I wasn't downing your setup. I dont think he'll have a problem with them. Infact I think he will be able to spool them to any boost level that he can use on a stock short block with no problem. You said your self that the cam makes a difference. I would think a stock cam should make decent power at lower rpms and start to spool the turbos quick.
Like grr said for 450 its worth a shot and if they don't work, he can just bolt smaller ones on in the future.
If you can give some more info on your setup and goals we can better answer your questions.
thats the biggest question that will actually make a difference. If he wants 600rwhp max then no sense in going with a setup that will support 1000+rwhp.

And no offense taken, I was just stating that the combo as a whole makes a very big difference between lag, functionality, efficiency... the list goes on and on.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the main thing you should consider is the turbos. You say you're getting them for really cheaply. More than likely from what you've posted those are master power T70s. I'd be on the watch for them coming apart or in the process especially if they are used.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I think the main thing you should consider is the turbos. You say you're getting them for really cheaply. More than likely from what you've posted those are master power T70s. I'd be on the watch for them coming apart or in the process especially if they are used.
This is the same guy who posted in the advanced section about getting a custom flat crank for $750 and a carbon fiber ITB intake for less than 1K$ complete. I'm pretty sure this is total bullshit.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

how do i tell if they are "master power" or not, i def dont want something thats going to blow up in my face, no matter how cheap they are (240/piece)
Old 03-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Teching In

also gametech - get your head out of your ***, or more importantly get it out of summit and jegs catalogs, and do some searching at legit machine shops and custom houses, clearly you have no idea what you are talking about - by the way all cranks are made first as flat planes then are twisted, to make dual plane... therefore you moron, they are cheaper to be made if you go to a custom house because there is less work involved. hence 750 for a crank made of iron (stock ls1 or LM7) or 5140 for 900 or 4340 for 1400... and all that adds up to even the iron crank only weighs 36 pounds what does your ls1 stock weigh let see ~54lbs - just stop talking
Old 03-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Teching In

if you bought one through eagle or arias or some manufacturer they would cost more because you have to interrupt their process to get your crank - a house doing all one offs will actually cost you less
Old 03-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Teching In

so to stop flaming, my set up is a bone stock LM7 i figured the t70's would be fine with the cam given it is a truck cam set up for torque not top end speed, but only at this time... i figured i would buy turbos just once, as to save money. i wont be seeing a ton of track time, this engine is being built for the street. eventually heads and cam will be swapped out, longer rods, and maybe the crank if i can figure out how to make it work. another aspect i've been meaning to ask about is whether longer rods are actually better?... i've read lots of stuff about it, and theoretically it is "supposed" to do wonderful things. I was looking for some guys with real world experience with it.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Teching In

bottom line will the turbo's work (if they dont fall apart) or not?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what a/r?

Marty
Old 03-22-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those are only 240 apiece new? EBay? They sound like the "Stone Mountain Super T-70" that are really only a 61mm turbo and considered junk by most every turbo guy out there. Master Power turbos a descent for a cheap turbo, but there about 600 each new. I have them on two different setups including my dd truck in my sig and have had no problems what so ever. Parishs crew have 1 on a stock 5.3 in a Farmont that they have beat the snot out of for a year now making 600 rwhp though a 4500 converter, th400 and 9 bolt, and have ran high 9's and have had no problems with. Master power turbos are not made in China, they are made in Brazil.

EDIT: oh and they will have master power cast into the compressor housing.
The 3 on the left are Master power turbos. All three are currently running.

Last edited by kbracing96; 03-22-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

**** thats what i think they are, they look identical, they're off ebay like you said, a/r is .60 i think or .63 - dammit, still usable?

Quick Reply: 5.3 Vortec LS-series - are twin t70's possible