Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake...

I have been reading the pretty heavy debates on the single plane intakes like the Victor Jr. along with the GMPP Intake...Most of these threads were posted back in 06', so I was just wondering if any testing or any other information has been posted since. I am debating on making the switch to the single plane with my Procharged setup. I wont have the 346 cu. too much longer I will be using a 400+ cu. motor made for some serious boost. My goals are 850-1000 RWHP...or more

So with all that being said here is my questions for debate/discussion...

--> How does the Victor Jr./GMPP single plain intakes compare to say an LS6 intake on a FI/DD that typically runs about 9-10psi of boost?

Also...When I start building my new engine here within the next month or 2...When used on this high HP FI application will the single plane/intake elbow/90mm Nick Williams or similar have an advantage over the LS6 intake...on lets say 750+ RWHP...Now this car will still need to have some street manners because my design is to create a Super Street type setup...if that matters in this discussion...

Now typically with a stalled auto tranny the cars rpm's and the power band will stay at 3400+ RPM's up to around 6500 or so (On my Car)...Which just so happens to be the power band of the Single Planes...(3500-7500 RPM's)

*** The reason I have gotten this interest on the single plane is I see alot of the big FI dogs running these type of intakes making big power/and running some nice E.T.'s

Now before I get chewed for saying that...I have seen many 700HP+ cars running LS1/LS2/LS6 so I'm not sayin by any means that it can't be done or be efficient, but i was just wondering some of the NEW opinions on these intake comparisons!

Last edited by HILL_SS; 03-23-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Like you said it's mostly the big HP, big boost guys that are benifiting from the carb intakes. Mighty Mouse and KP are pulling great #s with their ls6 though. I'm running one, but I got it for almost half price otherwise I'd be still running the ole ls6.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 PM
9 Second Club

I dont know if there has been back to back dyno tests.Ive read something where a guy switched to a carb/elbow setup from a ls6 and didnt gain one tenth in the quarter mile.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I am going to be able to get the Victor Jr., elbow, and 90mm TB for just a little over half price...That was the main reason I was looking into it. Thats also the reason for trying to find some more information and comparisons

Also some opinions for a yay or nay for my setup...

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
Like you said it's mostly the big HP, big boost guys that are benefiting from the carb intakes. Mighty Mouse and KP are pulling great #s with their ls6 though. I'm running one, but I got it for almost half price otherwise I'd be still running the ole ls6.
A few questions...

What is your opinion on the Victor on your setup?...How much boost you running out of your turbo setup?

Also Is yours a street/strip? Or what kind of driving do you typically do in your ride?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperZ
I dont know if there has been back to back dyno tests.Ive read something where a guy switched to a carb/elbow setup from a ls6 and didnt gain one tenth in the quarter mile.
Comments like this make me shake my head.

If its a stock car or close to... why would a switch of intake change the cars performance at the drag stip at all. Hell even if its an agressive setup and the cam profile is wrong for the vic Jr... its not going to gain anything over the ls6, but thats not the intakes fault.. its because of a mismatched setup overall.

To take full advantage of the Vic Jr.. You need an agressive setup with a cam designed for the Vic Jr. Most H/c cars will see a benefit of running the Vic Jr over the ls6. Some people on here even believe that for a pure race setup the Vic Jr is better than the Fast 90, especially after some light porting/ portmatching, which anyone here can do in a matter of a few hours.

Last edited by sciff5; 03-22-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running the Victor jr. with a FAST 90 TB and an Aaron's elbow. I don't have any experience personally with the FAST 90 intake or even the LS6. I went from an LS1 to a BBK to the Victor. I can say that the BBK was a definate improvement from the LS1 throughout the entire powerband. I can also say that the Victor jr. has a definate improvement over the BBK from mid-range to high end with the bottom end being a little softer. Also take into consideration the TB sizes with each manifold 75mm - 80mm - 90mm. I made the switch merely because of better air distribution between cylinders and the cost was half that of a FAST 90 manifold and included the fuel rails. Your probably going to get many different opinions on this one. To each his own, I'm happy with my set-up.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I originally put a carb intake on because it looks nice Now I actually need one because of my fuel setup.

