Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alternator issues

OK I have a 73 datsun with a stock '98 camaro LS1. Justy got it running and have a a couple issues. First off, it wont charge. Had it tested at Autozone and they say its good so I swapped out the optima with another battery that I know is fresh and still only getting 12 volts on the gauge and on my multimeter testing at the stud on the alternator. I have the "B" pin on the regulator hot with a 470 ohm resistor inline and it is getting 8.12 volts at the plug with the key on.

Also the belt wont last long the way it is. For some reason the belt is rubbing on the alternator casing and I tried shimming the idler pulley out next to it and it does no good. Seems the belt just cant sit on the pulley without touching the casing for some reason.

Any ideas guys?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The belt looks to be one tooth too far back on the pulley, but it may just be the picture causing to look that way. Have you used a meter to see if the pcm is sending a charge signal to the alternator?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

No ECM, its a carb setup and yes its getting 12 volts to the 470 ohm resistor that drops it down to 8.12 volts at the plug into the alternator but the output is only 12.14 volts which I think is just the battery's voltage.

I thought the belt was a tooth off also but it isnt. I dont know if maybe it is a bad pulley or maybe the pulley is pushed into the alternator causing all my problems. The motor came out of a camaro that was hit in the front but like I said, it tested good at the parts store
Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Well I flipped the belt around and it works fine now. Guess maybe a cheap belt or something. Anyway, still trying to figure out the issue with the charging.

Quick Reply: alternator issues