General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Error code 0305 Misfire on cylinder 5 on 2000 firebird. Any suggestions?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error code 0305 Misfire on cylinder 5 on 2000 firebird. Any suggestions?

I received the error code 0305 on my 2000 firebird for misfire in cylinder 5. It is certainly misfiring. I've tried changing all spark plugs and all ignition wires. Suprisingly, it was driving a little better for a day or two (the whole car isn't shaking so much), but is now almost the same as before. Still getting the error code as well. Some people suggested the ignition coil or the fuel injector, or maybe even a sticking valve, but not sure which to persue. I would hate to buy so many parts and with my luck the last thing I try would work. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Teching In

$25 coil pack at your local auto parts store. i had the same problem with my 2000 firebird. let me guess, you have 60,000-70,000 miles on it?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brendan
I received the error code 0305 on my 2000 firebird for misfire in cylinder 5. It is certainly misfiring. I've tried changing all spark plugs and all ignition wires. Suprisingly, it was driving a little better for a day or two (the whole car isn't shaking so much), but is now almost the same as before. Still getting the error code as well. Some people suggested the ignition coil or the fuel injector, or maybe even a sticking valve, but not sure which to persue. I would hate to buy so many parts and with my luck the last thing I try would work. Any help is much appreciated.
I had that problem for awhile on my car... it turned out to be a broken push rod.... its not that big of a deal it only takes a few minutes to open your valve cover, and look to see if all the pushrods are still there. hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

First you need to do a compression check to rule out a bent valve/pushrod/head gasket leak etc.

If that checks out good then try swapping coil packs around to see if that changes the miss. If so then thats your answer.

You can also do the same thing with the injectors.

What does the spark plug look like in that cylinder? Is is really wet or does it look like when you put it in?

If it's wet it can mean the spark plug isn't firing or a bent valve.

If it's dry it means the injector isn't firing.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Jason
Old 05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 01TransAmChick
$25 coil pack at your local auto parts store. i had the same problem with my 2000 firebird. let me guess, you have 60,000-70,000 miles on it?
That's the V-6 3800 Series II and you are absolutly correct. Blew one of the 3coils in the pack. Probably caused originally by a bad plug wire that has now been changed, yet the problem remains. Hell of a mystery problem when it happened to me on my '01 V-6 Bird. The wires on the V-6 are prone to failure. If you don't want to just buy the new coil for #5 and whatever the other cylinder is, 3 I think, you can just move the coil and the misfire should move too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Error code 0305 Misfire on cylinder 5 on 2000 firebird. Any suggestions?