Pretty sure it didnt gain me any power at all though....but who cares ?

As for a 90mm TB, seems like a waste of time when most IC plumbing is 76mm OD ( 3" )
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

im have the vic jr but i got it to make sure the each cylinder get the same amount of air and fuel, plus it looks cool
Old 03-23-2008, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

The runners on the Vic Jr are not equal length, the ls1/6 are. W2W has tested an ls6 manifold with a wb in each primary tube and found nothing to show that is was not getting equal amounts of air/fuel in each cylinder.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
As for a 90mm TB, seems like a waste of time when most IC plumbing is 76mm OD ( 3" )
Very good point.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Very good point.
I am using a Vic Jr on my 370 turbo build.
I purchased the 78mm elbow to save 400.00 on the TB.
Now i can reuse my P&P stocker.

I didnt see the 90mm doing any justice with 3" charge pipes either.

Its kind of like putting a 2" valve on the end of your standard water hose and expecting it to flow more water IMO.

Now of course if you have 4" charge piping it would only make sense to use a 90 mm TB.

Derek

Last edited by Derek @ EDO; 03-23-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andy02Z
The runners on the Vic Jr are not equal length, the ls1/6 are. W2W has tested an ls6 manifold with a wb in each primary tube and found nothing to show that is was not getting equal amounts of air/fuel in each cylinder.
I was under the impression that most F/I guys switched their ls1/ls6 manifolds to the Edelbrocks to prevent the notorious leaning of the #7 cylinder.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Edited for tequila content.

Marty

Last edited by Mr.MartyStone; 03-23-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HILL_SS
A few questions...

What is your opinion on the Victor on your setup?...How much boost you running out of your turbo setup?

Also Is yours a street/strip? Or what kind of driving do you typically do in your ride?
I jumped on it because of the price(225 w/ rails shipped), but it also leaves me room to grow later on. Right now she is a street car(DD) and going to see some track use if the family life will permit the time. Later on I hope to go w/ a forged 370 and an SX88(or so) and be mainly a weedend warrior/ track car. Right now just going to push 8 psi cause of the stock bottom end.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO

Now of course if you have 4" charge piping it would only make sense to use a 90 mm TB.

Derek
It might make sense, but I still dont think it would be of any benefit.

What about turbo/blower to IC plumbing ?

I just dont believe that most boosted LS engines would see an 80mm TB as a restriction anyway, say up to, or maybe over 1000bhp.

( and yes, I went with 85mm lol just because I wanted to )
Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
I'm going to say this slowly so you understand...you...are...wrong. If you buy into the hype then....well you just buy into the hype. Read correctly ls1 nutjob, YOU WILL HAVE MUCH BETTER DISTRIBUTION WITH THE CARB STYLE VERSUS AN LS STYLE MANIFOLD, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

Marty
Prove it.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
I'm going to say this slowly so you understand...you...are...wrong. If you buy into the hype then....well you just buy into the hype. Read correctly ls1 nutjob, YOU WILL HAVE MUCH BETTER DISTRIBUTION WITH THE CARB STYLE VERSUS AN LS STYLE MANIFOLD, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

Marty
Ok first offass hole I wasn't getting smart with you or anyone else on here so I don't know what your problem is.

Second I am useing a single plane on my build and I am not buying into any hype. I simply pointed out two facts 1 the runners on a vic JR are not equal length and 2 the testing that w2w has done and what they found. There are many people that think the no 7 problem is not do the air distribution in the manifold. Also people have turned ls6 manifolds around and still had problems with the no 7.

You seem sure of you self. Have you done any testing that will end this debate? Other that talking slow?

Last edited by Andy02Z; 03-23-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Prove it.
I doubt he can.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

The important question always gets skipped.

Has anyone seen or heard of any problems with #7 after the vic install? I personally haven't, but would like to know if anyone else has.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

I use the Vic Jr. on my set up. I used it first because i thought it looked better and then as the more boost I put to it, I feel more comfortable having it. The higher HP and higher rpms will benefit from using the Vic Jr due to flowing better and distribution of the air as well!.But I have seen some rediculious power from the LS6 intake as well! Personal preference I guess?

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Victor Jr. Intake...