Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing Upper Control Arm Bushings...

Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing Upper Control Arm Bushings...

Now i just lowered my car with Hotchkis springs, and immediately i heard this clunking sound coming from the front left when i hit any sort of bump that would cause the car to jolt up and down quickly.. It's almost like a tapping sound, like theres an abnormal amount of play in something. So i inspected all bolts, all tight. However, i have nothing to compare them to, (other then the right side) but the upper control arm bushings ( as seen in pic ) seem like they are a little worn, just because of how easy it is to get that control arm moving back and forth. I figure i will replace these and just see if thats the sound or not...before i go out and get new shocks. My shocks didn't make any sounds before i put the new springs on...so how could it be my shocks making the sound?

Anyways, onto the real question. I want to install them myself, and i see that you can rent a press tool at autozone used specifically for doing jobs like this. From the search i did, everyone has no problem with the upper ones. Can you just remove them by hand? Or is there a specific method for doing this? I WOULD REALLY appreciate anyone help, i am in a learning process as far as it goes with suspension. I did the whole spring install myself, so i'm not a total idiot..haha. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Come on guys!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Is that your car? If it is, your springs aren't Hotchkis... they're Eibach's.

The bushings didn't suddenly fail. You didn't get the upper shock mount to shock shaft nut tight (or you did, but didn't have the springs fully compressed and w/o tension on the mount) when you did.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Is that your car? If it is, your springs aren't Hotchkis... they're Eibach's.

The bushings didn't suddenly fail. You didn't get the upper shock mount to shock shaft nut tight (or you did, but didn't have the springs fully compressed and w/o tension on the mount) when you did.
No, sorry..it's not, i just used the picture to show which bushings i was talking about. Your talking about the nut on the rubber shoe that the spring presses against, right? Someone else said that could possibly be the problem....but i think we got it pretty tight..
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Well finally...i at least solved one of the 2 rattles i have been having. I will take the assembly out in the front when i have time..But i found the back one. I'm not sure what its called, but in the back where the panhard bar is, there is another bar right on top of it that bolts where the panhard bar does on the right side and on the left side it bolts to the bottom of the chassis. Took that bar out and HOORAY no more annoyng CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK!! Now if i could just get that front one figured out.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Silkrider20, you really should put that bar back in. It's a cross car brace that reinforces the PHB mount. You should try to figure out why the PHB and the cross car brace are mis-aligned. Also, since you lowered the car the rear axle is now not centered to the car so you'll want to go and buy an adjustable PHR or make your own...
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, i have alot of plans for this car....and right now i just need to get the suspension figured out so it rides decent. I will probably keep the stock shocks as of now, assuming the front shock is still good (still haven't figured out the sound) but Sam Strano seems to think its a loose nut on the shock mount, and i know he knows his ****. Anyone know the torque setting for that nut?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The torque spec is 32 ftlbs.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

the catch when tightening that upper shock bolt is that the spring needs to be compressed, then you can get an accurate torque reading.

tony
Old 03-27-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, i'm going to check it tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Update: Shock nut was loose, tightened it, no more sound. Hooray! Rear sound is coming from the Panhard bar brace hitting the panhard bar, probably just going to replace the panhard bar...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Upper Control Arm Bushings...