LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who's better QTP vs DMH ecutout

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's better QTP vs DMH ecutout

I'm probably going to get one over this summer and I was curious to what you guys think. I'm heard rumors about QTP but it's just that rumors. Never saw one malfunction. I've also heard great things about DMH ecutouts. And DMH's are only 20 bucks more. What's your guys take? Which one is more durable?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

so nobody has a ecutout huh lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

DMH is by far the best. I have one and it's been going strong for 5 years. It has recently developed a rattle, but I can send it back to DMH and get it fixed. DMH also has the best warranty, 4 years.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

i got a QTP only because my friend already had a DMH and i didnt wanna have what he had. stupid mistake. the QTP has a 90 day warranty and the DMH has a 4 year warranty. i didnt get a chance to put my QTP on until about 4 months (over 90 days) after i got it because i was at school, and 20 minutes later the motor stopped working. QTP was nice enough to put in a new motor even tho it was over 90 days because it had been on the car for such a short amount of time. i put it back on my car yesterday with the new motor and so far so good. but overall, 4 year warranty > 90 day warranty.

"edit" - if i could do it again, id forget an E cutout all together and suck it up and crawl under the car to take off the cap when i wanted to be loud and save the money for another mod.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

I've got two QTP's on mine. Had one motor that ran slower than the other and eventually stopped partially open. It was outside the warranty period as well. I took it apart tried the motor by itself and it worked fine. Reassembled it and it's been working since then. (keeping fingers crossed) Looks like it was misaligned from new.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
"edit" - if i could do it again, id forget an E cutout all together and suck it up and crawl under the car to take off the cap when i wanted to be loud and save the money for another mod.

only problem with that is.. when you pass a cop, you cant close it
Old 03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like my DMH. It operates fairly fast as well.

-Rick
Old 03-25-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have had good luck for 5 yrs with my QTEC.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Race Ready!!! Mine is kick *** and opens fast.. I talked to some guys around the area and the Race Ready is the one everyone has had the best luck with and likes the best... They say the faster it opens and closes the better..

Also, one of the guys hit something and broke it in two.. He welded it back together and the SOB is still on his car and working.. haha
Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
Race Ready!!! Mine is kick *** and opens fast.. I talked to some guys around the area and the Race Ready is the one everyone has had the best luck with and likes the best... They say the faster it opens and closes the better..

Also, one of the guys hit something and broke it in two.. He welded it back together and the SOB is still on his car and working.. haha
That is the new company...isn't it.??
Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

I've had a raceready for over a year and a half, and lost 3 motors already. They FELL OUT while I was on the highway, all 3 times. I would drive and hear something make a noise like a ball bearing was bouncing under my car. I asked them repeatedly to put some locktite on the bolts or something, no dice. I have it sitting on my desk right now w/ a missing motor. And I know I didnt hit anything b/c one day I saw the motor hanging, so I took it off and retightened the screws, and it still fell out. I've been waiting to get my car running to ask them to put another motor in, I think I'm going to weld a bracket to hold it on.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

I had the QTP, motor burned out on my after 6 months. It's now sitting on the top of my work bench and I put the cap on when I wanna be quiet. i also had to use the BFH mod on my underbelly to get the QTP to fit. The DMH has much better fit angles.

I'm looking into getting a DMH when I get some extra money.

Last edited by Segselah; 03-26-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannabess
I've had a raceready for over a year and a half, and lost 3 motors already. They FELL OUT while I was on the highway, all 3 times. I would drive and hear something make a noise like a ball bearing was bouncing under my car. I asked them repeatedly to put some locktite on the bolts or something, no dice. I have it sitting on my desk right now w/ a missing motor. And I know I didnt hit anything b/c one day I saw the motor hanging, so I took it off and retightened the screws, and it still fell out. I've been waiting to get my car running to ask them to put another motor in, I think I'm going to weld a bracket to hold it on.
Who is them??? Why don't you, yourself, loctite it and make sure its right...

Must have got a lemon I guess.. I haven't had any problem with mine at all and neither has the guys that recommended it to me...

Plus if the motor or anything on this ever does break, you can fix it yourself, just like the guy who broke his in HALF welded it back together and rebuilt it...

I haven't had any experience with any other brand, so they may be just as nice or work just as well, but I'm sticking to RaceReady..
Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
That is the new company...isn't it.??
I'm not sure about that.. Got it through Jegs if I remember correctly if that gives any information on new company or not..
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

I've had my QTP cutout since last June, about 10 months now and haven't had any problems..

it opens and closes great.

The only problem I had was with the guy that welded it on for me.. he put the motor on backwards and I had to argue with him to get him to fix it. The cutout and motor come separatley and the exhaust guy said he'd done them before..

thats why I try to do all the work myself. when I'm capable.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Who is them??? Why don't you, yourself, loctite it and make sure its right...
THEM being raceready. First b/c they said I couldnt open it or I would void the warranty. Second, I paid almost $200 for a cutout that I have to mod to make it work correctly? I wont have a choice but to mod it myself, but I cant do anything when the motor is GONE. I still have to pay shipping AGAIN to get them to put another motor in it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannabess
THEM being raceready. First b/c they said I couldnt open it or I would void the warranty. Second, I paid almost $200 for a cutout that I have to mod to make it work correctly? I wont have a choice but to mod it myself, but I cant do anything when the motor is GONE. I still have to pay shipping AGAIN to get them to put another motor in it.
Wow sounds like you really got a lemon.. you should have them just send you a new one, housing and all so that that would maybe fix the falling out problem.. I run with mine open a lot of the time and it's fine with all that vibration so who knows... Good luck and I hope you get it fixed buddy..
Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with the fact that the QTP has wierd angles on it, took me 3 tries cutting and welding my I pipe to get the thing to clear my floor and not drag and i still had to bend up the floor under the seat a little to fit. the DMH looks alot more compact.

one flaw with the QTP is there is no sensor to stop the motor when it is fully opened or closed to keep the motor from stalling. you have to time it perfectly, 5 mississippis, to make sure you dont stall the motor and burn it out. theres not even a light or anything that tells you its closed. im not sure if any of the other brands are like this, but it is definitley a design flaw.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
theres not even a light or anything that tells you its closed.
I you can't tell when it's closed, then you have something wrong with you my friend.. def.. hahaha..
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I just installed a QTP 3.5" and it works great..

Quick Reply: Who's better QTP vs DMH ecutout