Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A few BS3 questions...Do I have this right

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few BS3 questions...Do I have this right

I just spent a couple hours reading through the past 3 years of BS3 posts and I just want to make sure I have everything right and ask a couple questions.

The stock computer is only needed to run the tach and speedo correct? I have all aftermarket gauges except for the tach and can easily add that and ditch the factory computer.

If the above is correct I can remove all wiring from the pcm into the bcm(behind the glovebox) and all wiring from pcm to all engine sensors etc

I can use BS3 to control both fuel pumps and meth pump. I can use the boost control but it's tougher to change boost settings compared to an eboost2 due to needing a laptop.

I'm still a little unclear about the alternator setup and what's needed. Is it just a matter of splicing the resistor or should I goto a local shop and get the self exciting regulator for the stock unit?

Is there any spot better to place the O2 sensor?

My BS3 isn't set up for the tranny option. Is there any benefit to running my 4l80e off of BS3 versus the TCI controller?

This will be going into a 98 camaro, 408, S91 turbo, 4l80E car.

Thanks for any help, info or suggestions. I haven't started the install yet but will be doing so in the next week or two.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Launching!

subscribed. also doing BS3 3 and these are good questions. Heres one I found useful https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=bs3
Old 03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I just spent a couple hours reading through the past 3 years of BS3 posts and I just want to make sure I have everything right and ask a couple questions.

The stock computer is only needed to run the tach and speedo correct? I have all aftermarket gauges except for the tach and can easily add that and ditch the factory computer.

If the above is correct I can remove all wiring from the pcm into the bcm(behind the glovebox) and all wiring from pcm to all engine sensors etc

I can use BS3 to control both fuel pumps and meth pump. I can use the boost control but it's tougher to change boost settings compared to an eboost2 due to needing a laptop.

I'm still a little unclear about the alternator setup and what's needed. Is it just a matter of splicing the resistor or should I goto a local shop and get the self exciting regulator for the stock unit?

Is there any spot better to place the O2 sensor?

My BS3 isn't set up for the tranny option. Is there any benefit to running my 4l80e off of BS3 versus the TCI controller?

This will be going into a 98 camaro, 408, S91 turbo, 4l80E car.

Thanks for any help, info or suggestions. I haven't started the install yet but will be doing so in the next week or two.
Having done this before, i can guide you in the direction i went.

The Bigstuff 3 can and will control the fuel/spark managment. You can purchase GM trans as well to control shifting of the 4l80e.

You will need to Y the crank sensor, and y the VSS (need to invert one tail).

I am not sure on the BCM removal, it still controls the windows but you can easily wire them up as a simple circuit.

If you are trying to take out as much as possible, you can rewire the car to eliminate stock wiring. However, its not hard for someone who is used to wiring, but it will take time and patience.

You only loose about 25-30lbs or so with getting rid of stock pcm/bcm/all car wiring/ fuse boxes.

The boost controller in the bs3, most people do not use it due to get into the software. If your drag racing, a AMS-500/AMS-1000 will be your best bet.

The alternator is a one wire setup, you need to run a 470ohm resistor inline with a 12v source to the single wire of it, you can purchase a new tail for the alt from GM.

The 02 sensor, most people put them in the down pipe after the turbo.

After going over the options beforehand, it was decided hands down the bs3 would be the best bet.

The TCI is a nice unit, but your still left with a 98 computer. With a big turbo such as that one, you will be maxing out its potential. The ease of real time tuning and real time trans tuning is a big part as well.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought the TCI unit was a stand alone for the tranny and had nothing to do with the factory pcm?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

I thought the TCI unit was a stand alone for the tranny and had nothing to do with the factory pcm?
This is correct. It will only control the trans, but with a high hp / high boost setup, the 98 pcm is obsolete. A bigstuff 3 would be a easy swap in to take control of both functions and do it right.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:36 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW 98s start the alternator with the cluster, 99+ does it through the PCM.

