Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

one more how hard is it to???? thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default one more how hard is it to???? thread

k, ive had a set of koni shocks and a pro kit laying around for a month..after calling several shops i think i might give this a shot on my own...i hear the rear is pretty easy to do...but the front is what im not to sure about...ive got the install instructiuons from ls1howto...should i go ahead and try the whole installation on my own?? ive neve done this before, but i did put mu headers on my self/with some help....thanks for any advice....i plan on taking next thursday off if i feel confident enough to do the install my self.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a set of spring compressors? If not then you will need them in order to take your old spring off in order to get the upper perch (that top piece that holds the spring to the shock, i think its called a perch.) Anyway you will need one of those regardless. Other than that its pretty straight forward remove and replace. Ill be doing a spring shock combo here in the near future.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do it yourself. any problem that you have, i guarantee you that myself or some one else can help you through it
Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rears are simple, fronts,like mentioned above you will need spring compressors(fairly inexpensive) and are a little more involved, but simple. good luck
Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do decide to tackle it yourself, here's a tip that will help you later if you ever need to do it again:

on the LS1howto page where it's talking about loosening the master cylinder so you can get to the Torx bolts, it really is kind of a bitch getting to them...at least it was for me, because my Torx sockets are kinda long, and i really had to pry on the master cylinder a good amount in order to get it to fit in there. on the passenger's side, it is all just standard hex-headed bolts. they are the same length and thread, so when you reassemble everything, just swap them from one side to the other.....i.e., put the Torx-headed bolts on the passenger side, and put the hex-headed ones from the passenger side on the driver's side. from then on, you can easily get a standard box wrench (or ratcheting box wrench, to make things REALLY easy), and never have to loosen the master cylinder again. see the pic below for the bolts i'm talking about on the driver's side (the two just underneath the master cylinder).

Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

the compressor is really for just the front shocks right...ill probably do the rears my self and if all comes to worst that i feel like being able to do the fronts guess ill have to drive it to a shop and let them dot it..