General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SIdeways play in front wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SIdeways play in front wheels?

Sounds weird I know but with sharp low speed turns, especially backing up out of a parking space or turning into one, I get some clunks from the front wheels, maybe just the passenger front, and it almost feels as if the wheel shifts with the clunks. Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lift the front of the vehicle up. Grab the tire at the 3:00 and 9:00 position and wiggle it. If you have any play there, they check your inner / outer tie rods. Check the inner by putting your hand on it while moving the wheel. You will feel if it has any play. Check the outer tie rod by squeezing it with a pair of channel locks and see if you have any play. If it is bad enough, you will be able to see it while wiggeling the wheel, and won't even need the channel locks.

Now grab the wheel at the 12:00 and 6:00 position. If you get any play from there, it is the hub bearing starting to fail. All are very easy to fix in the driveway.

Now, use the channel locks and squeeze the ball joints. Keep constant pressure on them, and with a pry bar, pry between the ball joint and the lower a-arm. Keeping constant pressure with the channel locks will ensure that you don't mis-diagnose it. If you don't do that, sometimes you won't even feel any play. Be careful not to pry against the boot and tear it. Water and crap will get in there and cause pre-mature failure. If you feel any play there, then the ball joint either needs greased up, or replaced, depending on the amount of play that you find. If you need any more info or detail, just let me know..

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 03-22-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: SIdeways play in front wheels?