If you want the speedo you need to keep the stock PCM. I did mine both ways, I originally kept the stock PCM for the speedo, tach and fuel guage and then got rid of it since I wasnt really driving the car anymore. But I still use the stock oil pressure, volt, temp guage and low coolent light, dont need the PCM for those on a 98. The harness on the RH side also has the starter and some other misc wiring so just dont go cutting it all out unless you are going to rewire the whole car.

The TCI is a standalone, I'm pretty sure you can can control a 4L80 with the stock PCM as well (but you need an RPM speedo/signal at the least, not sure on what else). Or getting the BS3 with trans control..
Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe I should clarify. I already have BS3 but it doesn't have the tranny option. For that part I'm up in the air as to which way to go to control it. Pricing will probably determin that.

What needs to be done for the alternator on a 98 assuming I ditch the PCM?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Great thread so far guys. Kinda like a BS3 for dummies. So you can ditch the factory pcm and all the wiring goint to/from it? Buy and aftermarket tach and speedo and the factory volt, oil, temp gauge will still work? What about the odometer? No knock sensors with BS3 either correct?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:12 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Maybe I should clarify. I already have BS3 but it doesn't have the tranny option. For that part I'm up in the air as to which way to go to control it. Pricing will probably determin that.

What needs to be done for the alternator on a 98 assuming I ditch the PCM?
Just make sure the wire for the alternator in the cluster is still hooked up, its one of many that go through the RH side firewall, like I said 98s dont use the PCM to excite the alternator, resistor is built in the cluster. 99+ use the PCM but you can just use the resistor on a 99, or 98 if you ditch the cluster.

If it were me and the BS3 was new I would see if I could trade up to the trans control or sell it and buy one with it, would be a lot easier dealing with one box instead of two even if it cost more IMO.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss_girl
Great thread so far guys. Kinda like a BS3 for dummies. So you can ditch the factory pcm and all the wiring goint to/from it? Buy and aftermarket tach and speedo and the factory volt, oil, temp gauge will still work? What about the odometer? No knock sensors with BS3 either correct?
Sorta, on a 98 the temp and oil pressure will work without the PCM, not 100% sure 99+. 99+ temp gauge is worthless anyhow, volt gauge I believe will work on a 99+ with no PCM. 99+ cars went to serial data for the gauges where a 98 is still analog, except for the fuel gauge which is PWM.

If the stock speedo doesnt work then the odometer doesnt work.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can send the box back and have it upgraded to trans control.

Kurt
Old 03-30-2008, 05:21 PM
8 Second Club

I spliced a simple 12v light bulb inline on the alternator exciter wire to energize it from a 12 volt source. When you key it up, the bulb lights, then goes out when its spinning. Seems to work ok. I got the deal of the century on my bs3. Brand new universal base kit, originally purchased for a big block ford. $650. Traded the harness for LS1 style back to John at BS3, $100 difference. Reprogrammed the box to LS1 specs, he had to add something to circuit board, $150. LS1 Injector harness $145. $1045 grand total. Big props to John Meaney at BS3, he is a busy guy but still took the time to help me out even though I bought the thing second hand.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by veee8
I spliced a simple 12v light bulb inline on the alternator exciter wire to energize it from a 12 volt source. When you key it up, the bulb lights, then goes out when its spinning. Seems to work ok. I got the deal of the century on my bs3. Brand new universal base kit, originally purchased for a big block ford. $650. Traded the harness for LS1 style back to John at BS3, $100 difference. Reprogrammed the box to LS1 specs, he had to add something to circuit board, $150. LS1 Injector harness $145. $1045 grand total. Big props to John Meaney at BS3, he is a busy guy but still took the time to help me out even though I bought the thing second hand.
Yea, the old light bulb will work, if it doesnt go out when running that means the alternator isnt charging.

Quick Reply: A few BS3 questions...Do I have this right